Whites v3i was ahead of it’s time

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking back whites had great engineering , v3i was the equinox of today, the awesome color graphic bars gave you great information But it was hard to learn for most. Minelab had the copy write for 20 years on certain technology so that meant others couldn’t venture into multiple frequencies so to speak without violating there work. But now that expired so others such as notka makro are making them sweat, regardless if you think legend is knock off of the minelab 800, folks it’s much cheaper, so there’s the story, just don’t no why Garrett hasn’t move into that direction the vanquish isn’t there yet, ok I’m open to opinions.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thinking back whites had great engineering , v3i was the equinox of today, the awesome color graphic bars gave you great information But it was hard to learn for most. Minelab had the copy write for 20 years on certain technology so that meant others couldn’t venture into multiple frequencies so to speak without violating there work. But now that expired so others such as notka makro are making them sweat, regardless if you think legend is knock off of the minelab 800, folks it’s much cheaper, so there’s the story, just don’t no why Garrett hasn’t move into that direction the vanquish isn’t there yet, ok I’m open to opinions.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Whites simply wouldn't admit their V3i processor needed more speed. The V3i could have really been the leader but management didn't manage it right. I am not sure what happened in the last years.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant early violations of minelab patent that ended which means other can venture in this direction, minelab had that for 20 years I think, that meant they where only company that could go simo multi frequencies , until now

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sold on the V3i. I googled everything I could on it and even downloaded the operating guide to study. Then one day right before I was ready to buy, Whites folded and closed up shop. So I bought my Nox 800.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Garrett honor whites warranties now oh it’s over

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab isn't sweating Nokta, they are still a small player in total sales and percentage of market share.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher introduced a simultaneous multi-frequency metal detector in 1991 (same year that Minelab introduced a SMF metal detector). My understanding is that First Texas does not currently offer a SMF metal detector in their line-up.

Whites had several SMF metal detectors in their line-up (the first such model came out in 2001).

Garrett has a SMF in their current line-up (Apex). (Yes, Garrett honored the warranties on Whites metal detectors).
Nokta-Makro has a SMF metal detector in their current line-up.
XP has a SMF metal detector in their current line-up.
Rutus has a SMF metal detector in their current line-up.
Minelab has several SMF metal detectors in their current line-up.

I think the whole Minelab SMF patent issue has been mischaracterized to the point that false statements are now the routine. Yes, Minelab had/has patents regarding their intellectual property and how it relates to their development of SMF metal detectors, but those patents did not legally prohibit other manufacturers from developing their own SMF metal detectors (providing those manufacturers did not infringe upon Minelab's intellectual property).

Some have pointed to the fact that Whites paid Minelab patent royalties (regarding the DFX) for every machine sold. Some have likewise claimed that the same was true with regards to the VX3 and V3i, but that is not the case. Per Carl Moreland (Chief engineer at Whites, and now one of the head engineers at First Texas) Whites did not infringe on Minelab's patents and should not have paid royalties (regarding the DFX). For wherever reasons, Whites decided to pay the royalties instead of fighting Minelab in a court of law.

At any rate, both Whites and Fisher sold SMF metal detectors that did not infringe upon Minelab's patents - proving the point that Minelab's patents did not legally prohibit other manufacturers from offering their own SMF metal detectors.

My guess is that the next manufacturer to market their first SMF machine will be Quest - mostly because they have a history of fairly rapid releases of new machines. They also have a history of infringing upon other's patents, but I am assuming that Quest has learned its lesson to that regard.

I would also guess that Minelab is paying close attention to the new machines from NM and XP, but there is no reason for Minelab to sweat over machines that have yet to prove themselves (performance wise or sales wise). My preference is that both XP and NM (add Garrett to the mix as well) make Minelab sweat a bit - lighting a fire under Minelab's butt and driving new developments (machines) that push their competition into doing the same. That is a best case scenario as far as the metal detecting community is concerned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites did violate Minelab patents on the Beah Hunter ID, that was why they started listing Minelab patents on the detector and paid Minelab Royalties.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites did violate Minelab patents on the Beah Hunter ID, that was why they started listing Minelab patents on the detector and paid Minelab Royalties.
Per Carl (in a post sometime ago) Whites did pay royalties, but there was no violation.

I merely repeated his statement. I have no reason to doubt him, as he most definitely was in a position to know.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look folks minelab ain’t going no place, but that company from turkey is competing very well, be honest, loyalty once was but competition makes everyone work harder, xp deus is wireless nobody challenge them why because minelab and notka perform very well without paying the outrageous cost, my opinion but 650.00 the legend will push the minelab 800, fact, let’s see how they test, someone will get this month a give it field test

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per Carl (in a post sometime ago) Whites did pay royalties, but there was no violation.

I merely repeated his statement. I have no reason to doubt him, as he most definitely was in a position to know.
Why would a company pay royalities if they did not violate patent? I remember the lawsuit Minelab filed, the settlement was Whites would pay royalties and list minelab patent. Just pointing it out is all, doesn't matter now since whites went under..8-)

Last edited:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would a company pay royalities if they did not violate patent? I remember the lawsuit Minelab filed, the settlement was Whites would pay royalties and list minelab patent. Just pointing it out is all, doesn't matter now since whites went under..8-)

Cheaper to pay the royalties (vs fighting in court)?
Poor advice from their attorney(s)?

Just blind guesses on my part. I really have no idea why Whites paid royalties if they didn't violate Minelab's patents. I was just passing along information that Carl Moreland posted sometime ago. Had I read such a statement from pretty much anyone, other than Carl, I would not believe it. As it is Carl definitely knows more than I do, and it is very likely that Carl knows more about that than all but a very select few. I have zero reasons for thinking Carl might not be correct in his assessment.

I do agree that it doesn't really matter at this point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread