white's surf pi- pcb wanted or help

melbajoe

Dec 5, 2014
ct
Detector(s) used
excal II CZ21 sov gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old surf pi. The case was cracked and salt water got into it and corroded the circuit board. I knew this and bought it because I had emailed White's and was led to believe they could repair it. I sent it in and it was returned saying they no longer had the parts and couldn't repair it. I epoxied the case and brought the unit to a local electronics repair shop and the owner bypassed the corrosion with wires and it worked- for a while. I was using it (not in the water) when the threshold would go crazy and I would hear this pulsing tone. It would stop and be normal then go back to this pulsing noise. After new batteries and a cleaning it seems normal except it doesn't see a quarter at more than 2 inches! in air testing. Since I paid the electronics guy $100 not worth going back IMO. Anyone have any ideas? thanks

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Replace any capacitors that were not replaced. They are cheap and dry up frequently with age.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they treated the board to stop the corrosion it will continue to eat up the motherboard....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Both Rob and TH are correct. Any electrolytic capacitors and film capacitors that have not yet been replaced must be replaced. But wait on that. If the board has not been properly cleaned, corrosion will continue. In fact, salt corrosion may have already compromised copper runs and traces to the point of sporadic current interruptions. This problem could easily show itself with frequent, but not complete, loss of any function of the detector. It may already be economically unrepairable.

Time for coffee.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The danger is to the legs of one the IC chips, you lose a leg to one of them it is over..

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Agreed on the IC.

Personally, without further evidence, I think the board is already unsalvageable. Most people have no idea how to properly clean a salt water contaminated circuit board, let alone properly dry one after cleaning. If the OP waited more than a few hours before a fresh water soak and rinse, he may have waited too long.

Past time for coffee.

OP
OP
M

melbajoe

Dec 5, 2014
ct
Detector(s) used
excal II CZ21 sov gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the info - guess I'll have to trash it- maybe part out the coil and headphones which Whites did say were ok. Joe

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Perhaps you can get a kit from Silverdog. I have a PI kit from him that I have not put together yet, but the board quality is top notch.

If you go over to GeoTech, you can find all the info you will need and then some.

The form factor will be a challenge, but electronically you will be all set.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what parts Whites doesn't have because the Silverdog is probably the same design. I am in So. CA and can look at it if you want. Don't toss it - should be repairable. Who did you talk with at Whites?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread