Eagle II SL,
Silver Eagle,
Spectrum,
XLT,
V3I,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All. New to the site, but not new to metal detecting. I recently picked up a dead whites MXT detector that I cannot get to boot up. I am looking for some technical information or a schematic to help me troubleshoot what is wrong with it. I am thinking that water damage is the cause of the failure. I'm looking for a whites tech or someone with known information to help. Currently I have the top half of the display showing all segments dark. Transistor Q3 is getting hot when turned on.
Thanks,
Ryan

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: South Dakota for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for a member response - you might consider posting your pictures on BRANDS > WHITE'S for more exposure...
tn_link.gif
3rd - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a solution that is "close" to your problem on WHITES V3I PROBLEM AND SOLUTION (Sep 22, 2012)...if you search that forum - you will get other hits...

tn_link.gif
4th - I searched Google and found a manuals (you didn't mention the model number) so here are a just two I found while searching on for whites owner manauls" - their were others...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

Contact Garrett's Detector, they bought Whites. No one is going to have the schematic.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q3 is the transmitter driver, if it's getting hot it means it is stuck "on" and is dumping DC current through an internal boost coil. Most likely because the micro isn't providing a clock signal to it, which probably means the micro is dead. You can check for this with an oscope by probing test point TP13, it should have a 13.9kHz square wave @ 5V/0V.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you run that by me again.

Top Member Reactions