Why were the Peraltas and crew massacred?

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read different stories of why they were massacred. Such as one of the men raped a Native American woman or the Native American's became angree when they saw 80 or more mexican miners that might be taking over their land. I also have read some where that a Jesuit priest or priests killed and buried the N.A. with the treasure so there wouldn't be any witnesses ( dead men don't tell tales ). A young N.A. saw what happened and told what had happened. The treasure site became a sacred burial site and has been watched since the killing happened. I believe that the Peraltas while prospecting or knowingly looking for the treasure, found the treasure site/sacred burial site, They may have disturbed the site and the call went out, of course we know what happened next. Are there any other stories or opinions?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Nobody. I can't recall his name off the top of my head. He won the first treasure hunter of the year in AJ. A old Mexican. He walked up to me at the awards last year. Said the Apache in Mexico hated the Mexicans. Told me those Apache followed the Mexican mining group to the Superstitions. When the time was right they ambushed the Mexicans and killed them. Perhaps the Local Apache helped. He did not refer to them though.

OP
OP
N

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read that the apache tried toto get the military to join them to chase out the mexicans, the military turned them down.The Apache had said that their woman and children could beat the mexicans. I still believe in the sacred ground.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Nobody. I can't recall his name off the top of my head. He won the first treasure hunter of the year in AJ. A old Mexican. He walked up to me at the awards last year. Said the Apache in Mexico hated the Mexicans. Told me those Apache followed the Mexican mining group to the Superstitions. When the time was right they ambushed the Mexicans and killed them. Perhaps the Local Apache helped. He did not refer to them though.

Completely plausible but, do you believe it?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Mexicans took and sold apache scalps in Chihuahua for gold. Caused just a bit of hatred.

OP
OP
N

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly the N.A. came from all over, 200 or more. I read some where as many as 400. And those that do know are not going tell anyone that the site is being watched, that would be admiting there is a Jesuit treasure.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 30 men found were the missing miners of the Beale Papers Hunting Party.......

proof of the miners and their story is here.....

along with the photos of the Dutchman's Mine....and the others found by using the Peralta Stones......

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention enslaving Apache captives.

The apache weren't liked by anyone in Arizona, white man, Mexicans and other Indian tribes hated them because they only took, never gave. They raided the hard working neighboring tribes and Mexicans and stole their livestock and crops, white man hated them because they stole women and children and made slaves of them

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
The 30 men found were the missing miners of the Beale Papers Hunting Party.......

along with the photos of the Dutchman's Mine....and the others found by using the Peralta Stones......

you gotta stop man

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ELDO I forgot. You stand to be hit the worst by the new revelations the Stone Maps are forgery's. Made by one man. I see you've invested a lot of time in this like so many of us.

How do you feel about the recent evidence that surfaced? Does it fit into your theory or did you know they were not real?

Was Travis Tumlinson and his family KGC operative's? Show us if you have any new information not being presented please.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gotta stop man

He's not gonna stop Hooch.
Travis made those stones for gullible "semi-professionals" like Eldo to figger out.
While he and his family worked with the real stuff.
Hey, sometimes the winners play dirty.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
He's not gonna stop Hooch.
Travis made those stones for gullible "semi-professionals" like Eldo to figger out.
While he and his family worked with the real stuff.
Hey, sometimes the winners play dirty.

Show me an authentic winner in this sort of game (not the sea of posers, but the real deals) and I'll show you a sociopath. Not singling out Travis, but the behavior seems to be a requirement for the job. Here's a checklist: Back to basics: a sociopathy checklist | The Path Whisperer

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show me an authentic winner in this sort of game (not the sea of posers, but the real deals) and I'll show you a sociopath. Not singling out Travis, but the behavior seems to be a requirement for the job. Here's a checklist: Back to basics:*a*sociopathy*checklist | The Path Whisperer

Tendencies maybe, but someone else immediately came to mind while reading your referenced article.
A better than 90% fit IMO, and featured in front page headlines almost every day.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to go as far as front page headlines, this site will do just fine.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
So did some of the first white guys who wanted the land.

Anyone ever wonder what happened to the local natives when the Apache were run out of there homes before they got to New Mexico and Arizona? It was just the way it was.......worldwide. The white man just did a better and more permanent job.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone ever wonder what happened to the local natives when the Apache were run out of there homes before they got to New Mexico and Arizona? It was just the way it was.......worldwide. The white man just did a better and more permanent job.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Probably can't argue much the permanent part but there must be some room for subjectivity in 'better'

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I have some old letters from 1865 written to the territorial governor of Arizona asking for help controlling the Apaches... I also have paperwork on the Peralta's... pretty interesting from my friend's family tree history....... one of the papers has Jack swellings signature and Jacob Waltz's signature on it...........these are handwritten letters... from 1865...db

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok here's the story that I heard: The Peralta's had for years gone mining in the Upper Supes and each time they "paid off" the local Apache tribe. When they heard about the Guadalpe Pruchase (sorry for the spelling) that was being talked about, Peralta made a "last trip" up there. Lots of men and figured he didn't need to pay off the Apaches, as he had so many men. After about 6 months of mining they started back down the Salt river to come out. The Local Tribe had managed to get more tribes to join in the raid them. They hit them near the top end of the Supes and drove them into the Massacure Grounds. Peralta's 2 young sons and a family retainer climbed up the back wall and escaped the massacure by going along the top and then decending and making it back to Mexico. Years later when the Purchase was almost done, the 2 brothers decided to make another "Last Run" at mining up there. They again got a large party together and went up into the Supes. They didn't know about the payments that had been made to the Apache tribe before and figured that they had enough men that they weren't worried about one tribe of Apaches. But again that tribe contacted others and when they started back out with the newly mined gold as the Apaches were about to start attacking them, the Peralta's turned and went right up into the Massacure Grounds! To get the cached gold from the last time they mined up there. This time the Apaches remembered that some had climbed the back wall and got away, so they had some waiting on top and there were no survivors this time.
Now go to 1963-64 when the "Last Murderer" was brought back from Hawaii for shooting his "Best Friend" over a 4 Lb nugget found in the Supes (Iron Pyrite). The Extradition was front page news. Further back was the article used as "filler". In 1948 a man (don't remember his name) went up to the Massacure Grounds with a WWII mine detector( the first Metal detector) and found 2 trenches in the Massacure Grounds. Both were 8 about inchs wide. one 50 feet long and the other was 70 feet long, filled with leather bags full of "processed gold". In 1948 it was worth 26 Million dollars. He lost 1/2 of it to the US Gov. as Treasure Trove Tax (50%), then the IRS came and hit him with 98% Income tax on the remaining 13 Million. That is why it stuck in my memory 26 Million to 260K in one fell swoop to Uncle Sam. "You can have the money or you can have the Fame, not both."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread