larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
why are arrow heads called 'bird' points?
around the dakotas these arrow heads were used for buffalo, elk, deer, bear, etc.
i know that turkeys were also hunted as their bones were perfect for making beads and whistles
i have seen some buffalo skulls with arrow points stuck in them
anybody know why?
larson1951

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they just call the smaller ones that out of a common usage of the term. Point size has nothing to do with prey size.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Everyone I know has always called them Bird Points. I grew up calling them that too. I know they were not made just for birds but since that's what we always called them that's what sticks with them.
I am curious about the real tiny ones. I have some that look like they should have been hafted onto toothpicks.
I figure there are a lot of items that served different purposes from what we call them.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Here in PA and Ohio the small triangular points of the Fort Ancient and Monongahela culture were used for everything from birds to Elk and warfare. These were true arrow points, extremely sharp, the smaller point took less energy to penetrate into the vitals from the hardwood bows of that time. I think people mix up cultures and when finding both on a multi culture site think that the smaller points were used for smaller animals and the larger ones for big game, when in reality the larger ones were from atlatls which pre dated the bow.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
bird points

Here in PA and Ohio the small triangular points of the Fort Ancient and Monongahela culture were used for everything from birds to Elk and warfare. These were true arrow points, extremely sharp, the smaller point took less energy to penetrate into the vitals from the hardwood bows of that time. I think people mix up cultures and when finding both on a multi culture site think that the smaller points were used for smaller animals and the larger ones for big game, when in reality the larger ones were from atlatls which pre dated the bow.

In Massachusetts the small ones are called this, according to a gratuitous assumption of Gramps. The real treasure was the hen turkey on my lawn Saturday, before I went looking, the Ocean tends to wear them down unless quartz. I have one I am sure is Clovis. I am sure the makers did practice just as we do today. I hope you see an albino bison.:4leafclover::4leafclover:

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that earlier treasure hunters assumed that because they were so small they weren't capable of taking large game. Allot of arrows were made of just fire hardened points that would resemble the end of a pencil. Because of natural decay these are never found. They are capable of killing any animal but because of the size of the hole there was hardly any blood and arrowheads caused more severe tissue damage and made it easier to trail a wounded animal.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likewise agree.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think some of the tiny "bird" points down here in southern Arkansas and places were used as darts in blowguns...d2

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the info
i did not know about any blowguns however
larson1951

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had wondered about the blowgun dart deal. I know the Cherokees used blowguns, but have pretty much come to the conclusion points weren't hafted onto the darts. Some tribes would find the 'bird points' in historic times and believe they belonged to a race of extinct little people.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Some tribes would find the 'bird points' in historic times and believe they belonged to a race of extinct little people.

thats exactly where i thought bird points were from . :icon_scratch: lol

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
i have seen some buffalo skulls with arrow points stuck in them
anybody know why?
larson1951

2 all "buffalo" patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles on a sesame bun ??

rdavidson

Greenie
Jun 20, 2011
Middle Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Around my neck of the woods (middle Georgia) any point 1/2 inch in length or smaller a bird point. I have some that are 1/4 inch long. A bird point was used for birds or small a mammal such as rabbit or squirrel. My uncle found a field once where all he found was small bird points. He found 20 or more perfect points with the notchs for hafting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some tribes would find the 'bird points' in historic times and believe they belonged to a race of extinct little people.
:laughing7:That's freakin hilarious.:notworthy:
The truth of the matter is, a bird point is called a bird point because once upon a time before we knew any better, the belief was that something so small must have been used to hunt birds. The truth is that they were common points of the day and that they were as deadly to men as they were to birds as many an Englishman would discover.

Here is an interesting post about tiny african bird points that were used in warfare and the skeletons that prove it. Interesting read- Bird Points from Africa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread