Whites v3i installing a ground probe/pin pointer.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok everyone I own a whites v3i I just recently picked up real cheap. I'm curious as how to install a ground probe/pinpointer? I've seen guys using the v3i with this setup. Is it something I can buy as in parts to make it a plug & play addition or is it something I have to build. Does anybody have any input on this subject? Thanks for looking & hoping to hear some recommendations. Thanks again.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my knowledge no one ever made a probe for the V3. Probably what you've seen are Sunray DFX probes installed on V3s. Sunray doesn't make them any more and while the DFX probe will probably function on the V3 the target ID will probably be off. You could build a probe but they are exceptionally difficult.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To my knowledge no one ever made a probe for the V3. Probably what you've seen are Sunray DFX probes installed on V3s. Sunray doesn't make them any more and while the DFX probe will probably function on the V3 the target ID will probably be off. You could build a probe but they are exceptionally difficult.
Ok thanks for the input, so Sunray is no longer in business or they just dont make them for the whites detectors anymore? I seen a pin pointer added to a whites v3i & it looked really handy over carrying a hand held pin pointer. I own a whites DFX 300 as well as the whites v3i. I really appreciate the help, maybe I can get lucking & find a sunray.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Sunray is still in business but the new wave of pinpointers killed their probe sales.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Sunray is still in business but the new wave of pinpointers killed their probe sales.
Thanks I'll do some more research. I believe I need the Sunray DX-1 which is no longer available.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I found out today my 6x10dd coil is bad is why I was having soo much trouble with my v3i everytime I put it on, it makes my machines go crazy.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Detek 8x6 coil. That 6x10 coil is so lame. The 8x6 really dances on the V.
I think I'll get Detek 8x6 & the detek 7" ultimate coil. Have you used the 7" Detek ultimate coil? Is it any good? I put my 4x6dd shooter on the v3i & I'm impressed with the depth I'm getting out of it. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm open to any other suggestions for the v3i too. Lmao no wonder I havent found anything, stupid coil was bad the whole time. Oh well I got a good deal on my v3i because of it.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I think I'll get Detek 8x6 & the detek 7" ultimate coil. Have you used the 7" Detek ultimate coil? Is it any good? I put my 4x6dd shooter on the v3i & I'm impressed with the depth I'm getting out of it. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm open to any other suggestions for the v3i too. Lmao no wonder I havent found anything, stupid coil was bad the whole time. Oh well I got a good deal on my v3i because of it.
Never tried the 7" coil, actually I don't remember that size worked with the V3i. You would also enjoy the 10x12 Detech, way better that the stock D2. The 8x6 is solid?

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never tried the 7" coil, actually I don't remember that size worked with the V3i. You would also enjoy the 10x12 Detech, way better that the stock D2. The 8x6 is solid?
Thank you! How well is detech 10x12 in trash for seperation?

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What type of depth can 1 expect out of the detech 8x6 coil?

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9+ inches here in my Texas clay.
May I ask? Do you hunt with a v3i? Is it your main detector? I acquired mine from a friend for $300, he bought it & said it's way too much detector for him. So score for me. Thanks for the help & replys. I'm hoping I like v3i as much as my whites DFX 300.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
May I ask? Do you hunt with a v3i? Is it your main detector? I acquired mine from a friend for $300, he bought it & said it's way too much detector for him. So score for me. Thanks for the help & replys. I'm hoping I like v3i as much as my whites DFX 300.
The V3i was my first machine starting in 2010 until 2016. I still pick the V3i up and test it in my yard, and if anything, it is deeper that I remember, especially with that coil. I have a lot of hours on that machine. But, I have moved on to the Minelab machines now. That V3i is a really nice metal detector. I love the polar analysis display.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The V3i was my first machine starting in 2010 until 2016. I still pick the V3i up and test it in my yard, and if anything, it is deeper that I remember, especially with that coil. I have a lot of hours on that machine. But, I have moved on to the Minelab machines now. That V3i is a really nice metal detector. I love the polar analysis display.
Well if you was to give me some pointers/advice on going deeper with the v3i what would it be. Kansas ground is high in iron I believe. Phases at like -91 to -93 most of the time, sometimes a bit higher. Usually shows like 1.2% to 3% on ground mineralization with 7.5band pass filter. Also if you get sick of my questions, just tell me to buzz off. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Well if you was to give me some pointers/advice on going deeper with the v3i what would it be. Kansas ground is high in iron I believe. Phases at like -91 to -93 most of the time, sometimes a bit higher. Usually shows like 1.2% to 3% on ground mineralization with 7.5band pass filter. Also if you get sick of my questions, just tell me to buzz off. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.
My first advice is to not focus on maximum depth, but focus on the analysis features, polar chart mainly. For depth though, run the 5k band pass filter if your ground likes it, and crank sensitivity all the way up to 15. My old V3i stays stable even today with these SEF coils running 15, and even with turbo mode on. The original Whites coils stay un-plugged here, except for the 4x6. That 8x6 SEF coil is a great for depth and stability.

Seriously, don't do like I did in the beginning and cram for all the depth you can get with the V3i. It is easy to hit nearly 10 inches with the right coil. The analysis screen is the key.

Just use a good handheld pinpointer. The in-line is over rated. You have your hands full with the V, pinpointing shouldn't be a focus now IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first advice is to not focus on maximum depth, but focus on the analysis features, polar chart mainly. For depth though, run the 5k band pass filter if your ground likes it, and crank sensitivity all the way up to 15. My old V3i stays stable even today with these SEF coils running 15, and even with turbo mode on. The original Whites coils stay un-plugged here, except for the 4x6. That 8x6 SEF coil is a great for depth and stability.

Seriously, don't do like I did in the beginning and cram for all the depth you can get with the V3i. It is easy to hit nearly 10 inches with the right coil. The analysis screen is the key.

Just use a good handheld pinpointer. The in-line is over rated. You have your hands full with the V, pinpointing shouldn't be a focus now IMO.
Ok thanks. I'm not looking at maximum depth all the time. It seems I can go just as deep with my 4x6dd coil as I can with the 10"D2 coil. Because of emi I can only get at 6-7 on sensitivity using the 10"D2 coil, with the 4x6dd coil I can get to 10 on sensitivity without issues. I'm still trying to teach myself, & have watched numerous hours of youtube on the v3i. It seems to be a beast if I get things set right. To me it's like the v3i is finicky to get a good ground balance. Thank you. I'll play with the v3i some more & see how it goes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread