Wikiup rings

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians used sagebrush to form huts or Wikiups.I have come across thousands of the rock rings that still exist today.Here are couple pics of one or two
Paiute_woman_grinding_seeds_in_doorway_of_thatched_hut,_small_boy_in_foreground,_1872_-_NARA_-_5.jpg Paiute_1.jpeg points 037.JPG points 035.JPG

I dont know if this was a sacred site or what,but it was unlike any I have ever seen,had rock etchings,and gave off a feel like I have never felt any where since
points 036.JPG points 038.JPG points 039.JPG I have many pics of rock art...many that quite possibly have not been seen by anybody but me,in hundreds of years...I will put a few up as time allows

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rofl...when I talk about these rings, people have told me I am stupid....

too funny kuger...good photographs...

some old stone art there? I thought you were up in calif?

wikiup's are southwestern structures.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........I am all over Amigo :thumbsup: Let em laugh,as I said I can show ya literally THOUSANDS of them.I know of one camp that has over 500 of them.I can show ya Teepee (Lodge)rings in Montana as well

No idea about the age of the art,I fortunatly photographed a great many I came across through the years but no idea about age or meaning
points 040.JPG

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..you mentioned Cali....here is one for ya,that happens to be in Calif.It is on a large private Ranch,and nobody for many generations ever could say,who built it and for what?I can tell ya,it took some unreal engineering and pics dont do it justice
points 041.JPG points 042.JPG

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miniature Stonehenge?

:laughing7: oddly enough,thats what the few people that have got to see it have refereed to it as.Some claim it was a Grizzly trap,which is semi plausible.The area was infested with Grizzlies and they had Bear -Bull fights near by,but I have seen quite a few of those traps and none look like this

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello kuger.id really like to see some of the rock art you have.thanks.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello kuger.id really like to see some of the rock art you have.thanks.
Its terrible that I am having to take pictures of pictures but in my days of adventure we had this stuff call film!!:laughing7: I will see if I can get better results than I have experieced as of yet and see if any can be interpreted

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome thanks for sharing !!!!!! Learning new things is great

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you said, there are many Tipi rings or stone circles here in Montana, that number to a few to up to a hundred in one area. Hope it is okay to share a photo of some.

Folder #1 170.JPG Folder #1 172.JPG

Folder #1 173.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do,if you have more,and thanks!!!I looked and looked and dont have any of my pics here where I am at

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my cousins acreage in Nevada has several of these rock bed platforms under the small junipers (which as I am sure you know my be small but are hundreds of years old)...and then there is this one....looks like a grave site ring of rocks with some sort of symbol in the middle of placed stones. You can't really tell too well but he symbol is very much like the constellation "cygnus". The place she owns is covered with scrapers and flakes and rock cairns...she just leaves them in situ...I will look for my other Piute rock art pictures too....

Attachments

• IMGP0427.JPG
    IMGP0427.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMGP0428.JPG
    IMGP0428.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: keep em coming!!I am glad I dont have any hair left,or I wuld have pulled it out looking for pic's I know I have!!

I need to say,I used Wikiup",that may not be the right word,for this area.....the Indian people of the area have always called them "Hootchums",I have no idea if that is the proper name,but that is what they use...."Hootchum Rings"

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"hootch" means something else to me....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger
user-offline.png

silver.gif
us.png
Dennis
Jan 2012
Montana
White's MXT
1196 times
All Types Of Treasure Hunting

When I am out and about I need to take more pictures of those Tipi rings. I personally have not chanced upon any, but up in the higher altitudes (above 7000 ft.) of some of the local mountain ranges are some really old lodge pole frame shelters. Back in the day the native American hunters would follow the buffalo and other indigenous game as some of them would migrate to the higher altitudes to escape from the biting flies. The native Americans would also hunt the Bighorn sheep which would also seek the higher altitudes during the summer months for the nutrient grasses, and return to the lower elevations during the late fall and winters. I have heard that there are some of those shelters around, maybe one of these day I may be lucky to find one.

Here is one more photo that I have. There were only about three or four Tipi rings in this one area, so I presume that a small family group camped there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lodge poles are heavy, even with a truck, difficult to move... prior to canvas being introduced, a large buffalo skin lodge were hundreds of pounds of skin.

:laughing7:..Had big plans to use half my Buff hide(The front half went to the massive shoulder mount)as a bed spread....wrong!!!Unless you like the feeling of a 100 lb's on your chest!!I dont know for fact what it weighs,but it is HEAVY....keeps ya warm though!!

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..the mini Stonehenge is...the picto's are Nevada....I meant to take some pictures of some pictures of more this weekend and didnt get to it.....I will

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread