Why all the negativity?

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Nokta Makro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to give my opinion on what I am seeing in the metal detecting world today. Let me start by saying I always had a passion for finding treasure. The thrill of the hunt, and the feeling you get when finding something. I figured I would get into metal detecting. As someone who didn't have a clue where to begin I relied on YouTube for help and guidance. That was a year ago, and I've learned a lot within my year of enjoying this hobby. Even after a year I am by no means a professional. Just your average Joe going out on weekends or free time to detect. One of the things I've noticed as a result of relying on YouTube is all the negativity and bashing going on. You almost cant get on YouTube without coming across a video of someone bashing someone else. To be honest it's kind of a bummer. I think most of you all have a good idea of the most recent one going on. There are also other videos out of other people being bashed or calling people out. What is the point of doing so? Yes I like watching videos of people testing machines and giving their opinion, but to bash someone for the machine they prefer or giving their honest opinion is bewildering to me. Everyone has their own opinion. Lets be honest with ourselves. There is SO many different variables when it comes to metal detection. The type of ground, soil conditions, weather, machine, settings etc. Lets just say that two identical detectors will produce different results depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure using a detector in Texas compared to New York will provide different results. I mean that's just my opinion. Also the person using said machine will have different results as well. I'm no professional but if you give me a Deus 2 with all them various settings Id be winging it the whole time compared to someone who has been detecting and testing machines for years. I'm not tech savvy or have the best memory so a more simple machine suits my needs. Does that give someone the right to bash me because I don't have the best of the best? I would hope not. As far as head to head comparisons I enjoy seeing comparison videos. I think they provide excellent information for someone looking to purchase one or upgrade. That's all they are is videos of someone comparing and giving their honest opinion about them. They are not trying to mislead you or swindle you into purchasing this detector over another. Every detector has their pros and cons. It's what you decide to choose based on what you want out of a detector. You're opinion might be different and that's okay. Move on. Plain and simple. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. We all know everyone wants the most bang for their buck, but some machines will perform better than others. It will always be that way. If you only have an X amount of dollars and want to get the most out of it you might choose a Legend or Garett for example. If you can afford a more expensive detector that performs a little better you might choose an Equinox or a Deus 2. If you're on a budget and can't afford much you might choose a Simplex. In the end its about how much you can afford and what suits your needs. Every detector is going to find something. I just hope one day we can get back to our roots of enjoying this wonderful hobby and finding treasure. Where everyone can come together to share stories, finds, their experience, tips, and tricks without being butt hurt because someones opinions or preference is different than someone else's. At the end of the day we all call ourselves metal detectorists and treasure seekers regardless of opinions and equipment.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
I just ignore negative comments these days. Most negative comments are simply not construction. It is so easy to "crap on someone" behind a "screen name." I would be the farm if you had to actually use your real name (or real e-mail) - 95% of the negative comments would not be made. But heck, what do I know!

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do your thing and ignore the negativity. It’s everywhere nowadays. I’d explain it to you but then I’d be called a conspiracy theorist or some such crap. Pick out any good advice you can, learn your machine the best you can whatever it may be and enjoy the hunt.

1Matrix1

May 22, 2022
I wanted to give my opinion on what I am seeing in the metal detecting world today. Let me start by saying I always had a passion for finding treasure. The thrill of the hunt, and the feeling you get when finding something. I figured I would get into metal detecting. As someone who didn't have a clue where to begin I relied on YouTube for help and guidance. That was a year ago, and I've learned a lot within my year of enjoying this hobby. Even after a year I am by no means a professional. Just your average Joe going out on weekends or free time to detect. One of the things I've noticed as a result of relying on YouTube is all the negativity and bashing going on. You almost cant get on YouTube without coming across a video of someone bashing someone else. To be honest it's kind of a bummer. I think most of you all have a good idea of the most recent one going on. There are also other videos out of other people being bashed or calling people out. What is the point of doing so? Yes I like watching videos of people testing machines and giving their opinion, but to bash someone for the machine they prefer or giving their honest opinion is bewildering to me. Everyone has their own opinion. Lets be honest with ourselves. There is SO many different variables when it comes to metal detection. The type of ground, soil conditions, weather, machine, settings etc. Lets just say that two identical detectors will produce different results depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure using a detector in Texas compared to New York will provide different results. I mean that's just my opinion. Also the person using said machine will have different results as well. I'm no professional but if you give me a Deus 2 with all them various settings Id be winging it the whole time compared to someone who has been detecting and testing machines for years. I'm not tech savvy or have the best memory so a more simple machine suits my needs. Does that give someone the right to bash me because I don't have the best of the best? I would hope not. As far as head to head comparisons I enjoy seeing comparison videos. I think they provide excellent information for someone looking to purchase one or upgrade. That's all they are is videos of someone comparing and giving their honest opinion about them. They are not trying to mislead you or swindle you into purchasing this detector over another. Every detector has their pros and cons. It's what you decide to choose based on what you want out of a detector. You're opinion might be different and that's okay. Move on. Plain and simple. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. We all know everyone wants the most bang for their buck, but some machines will perform better than others. It will always be that way. If you only have an X amount of dollars and want to get the most out of it you might choose a Legend or Garett for example. If you can afford a more expensive detector that performs a little better you might choose an Equinox or a Deus 2. If you're on a budget and can't afford much you might choose a Simplex. In the end its about how much you can afford and what suits your needs. Every detector is going to find something. I just hope one day we can get back to our roots of enjoying this wonderful hobby and finding treasure. Where everyone can come together to share stories, finds, their experience, tips, and tricks without being butt hurt because someones opinions or preference is different than someone else's. At the end of the day we all call ourselves metal detectorists and treasure seekers regardless of opinions and equipment.
I'm new to the Forum and I try to keep things short. But I ran into some awful negativity the other day I saw a married couple I suppose in their thirties I think and tried talking to them they had some nice equipment. The wife was friendly but the grumpy looking guy didn't say a word. Which after telling him that I do metal detecting I would I figure maybe some comradery but no. It didn't surprise me but it was disappointing. I use an entry level detector from mine lab.. I like the technology of their Electronics. Vanquish 340. Heading down along the Shiawassee River today wish me luck!

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the Forum and I try to keep things short. But I ran into some awful negativity the other day I saw a married couple I suppose in their thirties I think and tried talking to them they had some nice equipment. The wife was friendly but the grumpy looking guy didn't say a word. Which after telling him that I do metal detecting I would I figure maybe some comradery but no. It didn't surprise me but it was disappointing. I use an entry level detector from mine lab.. I like the technology of their Electronics. Vanquish 340. Heading down along the Shiawassee River today wish me luck!
Nice choice in a detector. I’m a fan of Minelab and from what I seen the Vanquish series performs really well. Good luck on your hunt! If you find anything be sure to let us know. I’d love to see your finds.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been said,ignore the crap and glean all the knowledge you can from the positive. You like the machine you have? Then that,s the one for you brother.Everything else is just noise. Ignore it and go find stuff with the machine you like.Good luck to you,may your detecting days be long and filled with finds! Want to watch some positive videos? Check out Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin. Good ones.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been said,ignore the crap and glean all the knowledge you can from the positive. You like the machine you have? Then that,s the one for you brother.Everything else is just noise. Ignore it and go find stuff with the machine you like.Good luck to you,may your detecting days be long and filled with finds! Want to watch some positive videos? Check out Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin. Good ones.
Thank you. I havent heard of him yet. I’ll definitely go check him out and subscribe. Good luck to you as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like meditation, some people don't like to be disturbed when they are detecting.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
It's the ability of people to be anonymous on the internet and their inner A-hole tendencies come out because they're hiding behind a screen. It causes them to behave in ways that would have got their teeth knocked out in the old days. The internet has changed the world in many ways. Some good and some not so good. Just my opinion.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well on YouTube there's always jerks it's really nothing new. I just ignore them. Can't stop jerk people from existing or overly tribal ones that always have to have their mind set so much so that they feel the need to attack anything that isn't agreeable with what they think. I enjoy the hobby and do my own thing and care not what people think the point of this hobby for me is it helps me deal with my anxiety disorder and I just find it very enjoyable so if I'm enjoying it and it's helping me that's all that matters for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread