Why did I give up...

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love hobbies... Who doesn't? Ive been through nitro and electric R/C cars, model building, reef aquariums (which I now work in that field for a living) and metal detecting. Back in March of last year I bought my first MD; a fisher F2. I read reviews for days trying to pick the "cheapest" best MD... I was so excited the day it arrived! For the next few months I was out every day I could! I found tons of clad, a few wheaties, a silver earring and a 10k gold ring whith what I assume is a .25 karat diamond (never had it appraised and I still have it). But then by June for some reason I wasn't interested, no clue why... To be honest I felt odd, a bit embarassed being out in a park just doin my thing, I felt people woul give me BS for digging, even though I dug perfect plugs. So long story short I sold my F2 on Craigslist for about half of what I paid for it. Now today... Why did I ever quit? I want to buy another metal detector but it can't be at any worse of a time as I am about to move out and get an apartment with my GF and money is very tight. I'm dying to give it another go I feel as I went to gung-ho too fast and it burnt me out, probably because I was hungry for my next ring... I'm very regretful now :/

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man...Thats happened to me for a few months last year...if my GF didnt spen dos much on it, i would have probally moved on...But Now!..Im charged as ever to detect. One thign that helps me is to make goals for the year.

I used to Skateboard for over 20 years, and had sponsers etc...i just quit in 2008 and it was serioulsy the biggest regret I ever had..But Now i couldnt see myself being out there with 12-14 yr olds doing the same thing.

Long story short

Go get you another detector!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving in with someone is a new hobby you have to work at if you want it to last. You can not do anything/everything YOU want anymore. You have to do what she wants and think about her and how she will feel about something as much as you think or feel about it yourself. At the very least talk about this with her and see how she feels. It helps if you have lots in common but if not it can get nasty quick if you don't consider all the consequences . You will be sharing the bills, money is tight.. to quote Bill Joel

"They started to fight when the
Money got tight
And they just didn't count on
The tears."

Buying something that is not NEEDED when starting a home together is bad news for your ongoing happiness, trust me I have been married for 22 years. Needs come before wants.. making life a little less fun NOW but much better in the long run.

OP
OP
R

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan on getting another detector in the future when I can afford to. But I know or sure that right now it's not what I need. My GF and I have been living together at my parents house for a year and a half. I just hope that I still have the drive to go out MDing again in the future.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan on getting another detector in the future when I can afford to. But I know or sure that right now it's not what I need. My GF and I have been living together at my parents house for a year and a half. I just hope that I still have the drive to go out MDing again in the future.

You can always buy a good used detector......

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are passionate about this hobby, getting burned out would be impossible I'd think. Your spouse might get burned out with it, but you shouldn't if you really love it. Your finds are but a part of it. You have to love history, being outdoors and all of nature to do this. If you do it for monetary gain, chances are you're going to be sorely disappointed unless you call a couple hundred in clad while spending more in gas and equipment a successful business, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 8 diamond rings to date and wife gets first pick of every thing I find, she doesn't object to my going detecting at all..

OP
OP
R

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sort of unofficially on the hunt for a good used detector if one comes my way I may jump on it. My girl definitely loves rings, I constantly show her what people have found and her eyes glow lol

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a good used detector and a used diamond ring...Bury the ring in your back yard to see what a gold ring like that reads and sounds like on your detector. Then you dig it up and give it to your wife. Honey! Look what I dug up in the yard!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sort of unofficially on the hunt for a good used detector if one comes my way I may jump on it. My girl definitely loves rings, I constantly show her what people have found and her eyes glow lol

Thats what you gotta do!..Sell it to her..lol..My GF acutally is the one that buys all my detecting stuff, it makes for easy shopping on her end around christmas and my B-day

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife encourages it! She knows I'm not happy or getting any exercise if I don't go MDing!

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the Minelab CTX 3030 you won't give up, it cost to much.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I wasn't interested, no clue why... To be honest I felt odd, a bit embarassed being out in a park just doin my thing, I felt people woul give me BS for digging, even though I dug perfect plugs......

Yes, it's true, you have to have a thick-skin to do this. In turfed parks anyhow. Or another tactic, when it comes to turfed parks, is to simply go at the most off-times you can. Ie.: early am's, and be gone by 8am. Or after 6pm. Or...... quite frankly ..... it's even gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night. So peaceful, so serene, etc.. But you're right: That's not for everyone. If someone is very self-conscience (of other people's stares, or potential busy-bodies), then they need to choose other types hunting terrain. JMHO.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only natural to lose interest in any hobby, and then to get enthused about it again later.

Next time don't be so quick to sell when you hit a little lull. Good Luck.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about what other people are thinking and just do your thing. I do hope you get the finances to get into back into detecting again but I am sure you have your priorities. I look back at some to the " stuff " that a person buys every time they get into a new hobby and wonder what I was thinking and if I could only sell it for half of what I have into it but there it still sits. I am thinking that this detecting might be a hobby that will last a long time as the older I get there is not as much time for jumping into any new hobbies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's true, you have to have a thick-skin to do this. In turfed parks anyhow. Or another tactic, when it comes to turfed parks, is to simply go at the most off-times you can. Ie.: early am's, and be gone by 8am. Or after 6pm. Or...... quite frankly ..... it's even gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night. So peaceful, so serene, etc.. But you're right: That's not for everyone. If someone is very self-conscience (of other people's stares, or potential busy-bodies), then they need to choose other types hunting terrain. JMHO.

I don't even care what people say or think. I have over $8k in melt value last time I did the figures and that was when gold was $1000 an ounce and didn't include the rings the wife took.

I will laugh all the way to the bank...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i might go with another fisher F2 or maybe upgrade to the F4. Seeing if i can find one cheap!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Choose now a future month where you will purchase your next machine -- either 3 months from now or 6 months from now. Mark it on your calendar! That way you'll have the new (or good used) detector to look forward to while you and your girlfriend are getting settled in your new home. And you won't obsess about not detecting because you have a specific month when you'll get back to it. The couples adventure you're beginning now is the creation of a new home for both, which can be a wonderful experience despite tight budgets. Once you begin detecting again, monitor it so you don't fill up all your spare time detecting -- that way you won't feel burned out again and your girlfriend will be able to enjoy time with you when you aren't tired out. My husband feels metal detecting is absurd yet he is very supportive of my hobby, and that's because I don't usually let it consume me. When I did get carried away with too many nonstop detecting hours, my old knees finally rebelled, from which pain I'm now recovering. Best luck to you and enjoy it all! Andi

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i might go with another fisher F2 or maybe upgrade to the F4. Seeing if i can find one cheap!

Keep checking our classifieds, good used detectors show up in all price ranges.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread