Wildlife encounters while MD-ing

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious about and would like to hear some of the interesting, crazy, funny, scary wildlife encounters you've had while out enjoying this great hobby.
I've never been chased by a gator, croc, shark or a bear. I've never ran into a sea snake, blue ringed octopus, box jellyfish or water moccasin while sand fishing, and hope I never do, but I sure there's been plenty of close calls for some of you out there?
My stories are mild, I've just had fun seeing fish follow me around (little ones do nibble on me every once in a while) as I stirred up the sand looking for goodies. I've enjoyed seeing some sand hill cranes and bald eagles probably trying to figure out what I was up to swinging a stick.
What are some of your stories?

Upvote 0

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in a local park a few weeks ago around dusk just quietly swinging away, caught a movement off to the side. It was a skunk!!! not quite full grown but happily walking towards me a few feet away. I just stood there as it came up and sniffed my leg then it turned and went on its way. It was a tense few seconds but I figured that just staying still was the best option at that point. I kept an eye on it for a while but then suddenly I couldn't see it anymore as it was getting too dark. Thought that was a good time to call it a day.
I moved a planter next to the hot-tub on Sunday and disturbed a wasp nest I had no idea about. They were not too happy with me, I'm glad my wife didn't see how fast I can move when the need arises as I'm sure I was not too graceful getting out of the area.
Not as disturbing as some of you'r guys encounters but enough to get my heart beating a little faster.

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a dolphin approach me in Turks and Caicos while detecting , it must have heard the threshold tone. I've also had 6'wide stingrays glide past me and I was once in the middle of a baitball of small fish with bigger fish on the outside.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569120730.860872.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture is worth a thousand words....had the same experience as you 1KBlue Tuber. Only difference was a fisherman who was standing on the otherside of the shark. I was able to back out of the water and warn the fisherman. I through rocks at the shark trying to distract it while the fisherman slowly worked his way around the back of the shark and in to the beach. The shark was a very large bull in waist deep water !! We both sat on the beach in dis belief......he shared a beer with me and left with many thank yous.

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flipperfla, All the best staying safe. What is the tan, striped snake? A rat snake?

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manatees are easy to spot when they are coming toward you, but when you're out there in waist/chest deep water at sunup, and one pulls up beside you from behind.....
I've had more than one show interest in the big yellow coil of the Duel Field.

CPT_GhostLight

Greenie
Jul 21, 2021
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, & ProFind 35, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher Gold Bug 2 & F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer, my daughter and I were detecting at night on the SE coast of Florida at the water line when we noticed what looked like huge boulders in the water that weren't there when we started. I thought maybe the tide was still going out and uncovered the boulders, but then we could see they were moving slightly. I thought, "What the...!" Then my daughter whispered "Freeze!" as the first boulder came on shore. Then we realized there were massive Loggerhead turles coming on shore to lay their eggs. We froze and turned off our red headlamps and detectors and were surrounded by a dozen turtles in just minutes. They move surprizingly fast on land and within minutes they passed by us and were moving to the edge of the dunes. We didn't want to disturb their nesting so we then quietly slipped away to the beach entrance and watch as many more of these boulders krept on shore. It was pretty cool to see.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While out to a frequent spot last year settle in some deep backwoods, I kept hearing a crunching sound. I wasn't even 5 minutes in swinging. I caught a glimpse of something roughly 50ft away cresting the hilltop I was on. It was a momma deer and a somewhat fresh yearly in tow. I froze and didn't move. When I looked down I noticed I was right on top of their path and walking towards me cautiously. They never noticed me. Not even 10 ft away the mom stopped in front of me looking in another direction. She flicked her ear, and they both walked to my left down the hill aside from me. After the got about 20 ft l away. I yelled out " what are yall up to!?" I never seen a deer jump in the air so high 🤣. The baby just looked back at me like ' ya I knew you were there. I carried on with my day

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen sharks, snakes, & alligators in some of the waters where I was diving & searching. They never seemed interested in me . My scariest experience while metal detecting, was having a herd of wild hogs run by within 50 ft of me. Two of the bigger hogs stopped & stared at me for a few seconds before running away.

You've seen it all, but those wild hogs really Scare Me...! AS , I too out and about, and outta nowhere, a Thundering Herd of huge HOGS, crossed right in front of me, about 30ft away...! Whew, it was close enough....! Immense animals, and Fast, too...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread