Why was Lewis & Clarks expedition not wiped out by tribes ? (History)

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome old gun but that is not why they were not attacked.

The Louisiana Purchase nearly doubled the territorial size of the United States. Occupying that vast area were numerous Indian tribes. Although we tend to think of Indians as one people, the tribes Lewis and Clark met were actually very different from one another. Indeed, in terms of language, appearance, and way of life they were as dissimilar from each other as the peoples of Europe.

Most of the tribes Lewis and Clark encountered were little known in the United States. Many of these tribes, in fact, had become friends with France, Spain, and England before the United States had become a country. It was very important to gain the loyalty and friendship of these tribes for economic as well as military and political reasons. Therefore, President Jefferson instructed Lewis and Clark to make friends and develop trade relations with these Indians as well as collect scientific and military information about them.

Lewis and Clark fulfilled their roles as ambassadors of good will to perfection. Whenever they encountered a band of Indians, the captains held a conference, distributed presents, and explained to them that they now owed their allegiance to the United States, not France, Spain, or England. The most important of the presents were certificates, American flags, and Jefferson medals, known as peace medals from the clasped hands of friendship on the obverse.

The Corps of Discovery succeeded because of the help of the Indian peoples met along the way. Imagine a chain--its links Indian communities--that stretched from the Mandan villages on the upper Missouri across the Rockies and then along the Columbia River to the Pacific coast. For Lewis and Clark this chain of friendship was a lifeline that enabled them to pass safely through a strange and unknown landscape.

The Corps benefited from the protective custody they enjoyed while within the territory occupied by each tribe they visited. From the Indians the explorers received food, an opportunity to rest, and advice about the route immediately ahead.

The expedition was particularly indebted to the Nez Perce Indians, who the starving explorers met on September 20, 1805, after their ordeal on the Lolo Trail.

Had the Nez Perce been so inclined, the Corps of Discovery could have been erased without a trace. Instead, the Nez Perce fed the explorers and then cared for their horses, which would be needed for their recrossing of the Lolo Trail the following year.

After wintering at Fort Clatsop near the mouth of the Columbia River, the Corps of Discovery arrived back in Nez Perce country on June 10, 1806 to find their horses and other belongings in good shape. The Nez Perce not only supplied the explorers with food, but also furnished guides to lead them safely across the trail.

One reason the various tribes were so helpful to Lewis and Clark may have been their Indian companion, Sacagawea, and her infant son. This Shoshone woman, married to the French trader Toussaint Charbonneau, accompanied the Corps of Discovery from the Mandan villages to the Pacific Ocean and then came back with them.

Indians who might have suspected the explorers were on a warlike mission would have been reassured by seeing Sacagawea and her child with the soldiers. According to William Clark, "The Wife of Shabano our interpreter We find reconsiles all the Indians, as to our friendly intentions. A woman with a party of men is a token of peace."

Lewis and Clark : Indian Country

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a cool rifle, I wonder why it never caught on?

I have read a lot of first hand accounts from trappers, prospectors, and explorers in this early time period, and I'm getting a much better understanding of the Native Americans than the one sided crap we were taught in school.

Generally speaking, when treated with respect, and honor it was returned.

When they were disrespected, they responded in kind.

I remember an account written about a white settler clearing his land, when a lost 4 or 5 year old native boy wandered into "his" clearing. The farmer scooped the youngster up, and threw him on his brush fire. He was proud to relate the story.

Can you imagine that? That's just one example of thousands......

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Louisiana Purchase nearly doubled the territorial size of the United States. Occupying that vast area were numerous Indian tribes. Although we tend to think of Indians as one people, the tribes Lewis and Clark met were actually very different from one another. Indeed, in terms of language, appearance, and way of life they were as dissimilar from each other as the peoples of Europe.

Most of the tribes Lewis and Clark encountered were little known in the United States. Many of these tribes, in fact, had become friends with France, Spain, and England before the United States had become a country. It was very important to gain the loyalty and friendship of these tribes for economic as well as military and political reasons. Therefore, President Jefferson instructed Lewis and Clark to make friends and develop trade relations with these Indians as well as collect scientific and military information about them.

Lewis and Clark fulfilled their roles as ambassadors of good will to perfection. Whenever they encountered a band of Indians, the captains held a conference, distributed presents, and explained to them that they now owed their allegiance to the United States, not France, Spain, or England. The most important of the presents were certificates, American flags, and Jefferson medals, known as peace medals from the clasped hands of friendship on the obverse.

The Corps of Discovery succeeded because of the help of the Indian peoples met along the way. Imagine a chain--its links Indian communities--that stretched from the Mandan villages on the upper Missouri across the Rockies and then along the Columbia River to the Pacific coast. For Lewis and Clark this chain of friendship was a lifeline that enabled them to pass safely through a strange and unknown landscape.

The Corps benefited from the protective custody they enjoyed while within the territory occupied by each tribe they visited. From the Indians the explorers received food, an opportunity to rest, and advice about the route immediately ahead.

The expedition was particularly indebted to the Nez Perce Indians, who the starving explorers met on September 20, 1805, after their ordeal on the Lolo Trail.

Had the Nez Perce been so inclined, the Corps of Discovery could have been erased without a trace. Instead, the Nez Perce fed the explorers and then cared for their horses, which would be needed for their recrossing of the Lolo Trail the following year.

After wintering at Fort Clatsop near the mouth of the Columbia River, the Corps of Discovery arrived back in Nez Perce country on June 10, 1806 to find their horses and other belongings in good shape. The Nez Perce not only supplied the explorers with food, but also furnished guides to lead them safely across the trail.

One reason the various tribes were so helpful to Lewis and Clark may have been their Indian companion, Sacagawea, and her infant son. This Shoshone woman, married to the French trader Toussaint Charbonneau, accompanied the Corps of Discovery from the Mandan villages to the Pacific Ocean and then came back with them.

Indians who might have suspected the explorers were on a warlike mission would have been reassured by seeing Sacagawea and her child with the soldiers. According to William Clark, "The Wife of Shabano our interpreter We find reconsiles all the Indians, as to our friendly intentions. A woman with a party of men is a token of peace."

I disagree. I think the rifle played a significant role in the role and image they were wanting to portray. Here in the South East De Soto survived in his expedition here because of his iron armor and weapons.The indians were impressed by that. The first group of settlers in my area right after De Soto were were all drug off the rafts and killed men and pregnant women and children as well. That is a first contact here. I am sure an air rifle of that magnitude was very impressive to the tribes.
You have to remember Sluice what technology represented as did trade. What you state is true historically but I do not believe it was a solid chain of friendship and they presented many illusions of strength along the way as stated many tribes were often at war with each other .
So yes I feel as the original journals said the air rifle was showing superior power and then they traded goods.Some tribes were more helpful than others no doubt.
Chain of friendship that was formed from strength? That text above was cut and copied from a school lesson plan. I think it is sugar coating things to be honest. Or it assumes much the journals do not.

Last edited:

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. I think the rifle played a significant role in the role and image they were wanting to portray. Here in the South East De Soto survived in his expedition here because of his iron armor and weapons.The indians were impressed by that. The first group of settlers in my area right after De Soto were were all drug off the rafts and killed men and pregnant women and children as well. That is a first contact here. I am sure an air rifle of that magnitude was very impressive to the tribes.
You have to remember Sluice what technology represented as did trade. What you state is true historically but I do not believe it was a solid chain of friendship and they presented many illusions of strength along the way as stated many tribes were often at war with each other .
So yes I feel as the original journals said the air rifle was showing superior power and then they traded goods.Some tribes were more helpful than others no doubt.

I agree with that. Superior firepower always helps retain the peace, no doubt about it. The Indians had firearms and gunpowder, the British supplied them but that air rifle would have been the talk of the town, I mean Indian village :laughing7:. The western frontier started at the Ohio River, and there were several expeditions that ended in bloody battles, the early pioneers and settlers were constantly being attacked. These early Indian Wars instilled alot of fear in the Indian tribes, especially the ones that had been driven west. Fear of the US Government retaliating may have also played a big role. But I think the Indians mainly saw them as friendly White Men, that were willing to trade.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what a cool rifle, I wonder why it never caught on?

I have read a lot of first hand accounts from trappers, prospectors, and explorers in this early time period, and I'm getting a much better understanding of the Native Americans than the one sided crap we were taught in school.

Generally speaking, when treated with respect, and honor it was returned.

When they were disrespected, they responded in kind.

I remember an account written about a white settler clearing his land, when a lost 4 or 5 year old native boy wandered into "his" clearing. The farmer scooped the youngster up, and threw him on his brush fire. He was proud to relate the story.

Can you imagine that? That's just one example of thousands......

you want to read this...

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Captain-Bonneville-Washington-Irving/dp/0792237439

especially if you live out west...it describes a lot of places that folks living in Idaho, Washington etc. are very familiar with today.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with that. Superior firepower always helps retain the peace, no doubt about it. The Indians had firearms and gunpowder, the British supplied them but that air rifle would have been the talk of the town, I mean Indian village :laughing7:. The western frontier started at the Ohio River, and there were several expeditions that ended in bloody battles, the early pioneers and settlers were constantly being attacked. These early Indian Wars instilled alot of fear in the Indian tribes, especially the ones that had been driven west. Fear of the US Government retaliating may have also played a big role. But I think the Indians mainly saw them as friendly White Men, that were willing to trade.

I agree with you. Unfortunately it was always the beginning of the end.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Their route took them through the middle of the Blackfeet, Bloods and Piegan territory (Blackfeet Federation), they basically hated everyone and were at war with all the plains tribes...

On July 26, reconnoitering north of the Missouri, Lewis’ detachment met for the first time the Piegan clan of the Blackfoot Indians, a tribe that seemed to be fighting a feud with all the tribes of the Plains. Lewis’ tribe would be no exception. For once-and almost fatally-Lewis let down his guard. On the morning of July 27, Lewis’ men were still in bed when Piegans strode into their camp. The practiced eyes of the Indian raiders noticed that both guns and horses were unattended. Without warning, the Piegans struck.

Joseph Fields ‘turned about to look for his gun and saw [a Piegan] just running off with it. He called to his brother [Reuben] who instantly jumped up and pursued… him, and Reuben Fields, as he seized his gun, stabbed the Indian to the heart!’ George Drouillard wrestled his firearm from the Blackfoot who had snatched it. Lewis himself quickly drew his big-mouthed .54-caliber flintlock pistol on the thief who had his musket and ordered him to drop it. The Piegans fled, with Lewis and his men capturing some of the Indians’ horses instead of the Blackfeet running off all the Americans’ mounts.

After the skirmish with the Blackfeet, Lewis, lest he be outnumbered by the warlike people, turned around to meet up again with Clark. Lewis made good time (covering as much as 83 miles in one day) paddling downstream on the Missouri, and on August 7 he reached the mouth of the Yellowstone. There the men found a note from Captain Clark, informing them of his intention of waiting for them a few miles below. Finally, after Lewis survived being shot by Pierre Cruzatte by accident while out hunting elk on the 11th, Lewis’ party rejoined Clark’s detachment on August 12, 1806.

http://www.historynet.com/lewis-and-clark-expedition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread