graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Well after spraining my back a couple of days ago trying to dig in my yard with the hard soil and grass roots while using a regular shovel, I started shopping for a tool that would pentrate the hard NC soil more easily. I am shocked at the price of these things. I am interested in the "Root Slayer" line just based on it's appearance. Is that a good choice? Reccommendations welcome.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always just used a plain ol' sharpshooter shovel ever since I started back in the early 90's. But I do keep it real sharp with a file to get through roots. I hit ground last night though that was like hitting a brick, and may be the first time my old girl has ever been defeated, so it's kind of amazing that you post this now.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! The digging tools with the T handles will definitely help with the bending. There are a couple of sponsors here that sell detectors & accessories. I've had great help from Bart@BigBoysHobbies, so if you fire off a question to them they can give you some options. Just my experience, the others are probably fine as well.

Here is a link to their digging tools. I bought the Nokta Makro - Premium Shovel.

As to price, well the price of all tools has gone up, and these are tools.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are more expensive because they are specialty items. Check out Grave Digger Tools, if you want a shovel that will never break or bend. I use the "Tombstone" shovel. They also sell them at Kellyco.

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree with the above statements. its not really something people buy everyday. kind of a specialty item.

it would be very easy to make your own if you knew how to weld. or knew a welder. then you could use a grinder to make any edge you desire. same goes for sand scoops.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a fiskars shovel, under $30 lifetime warranty. I own an army entrenching tool that I’ve used for years in wooded sites.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, for me 99% of my hunting is done in sandy soil and I can get away with a cheapo Wal-Mart shovel. I do have a 36" T-handle Lesche with one side of the blade serrated for the rare occasion when I do encounter clay soil or hunt in the woods. It is probably 10 years old and has never failed. I did paint it day-glo orange so I could find it when I absentmindedly walked away from it in the woods!

lostcoast

Greenie
Nov 8, 2021
I recently came across a UK brand of shovels called Black Ada that are being stocked by Treasure Hunting Outfitters in the USA for about nearly half the price of US brands. Might be worth checking out. I have a Lesche Sampson in 31" and 18" and paid 50 odd a piece for them shipped.

1666048058.jpg

Last edited:

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Simplex found an old military shovel so I found a 36" wood handle [$8] and use it now-a-days. It's strong except I broke the handle twice, LOL so it's not as long as it was. I make a square plug with the shovel.

I like to find coins in gravel drive & parking areas. I kept my 2nd army entrenching shovel, like a hoe, and use it, the gravel is easy to use

Attachments

• Shovel.jpg
    Shovel.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I thank you all for the information and suggestions. Here in my neck of the woods in NC, we have a lot of clay in the soil that makes digging hard to do. My wife has offered to buy me a shovel for Christmas and the one I have picked is the "Root Slayer Nomad" for it's price and size. It seems to be a popular item. Will that one be a good choice?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good choice. Let us know what you think of it after trying it out. I would like to know what you think of the handle.

petejc

Jun 30, 2021
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Eqinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greywoulf,
Take my word for this...Predator Tools.....Get the Model 65 Ranger D...Yes its a little pricey but you will never need another one....It's a husband and wife team, and when he makes them he hardens the shovel blade...you will never bend or brake it and the blade is 13 inches long...I absolutely love mine. Oh, it's $99.95

OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a good choice. Let us know what you think of it after trying it out. I would like to know what you think of the handle.
Thank you for your opinion on this shovel. As for the handle, I think it looks a bit small but I saw a YT video where a guy replaces the original handle with a larger D style handle and that looks like a good idea to me.

OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Greywoulf,
Take my word for this...Predator Tools.....Get the Model 65 Ranger D...Yes its a little pricey but you will never need another one....It's a husband and wife team, and when he makes them he hardens the shovel blade...you will never bend or brake it and the blade is 13 inches long...I absolutely love mine. Oh, it's $99.95
Thanks for the suggestion. That is a very impressive looking tool for sure. I just don't think I can spend that much right now though.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They are more expensive because they are specialty items. Check out Grave Digger Tools, if you want a shovel that will never break or bend. I use the "Tombstone" shovel. They also sell them at Kellyco.
The Grave Digger tools are the best you can buy. I got my shovel from them when they first came out. There shovel will dig & cut through any thing roots, hard ground and you will never have to worry about breaking them. I just got there side kick digger this past year. It is 3 times better than my Lesche digger. It is better than any hand digger you can buy. AND they are made right here in Ohio good old USA tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
The Grave Digger tools are the best you can buy. I got my shovel from them when they first came out. There shovel will dig & cut through any thing roots, hard ground and you will never have to worry about breaking them. I just got there side kick digger this past year. It is 3 times better than my Lesche digger. It is better than any hand digger you can buy. AND they are made right here in Ohio good old USA tool.
Those are some impressive tools as well. Unfortunately still out of my price range. I have a friend that is a Master Blacksmith and I might see if he can make me one similar to the gravedigger.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some impressive tools as well. Unfortunately still out of my price range. I have a friend that is a Master Blacksmith and I might see if he can make me one similar to the gravedigger.
Yes but when i got my Grave Digger shovel about 2015 i think i only paid $55.00 for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions