Why doesn't XP support Apple?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying only apple products age? Are you saying only apple products need batteries replaced? Software degradation?

I've had em all, apple gives me the least problems. And they have not become the largest company in the world by accident. Might not be for you, but.... a few folks like em!

Programed to age prematurely.. I use Mac daily so I'm not anti, just being realistic and factual.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my first computer back in the 80's, I had a choice between Apple and a PC. With a PC, I had all sorts of options, both hardware and software from countless companies. If I bought the Apple, I had to pay more for it that an equally spec'd PC, and I had to buy all the software from Apple.......nobody else made any, and it was more expensive than PC software too. Since I don't like monopolies or having my arm twisted, the choice was simple for me. So far, I've been able to do whatever I wanted on a PC, but, who knows.....maybe I've been missing something I haven't even thought about! :laughing7:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, however you want to define it for yourself is fine. PC's have traditionally been known as Windows machines. But go for it.

OP
OP
M

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Hey, however you want to define it for yourself is fine. PC's have traditionally been known as Windows machines. But go for it.
PC = Personal Computer. Personal = used by myself. Computer =. You know what that is.

In the strictest definition, a Mac is a PC because PC stands for personal computer. However, in everyday use, the term PC typically refers to a computer running the Windows operating system, not the operating system made by Apple.

So, how does a Mac differ from a Windows-based PC?

Mac vs. PC or Mac and PC?​

The Mac vs. PC showdown started when IBM, not Apple or Microsoft, was the king of the computer. The IBM PC was IBM's answer to the flourishing personal computer market that started with the Altair 8800 and was being led by companies like Apple and Commodore.

IBM was thrown a curveball when IBM-compatible personal computers, commonly referred to as PC clones, started popping up. When Commodore dropped out of the personal computer market, it became mostly a two-company race between Apple's Macintosh line of computers and the legion of IBM-compatible computers, which were often referred to (even by Apple) as merely PCs. As Apple framed it, you could buy a PC, or you could buy a Mac.

Despite Apple's attempts to distance itself from the PC, the Mac is now, and has always been, a personal computer.

How a Mac and a Windows-Based PC Are Similar​

Because a Mac is a PC, it probably won't surprise you to learn that Macs have more in common with Windows-based PCs than you might think. How much in common? Well, while this wasn't always the case, you can install the Windows operating system on a Mac.

Remember, the Mac is just a PC with Mac OS installed on it. As much as Apple prefers the Mac to be thought of as something different than a PC, it's never been more similar. You can install both Windows and Mac OS on your MacBook or iMac, switch between them, or run them side-by-side (or, more accurately, run Windows on top of Mac OS) using software such as Parallels or Fusion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not just me..

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to add... I was running a business on a windows computer. My main drive, and the backup drive both got infected with a virus. Probably cost me......$20,000-$30,000 in damages.

NEVER AGAIN

I found your IT guy:

dog.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my second Mac. It has been running since 2011 . I never turn it off just put it to sleep and log out. Turning anything on and off wears them out. I use a Lacy back up hard drive. Use a VPN ,firewall and virus protection and have never had a problem. I used to run a windows pc and it was just a lot of work.

I turn on a microsoft pc and just stare at it now and wonder what was thinking having a computer that I had to work for all the time not to mention bugs,hang ups all that crazy stuff.

When this one dies or gets full I will buy another. This mac has been running 11 years Lol.
BTW I metal detect and got a great CW permission this evening. Guarantee I will find something.
Oh my old mac still works but wiped it I just need more storage. Might link them if I get ambitious.

Lammi

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess XP figures that the filthy rich Apple users would find it no big deal to shell out a few hundred more the get a Windows PC just for updates. :laughing7:
Well I read all these post and can say I only own apple, phone, 12.9 tablet, and MacBook Pro
im by no means rich , just like apple
To each their own
I would love to see support for apple,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread