Why all the negativity?

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Nokta Makro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to give my opinion on what I am seeing in the metal detecting world today. Let me start by saying I always had a passion for finding treasure. The thrill of the hunt, and the feeling you get when finding something. I figured I would get into metal detecting. As someone who didn't have a clue where to begin I relied on YouTube for help and guidance. That was a year ago, and I've learned a lot within my year of enjoying this hobby. Even after a year I am by no means a professional. Just your average Joe going out on weekends or free time to detect. One of the things I've noticed as a result of relying on YouTube is all the negativity and bashing going on. You almost cant get on YouTube without coming across a video of someone bashing someone else. To be honest it's kind of a bummer. I think most of you all have a good idea of the most recent one going on. There are also other videos out of other people being bashed or calling people out. What is the point of doing so? Yes I like watching videos of people testing machines and giving their opinion, but to bash someone for the machine they prefer or giving their honest opinion is bewildering to me. Everyone has their own opinion. Lets be honest with ourselves. There are SO many different variables when it comes to metal detection. The type of ground, soil conditions, weather, machine, settings etc. Lets just say that two identical detectors will produce different results depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure using a detector in Texas compared to New York will provide different results. I mean that's just my opinion. Also the person using said machine will have different results as well. I'm no professional but if you give me a Deus 2 with all them various settings Id be winging it the whole time compared to someone who has been detecting and testing machines for years. I'm not tech savvy or have the best memory so a more simple machine suits my needs. Does that give someone the right to bash me because I don't have the best of the best? I would hope not. As far as head to head comparisons I enjoy seeing comparison videos. I think they provide excellent information for someone looking to purchase one or upgrade. That's all they are is videos of someone comparing and giving their honest opinion about them. They are not trying to mislead you or swindle you into purchasing this detector over another. Every detector has their pros and cons. It's what you decide to choose based on what you want out of a detector. You're opinion might be different and that's okay. Move on. Plain and simple. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. We all know everyone wants the most bang for their buck, but some machines will perform better than others. It will always be that way. If you only have an X amount of dollars and want to get the most out of it you might choose a Legend or Garett for example. If you can afford a more expensive detector that performs a little better you might choose an Equinox or a Deus 2. If you're on a budget and can't afford much you might choose a Simplex. In the end its about how much you can afford and what suits your needs. Every detector is going to find something. I just hope one day we can get back to our roots of enjoying this wonderful hobby and finding treasure. Where everyone can come together to share stories, finds, their experience, tips, and tricks without being butt hurt because someones opinions or preference is different than someone else's. At the end of the day we all call ourselves metal detectorists and treasure seekers regardless of opinions and equipment.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to give my opinion on what I am seeing in the metal detecting world today. Let me start by saying I always had a passion for finding treasure. The thrill of the hunt, and the feeling you get when finding something. I figured I would get into metal detecting. As someone who didn't have a clue where to begin I relied on YouTube for help and guidance. That was a year ago, and I've learned a lot within my year of enjoying this hobby. Even after a year I am by no means a professional. Just your average Joe going out on weekends or free time to detect. One of the things I've noticed as a result of relying on YouTube is all the negativity and bashing going on. You almost cant get on YouTube without coming across a video of someone bashing someone else. To be honest it's kind of a bummer. I think most of you all have a good idea of the most recent one going on. There are also other videos out of other people being bashed or calling people out. What is the point of doing so? Yes I like watching videos of people testing machines and giving their opinion, but to bash someone for the machine they prefer or giving their honest opinion is bewildering to me. Everyone has their own opinion. Lets be honest with ourselves. There are SO many different variables when it comes to metal detection. The type of ground, soil conditions, weather, machine, settings etc. Lets just say that two identical detectors will produce different results depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure using a detector in Texas compared to New York will provide different results. I mean that's just my opinion. Also the person using said machine will have different results as well. I'm no professional but if you give me a Deus 2 with all them various settings Id be winging it the whole time compared to someone who has been detecting and testing machines for years. I'm not tech savvy or have the best memory so a more simple machine suits my needs. Does that give someone the right to bash me because I don't have the best of the best? I would hope not. As far as head to head comparisons I enjoy seeing comparison videos. I think they provide excellent information for someone looking to purchase one or upgrade. That's all they are is videos of someone comparing and giving their honest opinion about them. They are not trying to mislead you or swindle you into purchasing this detector over another. Every detector has their pros and cons. It's what you decide to choose based on what you want out of a detector. You're opinion might be different and that's okay. Move on. Plain and simple. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. We all know everyone wants the most bang for their buck, but some machines will perform better than others. It will always be that way. If you only have an X amount of dollars and want to get the most out of it you might choose a Legend or Garett for example. If you can afford a more expensive detector that performs a little better you might choose an Equinox or a Deus 2. If you're on a budget and can't afford much you might choose a Simplex. In the end its about how much you can afford and what suits your needs. Every detector is going to find something. I just hope one day we can get back to our roots of enjoying this wonderful hobby and finding treasure. Where everyone can come together to share stories, finds, their experience, tips, and tricks without being butt hurt because someones opinions or preference is different than someone else's. At the end of the day we all call ourselves metal detectorists and treasure seekers regardless of opinions and equipment.
Attitude means a lot to me too, lets just go outside and have some fun (the finds are just the icing on the cake imho). I post a lot of daily finds stuff and I often feel inferior to people that hunt colonial permissions every week with 2000 dollar machines and get piles of colonial coins and gold jewelry but I don't envy them, it just makes me want to find more cool stuff out here with what I got!
Wish more people had your attitude, you don't have to find it all or swing the most expensive machine to have fun digging just go for it where you have permission and as long as your body can handle it. These youtubers that have four people walking ten miles on a farm every week to get 30 minutes of video doesn't seem fun to me, more like a job. Anyway that's my two cents, god bless good digs!

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attitude means a lot to me too, lets just go outside and have some fun (the finds are just the icing on the cake imho). I post a lot of daily finds stuff and I often feel inferior to people that hunt colonial permissions every week with 2000 dollar machines and get piles of colonial coins and gold jewelry but I don't envy them, it just makes me want to find more cool stuff out here with what I got!
Wish more people had your attitude, you don't have to find it all or swing the most expensive machine to have fun digging just go for it where you have permission and as long as your body can handle it. These youtubers that have four people walking ten miles on a farm every week to get 30 minutes of video doesn't seem fun to me, more like a job. Anyway that's my two cents, god bless good digs!
Thank you. I do enjoy watching people hunt multiple permissions hours on end though. Yes it seems more like a job, but it gives me hope because if the stuff they’re finding in the ground might be in the ground on my next permission! Lol one can only hope but it’s nice to dream big.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has become about people instead of the equipment..Character assassination has become the normal means of discussion.
I have been comparing detectors for five years and have had heated discussions in those years over detector performances.
Now since December when I started testing the Deus II and reporting on it .....A WHOLE new level of character assassination has started....Bring in the Legend and it goes to another level....
I understand the affordability issue of buying a 1600 dollar detector for some ....Nor do all need the best performing detector.
I am VERY serious about treasure hunting and have put tons of time and money to do so. I want the best detector that gives me the best odds for the type of hunting I do...
My hobby is both fun and very serious to me...I understand its less serious to others as we are all different.
My Youtube channel is for those who want to know the best performing detectors on the market today...Just so happens it cost 1600 bucks..
I have shown the Legend which is a GREAT detector for 600 bucks...
I took a lot of heat from other YouTubers because I showed its not a giant leap above the Equinox in performance.....The Deus II blows bot of them away as it should because it cost 1600 smackers...
I have no skin in the metal detector sales world dont make a dime off of any of them...Get a few bucks a month off Youtube for commercials...
I try to show gear and keep it in perspective....
I have watched people on Youtube just tell bold face lies about certain detectors over the past months and I just shake my head.....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't matter what subject it's all the same.
Cars, fishing, detecting etc......
Youtube = clicks = $$$.
It's a generator of an income even if it's small.
Some hit on the larger pay scale, but most are bottom feeders.
Then we have a group that just post up to share.
Nothing else, no big editing, music, crazy yelling, just a video of digging.
Then there are the ones that explain the detectors in a layman's version of understanding the options of what that detector can do.
I sometimes watch a video of detecting. 90% of the time I slide along the time line stop at what they dug, and go to the next one. 20 minutes edited to 4 minutes.
Coming into a hobby as this today is different than when I was introduced to the marvels of discovering what a detector could do.
Today it's different as social media drives the narrative.
Back in the day it was printed media.
Once a month running down to the local store to get a copy of a treasure magazine.
The head to head comparison videos are showing what one machine can do over another, if anything.
I take test garden comparison with a grain of salt.
It's just not the same, as an item that has been buried is going to produce different results again.
When a video is shown between 2 detectors each comparing the same undue target, then that is what counts in my old book.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has become about people instead of the equipment..Character assassination has become the normal means of discussion.
I have been comparing detectors for five years and have had heated discussions in those years over detector performances.
Now since December when I started testing the Deus II and reporting on it .....A WHOLE new level of character assassination has started....Bring in the Legend and it goes to another level....
I understand the affordability issue of buying a 1600 dollar detector for some ....Nor do all need the best performing detector.
I am VERY serious about treasure hunting and have put tons of time and money to do so. I want the best detector that gives me the best odds for the type of hunting I do...
My hobby is both fun and very serious to me...I understand its less serious to others as we are all different.
My Youtube channel is for those who want to know the best performing detectors on the market today...Just so happens it cost 1600 bucks..
I took a lot of heat from other YouTubers because I showed its not a giant leap above the Equinox in performance.....The Deus II blows bot of them away as it should because it cost 1600 smackers...
I have no skin in the metal detector sales world dont make a dime off of any of them...Get a few bucks a month off Youtube for commercials...
I have watched people on Youtube just tell bold face lies about certain detectors over the past months and I just shake my head.....
I believe in some aspects it has reached a new level. I’ve noticed people verbally attacking other people over tests, machine choice, etc. I Shake my head as well. I’m not sure when things derailed. I use to like to share my finds and experience, but when the negativity triumphs over the positive it’s time for me to hang my hat up. I still metal detect but I keep my stories and finds in a smaller friend circle. I try to support others in their choices and opinions. Sometimes you have to take it with a grain a salt about what they say, but no reason to make a fuss about it in my opinion. As far as your YouTube channel I enjoy watching your videos. I’ve learned a lot and have made purchases based on your opinion and opinion of others. I currently own a simplex and a legend. I believe for the price range it’s a great detector. Does it have its pros. Yes. Does it have its cons. Yes. Every detector does. It’s just what I find that suits my needs. I’m impressed with what I’ve seen with the Deus 2. Will I ever own one? Probably not due to price. So it all boils down to affordability, performance, and ease of use. Hence why I own a legend which in my opinion is a great detector and look forward to future upgrades. I hope things get better for you in the future, and others who have dealt with character assassination as you put it. Maybe we can all get back to simpler times.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are living in agitated times. Tons of unhappy people who are quick to be crappy to someone in an effort to fill a void in themselves.

Enjoy your life to the fullest and if you can have some sympathy for the lost souls who don’t even realize they are living a life of sour grapes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea is to have fun and get some exercise. Fun...we will never really make any money off of it because of the cost of getting to our sites in the first place. I do not youtube. Took much garbage on it. I liked (sort of) the one video where the guy pulls out a bright shiny Buffalo nickel out of the ground. Not. And other made up ones as well. I just avoided their channels. And one a long time ago with like all the 14k jewelry in the world in an hour or so. Hmmm. And no sense in naming names or any of that. Let them do what they want to.

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea is to have fun and get some exercise. Fun...we will never really make any money off of it because of the cost of getting to our sites in the first place. I do not youtube. Took much garbage on it. I liked (sort of) the one video where the guy pulls out a bright shiny Buffalo nickel out of the ground. Not. And other made up ones as well. I just avoided their channels. And one a long time ago with like all the 14k jewelry in the world in an hour or so. Hmmm. And no sense in naming names or any of that. Let them do what they want to.
There are some questionable videos for sure. Is it real? I have no idea. Nor do I care. Like you said let them do what they want to do. Will I watch it? Yes, but that’s just me. I care more about the history behind an object or historical site than anything. Even if an object is planted the object is still old. They had to get it from somewhere. I enjoy hearing about the facts and historical significance of things. I’d rather be out in the fields finding treasure and uncovering history, but I like hearing about it too lol

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. I do enjoy watching people hunt multiple permissions hours on end though. Yes it seems more like a job, but it gives me hope because if the stuff they’re finding in the ground might be in the ground on my next permission! Lol one can only hope but it’s nice to dream big.
Don't get me wrong love to watch other diggers got several subs on various channels just can't do what those guys/gals do, the value to me is inspiration and identification of my own finds. Dreaming big keeps one swinging for sure!
Nothing wrong with success calabash! I'll have to check out your channel just seems I have no time these days with work and various projects becoming a 'weekend warrior' when I used to go daily hunts n all, oh well age gets us all , lol. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the masses.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't matter what subject it's all the same.
Cars, fishing, detecting etc......
Youtube = clicks = $$$.
It's a generator of an income even if it's small.
Some hit on the larger pay scale, but most are bottom feeders.
Then we have a group that just post up to share.
Nothing else, no big editing, music, crazy yelling, just a video of digging.
Then there are the ones that explain the detectors in a layman's version of understanding the options of what that detector can do.
I sometimes watch a video of detecting. 90% of the time I slide along the time line stop at what they dug, and go to the next one. 20 minutes edited to 4 minutes.
Coming into a hobby as this today is different than when I was introduced to the marvels of discovering what a detector could do.
Today it's different as social media drives the narrative.
Back in the day it was printed media.
Once a month running down to the local store to get a copy of a treasure magazine.
The head to head comparison videos are showing what one machine can do over another, if anything.
I take test garden comparison with a grain of salt.
It's just not the same, as an item that has been buried is going to produce different results again.
When a video is shown between 2 detectors each comparing the same undue target, then that is what counts in my old book.
Miss the days of eagerly awaiting my copy of 'Eastern and Western treasures' to get my monthly fix and stimulation to hunt . I know the reason I joined this community is to just share what I dig with others because nobody in my family or close circle of friends wants to get any more texts of my 'treasure' pics. I'm addicted to digging plain and simple and want a receptive audience..lol

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get out a calculator and multiply your subscribers by $635 or even $750, and you’ll understand why things have heated up to the extent they have. One persons opinion can be worth millions of dollars.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The constant bashing of other detectors is what causes much of the problem. "Best" is a personal opinion.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to me the word bashing is used way too much...Comparing A detector and B detector to each other and then saying A or B is superior to other one is not bashing...I see you use all Minelabs mostly if I tell you the XP Deus II has 2 to 4 inch depth advantage over your NOX and a 4 to 6 inch advantage over your EXcall in wet salt sand on gold rings....which is a true statement here on my BEACH...Is that bashing your detector?
There is a such thing as the best......IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to me the word bashing is used way too much...Comparing A detector and B detector to each other and then saying A or B is superior to other one is not bashing...I see you use all Minelabs if I tell you the XP Deus II has 2 to 4 inch depth advantage over your NOX and a 4 to 6 inch advantage over your EXcall in wet salt sand on gold rings....which is a true statement here on my BEACH...Is that bashing your detector?
There is a such thing as the best......IMO
I can see where you’re coming from. If Detector A out performs Detector B that’s just facts. What I was referring to is people bad mouthing people for their equipment. Making people feel bad just because they own a particular detector. He or she says “you aren’t going to find anything with that piece of garbage” or “why did you even choose such a crappy detector” is the comments and the negativity I was trying to refer to. I believe in what I call constructive criticism. For example..if I’m using a detector and someone notices I’m doing something wrong I’d welcome someone letting me know so and possibly help me correct what I’m doing. Instead most people stand on the side lines and say “look at that idiot” but won’t offer to help someone. I mean that might be all someone can afford is a certain detector. They might be new to the hobby and learning. I believe we need to come together as a community of hobbyist and help each other out. Not throw rude comments around to people and not do anything constructive.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are saying....THATS WRONG....
As you know all detectors can find stuff and have a fun time doing it..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats wrong that people do that to other people..sorry should have explained

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread