Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I should have posted here first. Anyhow, I live close to the beach. Less than a mile. I have my sights set on a BH TDI. However, I found a person selling a V3i. Health issues I believe is the reason for selling an unused Spectra. Comes with additional Whites Super 12" Search Coil & cover, 2 pair White's wireless head phones, Extra NiCad batteries, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer Vibration, 6" scoop basket, 2- digging knives, pouches, belts, stands, etc. all kinds of accessories. They are asking 695 cash. Is this a good deal, or is the system to much for a rookie? I put time on things I get, that's not an issue, but i do not want to spend the next year of time on a huge learning curve. I've done a lot of research on the BH TDI, and watched load of videos on the TDI. Very capable machine, waterproof or not. Your thoughts? Moving to OK soon for about an 8 month stint. Thanks all.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely NOT a beginner machine IMO. Welcome!

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a good deal for sure. But it’s not a detector for the novice. It has some turn on and go programs that will get you going. It’s not that hard of a dectector to learn. If you got the time and patience buy it.

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
That’s a good deal for sure. But it’s not a detector for the novice. It has some turn on and go programs that will get you going. It’s not that hard of a dectector to learn. If you got the time and patience buy it.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking into it and weighing the responses. I went to Whites web site and after looking at what this gentleman bought, wow! But at the same time, I understood this to be a pretty advanced machine. Dont want to jump the gun here.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great deal if everything is in good working condition.

Get the serial number and call Whites to verify the machine is legit. If it is less than two years old, you’ll have some warranty left.

The V3i can be a turn on and go machine, or it can be a tweak it to your heart’s content machine.

Assuming you buy the machine, I’d recommend that you hunt in the stock programs for awhile (learn the machine). Later you can start tweaking things to make the machine better for your style of hunting (and the conditions).

I didn’t find the learning curve to be difficult at all. I started by using the stock programs for awhile; adjusting only the volume and ground balancing the machine. Later I would make a few more adjustments – sensitivity, discrimination, etc.. - and then eventually set up my own programs (variations of the stock programs) and saved them.

Whites has their own forums – a fantastic place to learn everything there is to know about the V3i. Spend a bit of time reading and you’ll learn what every function does and how it affects the machine’s capabilities. (There are a number of specialized programs other users have created – you can copy them and with a few adjustments make that program specific for your conditions)

If you’re going to hunt the beach (especially salt water beaches) be sure to protect the unit (control box and screen) from salt spray (salt spray will kill a machine rather quickly).

IMO the V3i is still one of the elite machines on the market; the target information has no rival, the screen itself is far and away the best, and it is a very capable machine right out of the box. Learn it and the V3i goes from capable to fantastic – set it up the way you want/need for the conditions and type of hunting you do. It can be as simple, or as complicated, as you want it to be.

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the info

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
I received more info from the owner. The unit is actually a v3. From 2009. Still in the box. Accessories all still in their packaging. Never Used. I called whites with the serial number. They told me there is no firmware upgrade for the unit, but to send it in anyway to go through it top to bottom. They also warned me that the learning curve is a bit steep and a min of 10 hours a week on it, but a good unit if I do it. Actually said it’ll do everything except dig once you learn it. Lol. Are there major differences between the v3 and v3i? For $695 is it still a good buy?

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
I received more info from the owner. The unit is actually a v3. From 2009. Still in the box. Accessories all still in their packaging. Never Used. I called whites with the serial number. They told me there is no firmware upgrade for the unit, but to send it in anyway to go through it top to bottom. They also warned me that the learning curve is a bit steep and a min of 10 hours a week on it, but a good unit if I do it. Actually said it’ll do everything except dig once you learn it. Lol. Are there major differences between the v3 and v3i? For $695 is it still a good buy?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Pass on buying it. It has no update available? Something is amiss here, to have Whites to give that answer. BEWARE!

The V3, not the V3i, wasn't a great unit even after upgrading the V3...when there was an upgrade offered. Whites used to charge $100 fir that update, then it became free. For Whites CS to say there is no firmware for the V3, would automatically stop me in my tracks, besides...the firmware updates wasn't great back then anyway. Hope this helps.

I still own a solid V3i. The V3i is great but tricky for new owners. A standard V3 would not be of interest to me without any new firmware.

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Just spoke to Customer service. (No Names) There is an upgrade. Told me to send it in and the unit will be upgraded to a V3i. Did not expect that! WOW! Heard about whites customer service, but man! Nice! An exchange. Called again to make sure there definitely no firmware update. They clarified that.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spoke to Customer service. (No Names) There is an upgrade. Told me to send it in and the unit will be upgraded to a V3i. Did not expect that! WOW! Heard about whites customer service, but man! Nice! An exchange. Called again to make sure there definitely no firmware update. They clarified that.

The V3 is a V3i with fewer options to tweak. It came (standard) with the 950 concentric coil (vs the 10" DD coil that comes with the V3i). If you send the V3 in you will get back a V3i (I don't know if that will include the DD coil)(a new 10 inch DD coil runs around $249).

To my knowledge there has never been a firmware update for the V3i. The intent, when building the V3i, was to have it capable of being updated; Minelab sued Whites over that and Whites never made the V3i updateable as a result (according to what I've read, anyway). (By updateable I mean via the internet)

$695 for what will amount to a brand new V3i with two coils and two sets of wireless headphones (plus the other stuff) seems like a magnificent bargain in my book. The only thing you'd miss out on is the two year warranty that comes with a brand new machine (and the DD coil - I'm assuming).

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3 is a V3i with fewer options to tweak. It came (standard) with the 950 concentric coil (vs the 10" DD coil that comes with the V3i). If you send the V3 in you will get back a V3i (I don't know if that will include the DD coil)(a new 10 inch DD coil runs around $249).

To my knowledge there has never been a firmware update for the V3i. The intent, when building the V3i, was to have it capable of being updated; Minelab sued Whites over that and Whites never made the V3i updateable as a result (according to what I've read, anyway). (By updateable I mean via the internet)

$695 for what will amount to a brand new V3i with two coils and two sets of wireless headphones (plus the other stuff) seems like a magnificent bargain in my book. The only thing you'd miss out on is the two year warranty that comes with a brand new machine (and the DD coil - I'm assuming).

Maybe were not talking about the same thing, but seems I read somewhere that Carl at Whites was working on a dongle to upgrade the machine with but abandoned it because it was a tricky and time-consuming process at the time and he was limited on resources to support this feature.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe were not talking about the same thing, but seems I read somewhere that Carl at Whites was working on a dongle to upgrade the machine with but abandoned it because it was a tricky and time-consuming process at the time and he was limited on resources to support this feature.

My understanding is that Carl was one of the engineers who created the V3, so if Carl said the dongle was tricky and time-consuming I absolutely believe him. I do know Minelab threatened Whites (over updating machines via internet) so I have to assume we're talking about the same thing. I have read that the V3 had the code (to be updated via the internet) but that code was no longer there once the machine was updated to a V3i. I don't know how true that is.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I have a v3 that was upgraded to the v3i, i guess about 9 or 10 years now still works good when i have time to use it, the whites website has their own forum with a lot of info on the machine and programming it.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I bought my V3 about 4 years ago and I love it. Sent it to White's and they did the V3i upgrade for free. They tested and checked the unit and installed a couple of new parts at no charge. If you take the time to learn it is a fantastic unit. Also strongly recommend you read Whites V3 forum completely it will explain a lot.

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are referring to the VX3, which is the simpler machine with the 950 concentric. The V3 is the original V3i, which is no different from the V3i except for the decals and an earlier version of the firmware. Some expert users actually prefer the original V3 with the older firmware, claiming that the original V3 has better ground balancing. It's nice to know that White's will do the upgrade for free, though, if you want it.

The V3/V3i are great machines and it sounds like you've found a great deal.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a refurbished V3 and Whites updated it to the VDI and gave me a 1 year Warranty. I love the company. This machine is certainly not the simplest one I've used. There is a tremendous amount to learn. I have no regrets however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread