Why all the negativity?

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were there in 71 then it was about the same as when I was there and you are right, it was WILD!
My father spent 20 years in the army, I spent 3. I was in the Yokohama area from 1957 - 1961, remember it well, walking to school with my sister, ladies outside the base cracking ostlers to find pearls, found my first coin in a sandbox which I still have, My parents even brought back a souvenir ( my little brother)

OP
OP
Otis2010

Otis2010

Mar 4, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Nokta Makro, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father spent 20 years in the army, I spent 3. I was in the Yokohama area from 1957 - 1961, remember it well, walking to school with my sister, ladies outside the base cracking ostlers to find pearls, found my first coin in a sandbox which I still have, My parents even brought back a souvenir ( my little brother)
That’s pretty cool. What kind of coin was it? Also, thank you for your service.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't wait to see the videos of the EXCALL whipping the socks off the DEUS II on the gold in the salt water...I am gonna set a reminder to keep a eye off for your videos..
I really don't expect to whip the sox's off the D2 but I do expect I will out hunt them, just like I did the local Nox hunters last year. I only got in about 6 months last year and scored 45 gold, compared to the two best who had 12 and 15. So it is all Fun, I enjoy seeing what they find as much as my own. Remember, It's a hobby which is great for the body, mind and memories... Best to keep all simple and enjoy..
2021 gold (2).jpg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to give my opinion on what I am seeing in the metal detecting world today. Let me start by saying I always had a passion for finding treasure. The thrill of the hunt, and the feeling you get when finding something. I figured I would get into metal detecting. As someone who didn't have a clue where to begin I relied on YouTube for help and guidance. That was a year ago, and I've learned a lot within my year of enjoying this hobby. Even after a year I am by no means a professional. Just your average Joe going out on weekends or free time to detect. One of the things I've noticed as a result of relying on YouTube is all the negativity and bashing going on. You almost cant get on YouTube without coming across a video of someone bashing someone else. To be honest it's kind of a bummer. I think most of you all have a good idea of the most recent one going on. There are also other videos out of other people being bashed or calling people out. What is the point of doing so? Yes I like watching videos of people testing machines and giving their opinion, but to bash someone for the machine they prefer or giving their honest opinion is bewildering to me. Everyone has their own opinion. Lets be honest with ourselves. There are SO many different variables when it comes to metal detection. The type of ground, soil conditions, weather, machine, settings etc. Lets just say that two identical detectors will produce different results depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure using a detector in Texas compared to New York will provide different results. I mean that's just my opinion. Also the person using said machine will have different results as well. I'm no professional but if you give me a Deus 2 with all them various settings Id be winging it the whole time compared to someone who has been detecting and testing machines for years. I'm not tech savvy or have the best memory so a more simple machine suits my needs. Does that give someone the right to bash me because I don't have the best of the best? I would hope not. As far as head to head comparisons I enjoy seeing comparison videos. I think they provide excellent information for someone looking to purchase one or upgrade. That's all they are is videos of someone comparing and giving their honest opinion about them. They are not trying to mislead you or swindle you into purchasing this detector over another. Every detector has their pros and cons. It's what you decide to choose based on what you want out of a detector. You're opinion might be different and that's okay. Move on. Plain and simple. Keep in mind though you get what you pay for. We all know everyone wants the most bang for their buck, but some machines will perform better than others. It will always be that way. If you only have an X amount of dollars and want to get the most out of it you might choose a Legend or Garett for example. If you can afford a more expensive detector that performs a little better you might choose an Equinox or a Deus 2. If you're on a budget and can't afford much you might choose a Simplex. In the end its about how much you can afford and what suits your needs. Every detector is going to find something. I just hope one day we can get back to our roots of enjoying this wonderful hobby and finding treasure. Where everyone can come together to share stories, finds, their experience, tips, and tricks without being butt hurt because someones opinions or preference is different than someone else's. At the end of the day we all call ourselves metal detectorists and treasure seekers regardless of opinions and equipment.
Very Well explained😁

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has become about people instead of the equipment..Character assassination has become the normal means of discussion.
I have been comparing detectors for five years and have had heated discussions in those years over detector performances.
Now since December when I started testing the Deus II and reporting on it .....A WHOLE new level of character assassination has started....Bring in the Legend and it goes to another level....
I understand the affordability issue of buying a 1600 dollar detector for some ....Nor do all need the best performing detector.
I am VERY serious about treasure hunting and have put tons of time and money to do so. I want the best detector that gives me the best odds for the type of hunting I do...
My hobby is both fun and very serious to me...I understand its less serious to others as we are all different.
My Youtube channel is for those who want to know the best performing detectors on the market today...Just so happens it cost 1600 bucks..
I have shown the Legend which is a GREAT detector for 600 bucks...
I took a lot of heat from other YouTubers because I showed its not a giant leap above the Equinox in performance.....The Deus II blows bot of them away as it should because it cost 1600 smackers...
I have no skin in the metal detector sales world dont make a dime off of any of them...Get a few bucks a month off Youtube for commercials...
I try to show gear and keep it in perspective....
I have watched people on Youtube just tell bold face lies about certain detectors over the past months and I just shake my head.....
All about Fun and information!!! The Drama and politics need to stay out of it!!
Thank You, for All who share Just the testing and Goodies found!!!

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good topic. In my opinion technology has made everything easier but also created conflict. Sometimes people say things behind a screen that would not be said in person. I miss slower times. For some reason politics has divided everyone and it shouldn’t be like that. After all, people are more similar than different. I just like to metal detect. Happy hunting mates!

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get out a calculator and multiply your subscribers by $635 or even $750, and you’ll understand why things have heated up to the extent they have. One persons opinion can be worth millions of dollars.
HOW DOES THAT WORK? 635 ? I get revenue off of views...Which averages around 100 bucks a month..
You misunderstood me. I was saying multiply the number of your subscribers by $635 and you’ll understand why…because you could potentially talk that many people out of spending that amount. It all adds up to a lot of money. I know you don’t make much from what you do.

Another reason things heated up the way they did too is NM is hungry, very hungry to get to the top. They didn’t see the Deus 2 coming and it came out guns a blazing. When the Legend was released it wasn’t up to par with Deus 2, and they were touchy about criticizm, even prematurely trying to jump the kings. Yet apparently they must’ve known what they had would get much better over time. Since then I’d argue XP has fixed the Deus 2 till it’s broke, while Nokta Makro has begun to eclipse it with the Legend. The tests are beginning to go the other way. Many of us are now growing impatient with XP and frustrated waiting for updates that will move the platform forward in the ways Nokta Makro has for its Legend.

Like you calabash, I think tests matter, and right now I’m seeing the Legend do some things my Deus 2 cannot. My own testing with my Nox is showing it can also do some things around iron unmasking I can’t get the Deus 2 in it’s current form to replicate. In any event, I think with the way things are going right now Nokta Makro will probably be less sensitive now that the platform is reaching maturity and their claims are appearing more realistically supported.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the nox for 3 years or so, still have my D1, and am now enjoying the Legend. At my age I get confused switching back and fort between detectors, so when I use the deus I just use a coin program I have, the legend is also to set and go, just change sensitive now and then. I really get confused when I prospect and now use my gpx 4500, but I keep a cheat sheet handy.

so for everyone who has to have the latest and greatest, I wish you all the best, may you be able to pay for your machines with your finds. as a tradesman for my entire life and investor (rather day trader) I can only think of ROI on any purchase..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You misunderstood me. I was saying multiply the number of your subscribers by $635 and you’ll understand why…because you could potentially talk that many people out of spending that amount. It all adds up to a lot of money. I know you don’t make much from what you do.

Another reason things heated up the way they did too is NM is hungry, very hungry to get to the top. They didn’t see the Deus 2 coming and it came out guns a blazing. When the Legend was released it wasn’t up to par with Deus 2, and they were touchy about criticizm, even prematurely trying to jump the kings. Yet apparently they must’ve known what they had would get much better over time. Since then I’d argue XP has fixed the Deus 2 till it’s broke, while Nokta Makro has begun to eclipse it with the Legend. The tests are beginning to go the other way. Many of us are now growing impatient with XP and frustrated waiting for updates that will move the platform forward in the ways Nokta Makro has for its Legend.

Like you calabash, I think tests matter, and right now I’m seeing the Legend do some things my Deus 2 cannot. My own testing with my Nox is showing it can also do some things around iron unmasking I can’t get the Deus 2 in it’s current form to replicate. In any event, I think with the way things are going right now Nokta Makro will probably be less sensitive now that the platform is reaching maturity and their claims are appearing more realistically supported.
Well I dont know how your testing it ...You must have a faulty unit...Need to send it back cause that aint the case here

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another reason things heated up the way they did too is NM is hungry, very hungry to get to the top. They didn’t see the Deus 2 coming and it came out guns a blazing. When the Legend was released it wasn’t up to par with Deus 2,
Lol, the deus 2 wasn't upto par when it was prematurely released either ...

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I dont know how your testing it ...You must have a faulty unit...Need to send it back cause that aint the case here
Can you get the Deus 2 to replicate what the Legend did here? I can’t.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the better video IMO to disprove that mess...I have a few videos up explaining this trick. Here is the Deus II doing the same thing..I show the trick in the videos below.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is good too...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you have any more questions? This right here is probably the best one to show its false...

Last edited:

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's become the norm on the internet that when you have a weak position in an argument to resort to character assassination and personal attacks. When it comes to metal detectors people want to have the superior detector and will overlook information contrary to their position and resort to attacks to maintain their beliefs.

In the end it doesn't matter because there will be newer, better detectors on the market sooner or later and the whole argument cycle will begin again.

If you have a machine you like, go swing it and stop wasting time off your life arguing about it.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's become the norm on the internet that when you have a weak position in an argument to resort to character assassination and personal attacks. When it comes to metal detectors people want to have the superior detector and will overlook information contrary to their position and resort to attacks to maintain their beliefs.

In the end it doesn't matter because there will be newer, better detectors on the market sooner or later and the whole argument cycle will begin again.

If you have a machine you like, go swing it and stop wasting time off your life arguing about it.
Detectors are overrated anyway, I was always a fan of the Indiana Jones style of treasure hunting. Will publish a book about it one day. Essentially metal detecting is just one tiny niche within a vast plethora of treasure hunting techniques - yet for some reason 90%+ of treasure hunters all flooded this one niche and have ignored (or are unaware of) the others. Then they all wonder why they're fighting over whose detector is best instead of talking about who found the best treasure. Worse yet there are actually people who will unironically just buy treasure off ebay or some other place and then pretend they found it 🤣 while owning a multi-thosand dollar metal detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions