cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not getting the "filthy rich" or 100K plus earners regarding Apple owners. I am retired basically on social security and sell some of my antiques when I need some mad cash. I think some folks just like quality and spend for quality as best they can. Apple got big because they offer discounts to educators. My sister was a school teacher in OH who never made more then 45K/year and I was an auto mechanic who never got really close to 100K. We both own macs. Like I stated earlier, if Minelab can make their products usable with Windows or Mac, it seems XP should also easily be able to. I started with a PC but went to Mac because my sisters and parents and a lot of friends preferred them, now I like them. Might like a Deus 2 also, but I seriously don't think it will find anything my my Safari or Nox won't and I don't mind if I have to dig a few extra holes although I see lots of posts with Deus users digging plenty of old nails.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
I once lead three-person team that wrote the same application for Mac and PC at the same time. One person coded the Mac application, I coded the PC application, and the third member of the team made the media files that were used on both platforms and wrote the documentation. Roughly 20% of the "C/C++" code was shared between both platforms, and 80% of the media files. The learning curve on both the PC and the Mac was such that we could not have swapped jobs. The software was an interactive point and click campus map/tour.

It would be painful to take a PC centric application and re-code it for a Mac. The only reason our team had any code re-use was that we spent a lot of time planning and discussed the user interface differences before starting coding.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of the 14.5% of the households that use Mac, how many are metal detectorists? A generous estimate might be .25%. And of them how many of them are XP owners? Maybe 20% of that .25%?

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Of the 14.5% of the households that use Mac, how many are metal detectorists? A generous estimate might be .25%. And of them how many of them are XP owners? Maybe 20% of that .25%?
I say mainly upper income people are the ones the XP is aimed at. So if that’s the case. Not many on welfare or lower income would buy one. So this upper income group they market it to, 30-40% may have a Mac.

Non the less, big red flag that makes me wonder about many aspects of their company. Size, stability, and who’s running the company.

Fear not, china always comes along to satisfy consumers when no one else can. They lead the drone market.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say mainly upper income people are the ones the XP is aimed at. So if that’s the case. Not many on welfare or lower income would buy one. So this upper income group they market it to, 30-40% may have a Mac.

Non the less, big red flag that makes me wonder about many aspects of their company. Size, stability, and who’s running the company.

Fear not, china always comes along to satisfy consumers when no one else can. They lead the drone market.
China leads the market on stolen technology and counterfeit detectors too.

Quake

Mar 1, 2010
MD
Detector(s) used
Current: Xp Deus, Equinox 600

Detectors used: Whites XLT, Fisher F75, Minelab Se Pro, Makro racer 2, T2 LTD DST,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should of did some homework before you bought your DEUS 2 to see if it supported
Apple Apps you surely seem like this is a big issue for you. For me this didn't bother me
in making up my mind to purchase one. Maybe you should look into what these other poster's have mentioned
if it bother's you that bad.

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like messing with a used laptop!

So, this is XP's philosophy... since they are too cheap, or technically inept, we tell our customers to go out and buy another computer for updates! ( I know you don't work for XP. You obviously replied. I sent them an email, and never got a reply back)

You are possibly right.. Apple's account for less than 10% of PC sales.

But who are those 10%? These are not the low income people who buy cheap products, these are upper income people who are the ones more likely to be buying an $1800 Metal Detector. So, I would guesstimate thats 20-30 percent of the potential buyers for the Deus 2.

This is a big segment of customers that the intelligent people who are management at XP have chosen to ignore.

I just bought a Legend... Apple compatible.

Almost every $15-$30 electronic toy I buy on Amazon, works with Apple. But not my $1,800 Deus XP.

It paints a not so good picture of XP. If I would be a potential investor in that company, their decision alone would throw up a lot of red flags.

I want to see the company succeed, it's a nice product. But it makes me question whomever runs the company's decision making abilities.
It was posted on another forum about a successful update using an Apple machine.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Well, almost every electronic gizmo/toy I buy from amazon, from $10 up supports Apple. It can't be that hard.

I think it raises a red flag about the size/stability/respectability of a company, with a premium brand like the Deus2.

And thats the type of response I would expect from a rinky dink operation with insufficient capital to run a profitable company "" learn how to emulate windows... Go buy a used Windows computer, etc". I can run unix, linux, BSD, but I use an apple, because I don't want a hassle. And I don't want a hassle of messing around running my Mac as a windows computer.

I kinda make the analogy of small mom n pop shops that are to cheap to accept American Express, when in the long run, it would be of great benefit for them to accept Amex.

I guess if they were a decent sized company, they would reply to their emails, or have some other way for customers to ask questions about their products.

Nothing personal against you, my gripe is with XP.

They have a few accessories in their owners manuals, the distributors nor dealers know anything about it. And so far I've not been able to reach XP via email in France.

Pfffff
"Well, almost every electronic gizmo/toy I buy from amazon, from $10 up supports Apple. It can't be that hard."

BINGO!

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if the library will let me do that.

The point is, 14.5 percent of desktop users in the USA are Apple based.
The average household income for Mac owners is $98,500

Nice group to exclude when you are marketing a premium $1,800 toy (Deus 2) don't you think?
Out of the 14.5% of Apple users here in the USA, how many are detectorists?? Probably .1% of those at best. If I was XP I wouldn't waste time catering to the obscure few that run Apple machines.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not filthy rich by any means, but have used a Mac as my main desktop for nearly 20 years, and a macbookpro for a laptop. I can update the Equinox with them no problem. We have a few PC's that we use as shipping computers - cheap from Best Buy.

To Mac users, a "PC" is not an apple computer. Most Mac users will find a workaround for products not made for the system, which may include using a different product that is Mac compatible. You can run a version of Windows or Linux if the system is compartmentalized for them.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the 14.5% of Apple users here in the USA, how many are detectorists?? Probably .1% of those at best. If I was XP I wouldn't waste time catering to the obscure few that run Apple machines.
Actually, I have seven friends who detect and five plus myself are Mac users. If y'all who think Macs are for rich people and the Deus is for rich people it would stand to reason that they'd make their machines compatible with Macs. I bought my first detector in 1970, a Garrett Master Hunter BFO. It cost me $150 and my weekly salary was about $125 before taxes. $1500 for a top of the line machine these days is not much different, lots of people make $1500 a week. Last time I looked, this was still America where you get what you pay for. There is a reason top of the line detectors, computers, or anything else are more expensive, they deliver superior performance and build and to those who appreciate superior performance and build the difference in cost is offset by that performance.

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the households who use PCs, what percentage are metal detectorists? Possibly less than Mac users, who knows?

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
I contacted XP, and here was his reply! I'm satisfied!

Hi Dave

Yes you have right, we will install a MAC platform in the coming months. However 90% of Mac owners have also a PC.
Cordialement/Regards
Alain LOUBET

CEO Company Founder
XPLORER

8 rue du développement - ZI de VIC
F-31320 Castanet Tolosan – France
Tel : +33 6 22 42 20 70
www.xpmetaldetectors.com

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted XP, and here was his reply! I'm satisfied!

Hi Dave

Yes you have right, we will install a MAC platform in the coming months. However 90% of Mac owners have also a PC.
Cordialement/Regards
Alain LOUBET

CEO Company Founder
XPLORER

8 rue du développement - ZI de VIC
F-31320 Castanet Tolosan – France
Tel : +33 6 22 42 20 70
www.xpmetaldetectors.com

Attachments

• what he said.jpg
    what he said.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 30

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
15-20 percent of desktop computers are apples. Many owners who are upper income. Why doesn't XP offer the ability to update the Deus 2 via an apple computer?

Does not sound like a very good decision by their company. They are excluding a big group of potential customers.

BTW I purchased a Dues 2.
Planned obsolescence and planned battery replacement, software degradation something you prefer?

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Planned obsolescence and planned battery replacement, software degradation something you prefer?
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying only apple products age? Are you saying only apple products need batteries replaced? Software degradation?

I've had em all, apple gives me the least problems. And they have not become the largest company in the world by accident. Might not be for you, but.... a few folks like em!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple still only has 8.5% of the pc market so a few do like them.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually heard Gary Blackwell talking on a podcast / show yesterday that MAC support was in the works and should be released very soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread