ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy a cheap Microsoft laptop at a pawn store just for updates. Apple is less than 15% sales in USA. World wide Apple accounts for less than 10% of PC sales.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
You can buy a cheap Microsoft laptop at a pawn store just for updates. World wide Apple accounts for less than 10% of PC sales.
Nothing like messing with a used laptop!

So, this is XP's philosophy... since they are too cheap, or technically inept, we tell our customers to go out and buy another computer for updates! ( I know you don't work for XP. You obviously replied. I sent them an email, and never got a reply back)

You are possibly right.. Apple's account for less than 10% of PC sales.

But who are those 10%? These are not the low income people who buy cheap products, these are upper income people who are the ones more likely to be buying an $1800 Metal Detector. So, I would guesstimate thats 20-30 percent of the potential buyers for the Deus 2.

This is a big segment of customers that the intelligent people who are management at XP have chosen to ignore.

I just bought a Legend... Apple compatible.

Almost every $15-$30 electronic toy I buy on Amazon, works with Apple. But not my $1,800 Deus XP.

It paints a not so good picture of XP. If I would be a potential investor in that company, their decision alone would throw up a lot of red flags.

I want to see the company succeed, it's a nice product. But it makes me question whomever runs the company's decision making abilities.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing was said about updates for Minelab detectors.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Same thing was said about updates for Minelab detectors.
Maybe I need to contact some Asian companies and design one myself, they know how to make products at 1/2 the price, and better quality.

One day some Chinese or Taiwanese company will wake em up.

I've put a few North American companies out of business because they refused to serve their customers needs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
15-20 percent of desktop computers are apples. Many owners who are upper income. Why doesn't XP offer the ability to update the Deus 2 via an apple computer?

Does not sound like a very good decision by their company. They are excluding a big group of potential customers.

BTW I purchased a Dues 2.
Oh I hear you loud and clear with the update issues. I still have an old dell before I went iMac and there's a possibility of cleaning it up and using it for this single purpose.
I had a dealer in the city to do the updates, but they closed the hobby shop now. So the only option was to send it back for the latest update.
It seems that most tech companies have the window option Windows/Apple.
It doesn't seem all that difficult, but it probably cost a few bucks.

You made some very valid points about the % of upper income also buying a Deus product.
I always found emailing an easy out for companies-answering the phone seems to be much better option.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Oh I hear you loud and clear with the update issues. I still have an old dell before I went iMac and there's a possibility of cleaning it up and using it for this single purpose.
I had a dealer in the city to do the updates, but they closed the hobby shop now. So the only option was to send it back for the latest update.
It seems that most tech companies have the window option Windows/Apple.
It doesn't seem all that difficult, but it probably cost a few bucks.

You made some very valid points about the % of upper income also buying a Deus product.
I always found emailing an easy out for companies-answering the phone seems to be much better option.

Tons of voice prompts on a phone tree system can do wonders to decrease phone volume also :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tons of voice prompts on a phone tree system can do wonders to decrease phone volume also :)
Menu change
Due to higher level of calls
Call might/will be monitored/recorded for training purposes
Due to COVID
For the directory
For Sales
For Tech
For accounts
Please stay on the line
Due to the high call volume we offer a call back service
Beep-beep-beep

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go to your local library and do the upgrade.....problem solved.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Just go to your local library and do the upgrade.....problem solved.
I'm not sure if the library will let me do that.

The point is, 14.5 percent of desktop users in the USA are Apple based.
The average household income for Mac owners is $98,500

Nice group to exclude when you are marketing a premium $1,800 toy (Deus 2) don't you think?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I update my Equinox on a Mac, no problemo. Knowing the new Deus cannot be updated with my Mac does make it less desirable to me.
I know it use to be you couldn't use exchange2 with a Mac with Etrac and with CTX3030 when the first release. Now Mac users use file transfer on 3030 and Equinox. We use to get complaints in repair center about not being able to use Exchange2 on Mac pc.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if the library will let me do that.

The point is, 14.5 percent of desktop users in the USA are Apple based.
The average household income for Mac owners is $98,500

Nice group to exclude when you are marketing a premium $1,800 toy (Deus 2) don't you think?
Maybe XP's thinking is that you big baller $100k a year Mac owners can splurge on a $250 windows laptop fpr updates....and playing a game or two?

When did they jump up to $1800? I didn't even pay $1500 for mine.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My answer coming from an IT standpoint that applies to all 3rd party software - It's probably a waste of time for a lot of these companies to spend effort and money coding software for Apple hardware for the newest OSX operating system that has changed consistently once a year since 2011.

At my place of work (School district administration) it has been a nightmare dealing with third party software and driver compatibility with numerous Apple devices.

Long story short, Apple doesn't really give a crap about 3rd party software and never really did.

If you are that upset about your Mac not running the software learn how to emulate Windows in OSX and everyone can be happy. It's not all that difficult.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
My answer coming from an IT standpoint that applies to all 3rd party software - It's probably a waste of time for a lot of these companies to spend effort and money coding software for Apple hardware for the newest OSX operating system that has changed consistently once a year since 2011.

At my place of work (School district administration) it has been a nightmare dealing with third party software and driver compatibility with numerous Apple devices.

Long story short, Apple doesn't really give a crap about 3rd party software and never really did.

If you are that upset about your Mac not running the software learn how to emulate Windows in OSX and everyone can be happy. It's not all that difficult.
Well, almost every electronic gizmo/toy I buy from amazon, from $10 up supports Apple. It can't be that hard.

I think it raises a red flag about the size/stability/respectability of a company, with a premium brand like the Deus2.

And thats the type of response I would expect from a rinky dink operation with insufficient capital to run a profitable company "" learn how to emulate windows... Go buy a used Windows computer, etc". I can run unix, linux, BSD, but I use an apple, because I don't want a hassle. And I don't want a hassle of messing around running my Mac as a windows computer.

I kinda make the analogy of small mom n pop shops that are to cheap to accept American Express, when in the long run, it would be of great benefit for them to accept Amex.

I guess if they were a decent sized company, they would reply to their emails, or have some other way for customers to ask questions about their products.

Nothing personal against you, my gripe is with XP.

They have a few accessories in their owners manuals, the distributors nor dealers know anything about it. And so far I've not been able to reach XP via email in France.

Pfffff

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe XP's thinking is that you big baller $100k a year Mac owners can splurge on a $250 windows laptop fpr updates....and playing a game or two?

I was about to ask the same thing?? I didn’t even pay 1400. Shipped and delivered. I bought a 198.00 used Dell PC to update my D1 4 years ago and it’s still works great on the D2 update.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

$2250 Was the quote up here, if they appear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread