Whose good at dating keys?

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) Nice find Lance,I have a lot of the old keys but i have not come across one that odd. Good luck on your info,quest.HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Thanks Downindixie, but I believe that this one is a bit older. Take a look at the cut in the key and how it is on a 45 degree angle on both sides along with the size and thiness of the loop. Lance

Upvote 0
I found two keys like yours, one fairly large, with the same heavy green patina. Judging by the amount of datable artifacts at the two sites, I would say that my two keys date to around 1830 to 1850. I'm lazy at taking pics, but I am sure that they are identicle to your key.
Not the same as the other keys from the 20's (other pic)
Nice find,
Dave.

Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
ComfyinVermont-

Just to add to your research....I have a key very similar to yours, same size, same patina, etc. Found at a site where most of the coins detected are from the 1850's and 60's.

T. Haire

Upvote 0
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Thanks again. I think that this is more in the range. The area I found it in was a trash pit from a house that was built in 1801. I have found a lot of items in this area that I can date from the first half the ninteenth century. I would still like to find out about the forty five degree cuts on the blade. I have not seen these before...Lance

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread