Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Metal,
I have been up Whitewater quite a few times ( on foot ), It's a very rocky terrain. The road ends on the east side of the dry river at a fish hatchery. According to Google Earth there is a road that goes further, but it's fenced off with a " private property " sign.

whitewater1.jpg

I know a old writer for Desert Magazine named Bill Jennings that was up that area a long time ago ( he used a VW -Thing- ). Bill has written and photographed deep in the canyon. I have not heard about anyone finding gold up in that area... But just before the hatchery on the right are a couple of small canyons that I " think " has schist in it, maybe worth a look ( I am not a geologist though ). There is " possibly " another route to a spot deeper in the canyon. Take the 62 north from the I-10E and exit Mission Rd. and turn W.

whitewater2.jpg

About 7 1/2 miles in you should be able to get back to the canyon. Be safe though I personally have not traveled this road and cannot vouch for the conditions. I did however fine this pix along the way....

hotels.jpg

Let me know if you go up and find anything... Or even some road pixs are great....

PLL

DSRTXJ

Jun 3, 2008
Palm Springs, Ca
That road you are referring to off the 62 is Mission Creek road. I know because I used to live in Desert Hot Springs which runs along the 62 right across from Mission Creek road. You can drive up Missions Creek rd for about 2 miles then you hit a gate. There is a stream that runs a long the road but it disappears into sand on the other side of Hwy 62. On the other side of the gate are those stone structures in the picture you posted. I actually have a lot of pictures from that area on my comp. You can hike past the gate but not drive. it is a VERY sturdy gate with more than a couple locks. I hiked quite a ways up past the gate one day with my cousin and we were met by a couple cars coming down the road. There is a house along the road about 4 miles up... We did not go much further because we were unprepared, it was about 105* and we had no water.. We weren't expecting to hike up, we decided to drive up the road and see what was there... I used to spend a lot of time at white water in the summer to cool off.... The water become VERY low in the summer. This fall I will be going back and hiking up white water canyon as far as I can... Anyone that would like to join is more than welcome...

Mike

OP
OP
Metal Head

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
You guys are looking in the wrong spot I think.

I ran into the guy again at work today and he said from I-10 get off on Whitewater canyon road and go 1 mi north to the spot.

I looked at satellite images and it looks like there are a couple dirt roads that circle around right in that area as if people roam around and park. This is in the same area as those wind generators.

He said that he goes up into the rocks and gets little nuggets here and there. The funny thing is he has a bounty hunter 505, I have one too and i can tell you, that machine will not hit on small gold. So I am sure he is missing some stuff.

I wonder how many others know about this spot.

If anyone gets up there let me know. I have to work all the time lately and have to make do with hitting tot lots and stuff. I just ordered an Explorer SE though so as soon as learn it i will be lookin to score some nugs somewhere.

HH

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yeah, he must be talking about this trail.
If you take peglegs directions you can still get up fairly far.

You must be talking about this way. Take the same way pegleg posted except you would need to make a left onto the jeep trail, left of the pumping station. This jeep trail takes you up by the windmills and back up into the Mt's. The pumping station actually pumps the final leg of Colorado River water into the whiter water river drainage so that it can travel down into the valley via gravity and into peculation pounds as well as over into snow creek so that it can be sent by tunnel under the S.J. Mts.

Very light prospecting activity has been done in that area, you can see a few audits. But I don’t think much is to be found as did the old-timers. I metal detected in the area and found a prospectors loop. If you want to find gold, go up into Rattlesnake Canyon.

OP
OP
Metal Head

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
I assume you mean rattlesnake canyon off of the 247 hwy.

How far up do you have to go? What size nuggets are average there?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Up in the 5000' range and higher. They have lots of claims in the area so be advised, the nuggets can be over 2 ounces. You'll need a four wheel drive vehicle to get up there. Everyone knows about this area, so it has been pounded but it still produces nuggets.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Gang,
I went back to Whitwater today and man was it HOT !!!!! After I got back I found out it was 104.. I went as far as the Fish hatchery and was able to talk to one of the rangers. He said that yes one can come as far as the hatchery with a vehicle, but beyond that you can only go by foot. He also said that it was about 25 miles to the end of the canyon. Further up the canyon the Pacific Crest Trail does intersect with the Whitwater Preserve.

whtwtr26.JPG

As far as if there is any gold in the area... I think there is. I forgot that the last time I was there I was very surprised at how much black sand there was. If you look at the edge of the stream you can see the sparkle of what appears to be gold flakes or a dustlike material.

whtwtr17.JPG

whtwtr19.JPG

If I was in better shape or was able to get a vehicle up the canyon I think there would be a chance of some real fines. One problem might be trying to get it past the ranger station.Not that it would be " too " difficult but I would hate to be caught with it on the way back. On the other hand, if one could clean it ( by panning it and keeping the gold ) and just bring back a amount that you could carry in you backpack without causing hardship. Then I would assume one could probably do well. Most likely a young mans game. However if one wants a little adventure and have some coool fun with the family. Then I would suggest to get to the hatchery and enjoy the scenery and have great time hiking. Some of the views there are awesome....

whtwtr32.JPG

whtwtr41.JPG

whtwtr22.JPG

Enjoy
PLL

OP
OP
Metal Head

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Nice pics peg!

As far as the nuggets I ran in to someone else that confirmed nuggets on the hills exactly 1 MILE north of I-10 on whitewater canyon road. This is quite a ways before the ranger station.

I still can not confirm who owns the property.

What is the best way to do that?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, I have to say I'm not sure if " nuggets " can be found that far down stream. If you're only a mile from the freeway I would think that many people would be aware.

whitewater99.jpg

If it has then I would assume that it would be coming from some side canyon. There is one on the leftside of the river that looks promising.

whitewater98.jpg

I still think that the big ones would be more upstream than anything. If you find any I would LOVE to see a pix if you're willing...

PLL

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hey, my mom was born in Palm Springs. And I'm a native of the area. I remember back around 1965 give or take a year that the whitewater river almost crested Hwy 10s overpass. Back in the day, my mom had to take jackrabbit trail to get to Riverside from Palms Springs. Back then there was no Hwy. 60 or a Hwy 10 for that matter. My Mom has told me stories about how they had to make the trip from Palm Springs to Riverside and back in a Model T.

My great uncle, Lawrence Crossley, opened up the first Water company in Palm Springs. He bought 40 acres from the Chief. He has a Road named after him at this Google map location: Crossley Rd @33.810443, -116.484257 and this is the housing tract that is named after him, and this street bares first name: Lawrence St @33.799424, -116.477141

My Grandfather actually opened and closed the valves at the Pumping station in Whitewater Canyon. That was back in the 30’s, 40's and 50's.

The overburden is so deep in the canyon that if there was gold there you would need heavy equipment to get down to it. I know. Gold is where you find it. But it’s best to go where gold has been found before. No mines are in the area, and that means there is a high probability that gold isn’t either. Old Dale, New Dale and Rattlesnake Canyon are your best bets. If you want to find small gold and you have a dry washer you can try this spot, the Ben Butler Mine:
Unknown road @34.198590, -115.961540
And it’s open up to Recreational Mining, I have found color there and the land is administered by the BLM.

Quoted from:
http://www.guiltandpleasure.com/index.php?site=rebootgp&page=gp_article&id=118

“There’s the story of Lawrence Crossley, who came to Palm Springs in 1928 as the chauffeur of the wealthy white developer Prescott T. Stevens. One of the city’s first black residents, Crossley — whose biography is shelved right after Bing Crosby’s in the local history archives of the Palm Springs Library — helped Stevens develop El Mirador Hotel and is credited with building its nine-hole golf course, the city’s first. Crossley couldn’t play there, though, nor could he stay at the Mirador.

When black entertainers such as Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and Mahalia Jackson came to Palm Springs, they weren’t allowed at El Mirador, the very place where for six winters in the thirties, two white men pretending to be black broadcast the legendary Amos ’n’ Andy radio show.”

End Quote.

If you really want a good read, take a look at what they did to the people who lived in Section 14. And you can also see the complete story of my uncle in the Press Enterprise archives.

One more thing, the Whitewater River Rock Company has been there years. And if gold was any place near by they surely would have started mining it by now.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Ant, if there is any gold close to the fwy someone would have taken I it by now. Metalhead, I would just really q&a your source a little more. While doing many interviews " some " people tend to stretch the truth. I met a guy who said he used to go out on the desert with Charles McCloud ( from the book Golden Mirages ). At the time he was nearly 90 years old. After spending some time with him I realized that he had been with a group of men near the upper willows in Anza Borrego, But, not Charlie. With that being said I do people that there is color there. There seems to be a pattern with good sites. One you can't get to it with a vehicle ( you have to hike a loooong way ). Two, they almost always have a nature preserve covering almost all the area. Which means someone who might know the signs of color hasn't been able to get there in a long time. I do believe it's there.... just on the other end of the canyon..
If you want to look for something interesting, then there are two places to look at. The first is where the old stage station used to be. Which should be somewhere close to the hill next to the stone shop.

whtwtr4.JPG

If you go W on the 10 next to where the rest stops are, that would be where the corrals were.

whtwtr49.JPG

According to what I read, Whitewater station was looked upon as the last stop on the desert. The next stop was Banning, and then on to LA. If you are able to locate the " exact " site of the station there should be some great relics from there. But be careful, I'm sure the people who work there are not going to be too happy about anyone mding the area. But let me know if you find anything, relics...gold...sunburn...

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After mullng this thing over for a bit, I was thinking just how far could I walk and still be able to pan a little. I have included a map that would show how far 2 miles from the fish hatchery. As you can see that's pretty deep in the canyon, and if you can't find color there. Then pack up and go home. It just wouldn't be worth it. Remember also this is the " Whitewater Preserve " and it states on the signage " no collecting allowed ". So if you get caught ,I'm sure the penalty would be high.

whitewater97.jpg

Enjoy
PLL

OP
OP
Metal Head

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Well, from what I gather this is the spot (shown in the red circle). I will probably go check it out next time I am in the area.
If anyone goes let me know.

the spot.jpg

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey metalhead,
I would go up with you if you can go early in the week ( I work retail- which means I work EVERY weekend ). I'm usually off Mon and Tues. The area you are showing is directly across from the pumping station and the place is on private land. Some of it is fenced in. I would like to hear more about how your source found the nuggets ... If you're willing. If we do go I will show you where I think there is some flake as well...

PLL

OP
OP
Metal Head

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
I would love to go, but if it is private property I would be reluctant.

As far as my source is concerned, he is just a customer I see from time to time. All I know is 1 mile north of the 10 on whitewater canyon rd.
On the left side and "up in the rocks". That is as much detail as I got. He supposedly got a 5 gram nugget and some smaller ones as well.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
This is the trail I’m referring to Whitewater Canyon Rd @ 33.932994, -116.641465

At one time this trail was on BLM Land, but now that these power companies have come in the land might be under the private control. The wind powered generators that are south of the 10 are located on leased BLM land.

Hey, we are gettin shut out of more and more public land as I write.

You can also see if there is a way up by asking the BLM office in Palm Springs. They are located near the Pilot on Indian Trail. You can also try to secure permission to use the Verbena or Cabazon Indian way.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really enjoyed this thread and hope this is not too much OT.

Have some fond memories of fishing at the hatchery back quite a few years ago. Remember it was on a per fish basis in one pond and on a per pound basis in another. My older son was about 5 or 6 and really enjoyed pulling in the trout. I cheated a bit by breaking off the barb on the hook so we could 'allow' the smaller fish to escape. :icon_pirat:

We'd cook the fish up at the picnic area and wow such a great time. I'd imagine good MD'ing at the picnic grounds if possible ???

I'd love to take a little day trip and see what's happening these days ... maybe even look for a nugget?

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread