Why a Whites instead of one of the others

S

sobered91

Why a White's instead of one of the others

Hi

I'm thinking of getting involved with metaldetecting,but there's so much information about all the different detectors it's got my head swimming.
I'll be moving to England soon and I want to take the best detector for the conditions over there.
I have never even picked up a metal detector before,but it seems like it might be a good hobby to get into
So,to the subject,why a White's instead of one of the others?

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Re: Why a White's instead of one of the others

I'd wait till I got across the pond before buying a detector. Why take the risk of having it damaged on the trip? Then when you get there you can find out which detector the locals like best. I believe some makes of detectors work better in certain conditions than others.
As to the question why Whites? They've been around a long time. Customer service is second to none. They make a quality product at a reasonable price. Are they better than others? They're better than a lot, not as good as a few. But in my book, dollar for dollar, you just can't go wrong with buying a Whites.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On reason to buy in the States is that you will save 30 or even 50 % over the U.K. price. On the other hand many machines are altered to cope with our ground conditions so a U.S.Tesoro Tejon will not be the same as our black Tejon. A U.S. DFX will not be legal to use in Europe (ours have a ferrite similar to those on the backs of many computers) and a older (pre noise cancel) Minelab Sovereign may suffer interference as transmissions from our military hit on one of the frequencies used.
Only definate thing to say is that you should have some form of adjustable ground balance and if you decide to get a spare coil go for a smaller than stock size as a good old site will have three thousand years of iron and other scrap mixed in with the good stuff.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005

because they are the best...truest cleanest machines out there.....aloha the johny muckster

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would send the question of a different detector for different countries to the manufacturer. It may be true for some and not others. In the UK detector club outings can be as large as 2000 people, I would simply check one out and see what is the most popular. Members of my local club have been to the UK many times and I do not remember any report of a certain not working. Most of the members going did have upper line detectors, (whites XLT, DFX, Minelab Explorer, Fisher CZ 3D). I would search for a web site promoting UK hunts and try to contact the person running them and ask what he sees people and what he may recommend. Good luck and old roman coins to you Sobered91.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread