William IV button

Jtim

Greenie
Sep 22, 2022
Does anyone have any information on this button i found. I know the dates are when William IV was born and when he became king. Its a flat button with no design on the front. It appears to be a lion in the center where the shank is soldiered. I can see feet and a tail. Any help would be appreciated. Its got Born AUG 21 1765 ASC JUNE 26 1830
WILL IV

Attachments

• 20220920_165619.jpg
    20220920_165619.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
Upvote 15

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone have any information on this button i found. I know the dates are when William IV was born and when he became king. Its a flat button with no design on the front. It appears to be a lion in the center where the shank is soldiered. I can see feet and a tail. Any help would be appreciated. Its got Born AUG 21 1765 ASC JUNE 26 1830
WILL IV
Welcome to Treasure Net!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WILL IV
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Welcome to Tnet!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WILL IV
Jtim,
What a cool find...that's a button I'd love to sew onto a shirt... someone on Tnet will know...and welcome!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seen this type, so look forward to any update....

PS. I agree it's a Lion left, swaggers & laurel leaf surround with Kings Crown over the top.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I've never seen one either.

My gut feel is that this may not have started life as a button, but has been converted from a medalet, non-currency token/counter or something of that kind.

Note that 26th June 1830 was William's accession date (probably expressed on the button as an abbreviation for the less-used term these day: 'ascension') and not his coronation date. We have a "the King is dead, long live the King" protocol (as happened after Elizabeth's recent demise) but the actual coronation happens on an agreed date after that... and often several months later. Charles' coronation for example might not be until 2nd June next year.

Coin-like items of this kind were widely produced as souvenir memorabilia for coronations, Royal weddings, anniversaries etc and occasionally for the initial accession too. At that time there wouldn't yet have been any coinage portrait to copy, which might explain why William isn't depicted.

OP
OP
J

Jtim

Greenie
Sep 22, 2022

My gut feel is that this may not have started life as a button, but has been converted from a medalet, non-currency token/counter or something of that kind.

Note that 26th June 1830 was William's accession date (probably expressed on the button as an abbreviation for the less-used term these day: 'ascension') and not his coronation date. We have a "the King is dead, long live the King" protocol (as happened after Elizabeth's recent demise) but the actual coronation happens on an agreed date after that... and often several months later. Charles' coronation for example might not be until 2nd June next year.

Coin-like items of this kind were widely produced as souvenir memorabilia for coronations, Royal weddings, anniversaries etc and occasionally for the initial accession too. At that time there wouldn't yet have been any coinage portrait to copy, which might explain why William isn't depicted.

Thank you for correcting me on it being accession date and not the coronation date. You may be right about it not being a button to start with. The strange thing is the shank is soldiered to the side with the design an it rather than on the side with no design. Both side are gold guilded. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
J

Jtim

Greenie
Sep 22, 2022
Thank you for correcting me on it being accession date and not the coronation date. You may be right about it not being a button to start with. The strange thing is the shank is soldiered to the side with the design an it rather than on the side with no design. Both side are gold guilded. Thanks for the info.
PS. I would love to know how it got here because i live in Amelia County, Virginia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions