Why Are Air Tests Not Valid Measuring?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that air tests quickly get the thumbs down a lot. Why?
in the 16 years, I have been detecting I have yet to see a coin floating in the air. Air tests do not take into account the ground mineralization that affects depth, you might get 14 inches on an air test but only 6 inches when the target is in the ground because your detector isn't tuned correctly for the ground mineralization or doesn't handle hot soils..

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that air tests quickly get the thumbs down a lot. Why?
I seem to find more coins when i do that , three to five times on a hunt sometimes. Beach sand to topsoil from one to the other. Done it or not done it, more coins when I do . Takes only 10 - 15 seconds , I find coins right after I do it more than not. HAPPY HUNTING

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far off have been the ground inches compared to the air tests?
Too many variables, different grounds have different mineralization, and different detectors respond differently.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So, actual air is solid.
????

Your question regards air tests being shot down.

Signals from your detector passing through and returning through air compared to soil or water would need the same density and contents of the soil or water to be able to claim air tests reflect detector performance "in the field"...

Air tests getting shot down I'm not familier with. If comparing them to what the signals experience in other elements , well how would it not differ?
IF shot down by comparing a detectors performance to soil or ground to it's performance in the air ; in expectation of duplication in ground , I'd shoot the expectation down too.
Air tests have thier place. As do ground tests.

Not all phones receive the same signal strength in varied locales.
Some even within the same house or yard.
Have you ever read a walkie talkie specification of range defined as open line of site?
Vs dense a heavy woods , or tight inside a multiple buildings and other sources of interference? I've no idea about underground or under water.
But it's still about a radio signal, isn't it?

[e 1. Air test versus ground test. Junk metals, minerals, ionized particles all tend to scatter the radio signal, making depth measurement and target identification more difficult.]

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I do not disagree that the Rf features differs from air tests and ground, but the point is that folks want to instantly say air tests are not trusted just by the topic. I have 4 different pin pointers right next to me. It is easy to benchmark all pointers in air, against each other. People instantly want to go instantly negative when an air test is even mentioned. That was the whole point of my post.

Air tests just seem to get the stink eye instantly.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not disagree that the Rf features differs from air tests and ground, but the point is that folks want to instantly say air tests are not trusted just by the topic. I have 4 different pin pointers right next to me. It is easy to benchmark all pointers in air, against each other. People instantly want to go instantly negative when an air test is even mentioned. That was the whole point of my post.

Air tests just seem to get the stink eye instantly.
I guess if your bored , air testing is one way to play with a detector and guess how it will work elsewhere.

I want to know how a truck performs offroad I'm not going to take the salespersons description as to how it performs. How it performs in the lot as how it performs offroad. Or it's street performance as to how it performs offroad. We goin offroad! No , I don't mean maintained gravel roads.

Soccer mom hauling groceries going to tell me she knows how it performs offroad as she hauls groceries on asphalt?
Might not be the stink eye I give , but she needs a ride offroad too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread