Whites v3i Detech SEF 12x10 = iron falsing bottle caps

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased a Detech 12x10 sef coil, is there something about this coil design that causes it to false on a metal beer cap as a quarter.
It seems to me these detech sef coils are like this. Is there any settings I can change to help this? I know bottle cap reject will help with them, but is there something else I could try in my settings.
I just recently bought 2 whites v3i & still learning the machine, seems it will be a beast.
Also is there anybody out there that can recommend settings for a iron infested sites, like at old homestead sites, that have been tore down or burned to the ground. It seems my DFX is better at these sites at sniffing out the good stuff amongst the junk.
20220819_122325.jpg
Lol it could be to, that a i got like a billion hours on the DFX. Only got like 100hours in on the V3i & possibly need more time behind the wheel. Any & all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a DFX & V3i w/ stock coils so won't comment on the Detech. Got lots of hours on both detectors - but more w/ the V3i in the last 4 seasons. Not a wizard with settings. When I'm in an area with lots of iron and encounter what sounds and looks like a promising signal I generally examine the phase. When I did a bench test with the VDI Select by set to Reject <= 19 I was disappointed to find that rusty iron gives a high pitch sound and displays 3 green bars. However, the phase is nearly HORIZONTAL. That phase is not what one would expect with silver, copper, etc. that should be in the NE quadrant. As expected modern (unrusty) steel presently a low pitch sound, negative VDI, red bars, and phase in the NW quadrant. I realize looking at/thinking about phase takes more time - and sometimes I still get fooled - but its something to consider until another TNetter offers a better answer.

Lastly if I believe or discover a site has a lot of unwanted buried metal - I go over several times in different directions with the smallest coil I've got (4x6" Sharpshooter) first. While you won't get the depth of a 10" DD or bigger coil - the spatial accuracy is much better. Using the pinpointer or sizing mode you can get an idea just what size and shape the target is before you dig. If you're looking for coins and the detector is telling you it is bigger or 2 targets close together then you can decide if its worth digging.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both a DFX & V3i w/ stock coils so won't comment on the Detech. Got lots of hours on both detectors - but more w/ the V3i in the last 4 seasons. Not a wizard with settings. When I'm in an area with lots of iron and encounter what sounds and looks like a promising signal I generally examine the phase. When I did a bench test with the VDI Select by set to Reject <= 19 I was disappointed to find that rusty iron gives a high pitch sound and displays 3 green bars. However, the phase is nearly HORIZONTAL. That phase is not what one would expect with silver, copper, etc. that should be in the NE quadrant. As expected modern (unrusty) steel presently a low pitch sound, negative VDI, red bars, and phase in the NW quadrant. I realize looking at/thinking about phase takes more time - and sometimes I still get fooled - but its something to consider until another TNetter offers a better answer.

Lastly if I believe or discover a site has a lot of unwanted buried metal - I go over several times in different directions with the smallest coil I've got (4x6" Sharpshooter) first. While you won't get the depth of a 10" DD or bigger coil - the spatial accuracy is much better. Using the pinpointer or sizing mode you can get an idea just what size and shape the target is before you dig. If you're looking for coins and the detector is telling you it is bigger or 2 targets close together then you can decide if its worth digging.
Thanks I appreciate that, I do go to phase & check from time to time. I found out using the detech coils, that they are a powerful coil, & dont need all the RX cranked up. I think alot of my falsing was pushing gain up to much.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I appreciate that, I do go to phase & check from time to time. I found out using the detech coils, that they are a powerful coil, & dont need all the RX cranked up. I think alot of my falsing was pushing gain up to much.
Good observation. Like all machines more time on it is vital. For more help w/ settings - in the manual there are specs for various canned programs plus I've heard there are some custom programs on-line. For specific settings perhaps start with the program that matches your situation & tweak to your liking. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread