Winning Lottery Ticket Found in .......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Winning Lottery Ticket Found in Wallet of Dead Michigan Man Who Washed Up on Shore of Lake Huron​

Found in Wallet of Dead Michigan Man Who Washed Up on Shore of Lake Huron​

A Michigan man was found dead on a private beach in the Saginaw Bay area of Lake Huron with a winning lottery ticket in his wallet.

The body of 57-year-old Gregory Jarvis was found on a private beach on Friday, September 24, according to ABC 12. Authorities discovered a winning lottery ticket in his wallet and decided to investigate his death further.

Jarvis won a $45,000 jackpot playing the club keno add-on game ā€œThe Jack,ā€ at Blue Water Inn in Caseville, Michigan, on September 13, ABC 12 reported.

Jarvis was unable to claim his prize as his social security card was not in acceptable shape. One must provide a photo ID and a valid social security card to claim lottery winnings over $600 in the state of Michigan, according to the Michigan Lottery website.

ā€œHe couldnā€™t cash it because he didnā€™t have a social security card. It was like ā€“ it wasnā€™t any good, so he applied for a new one,ā€ owner of the Blue Water Inn Dawn Talaski told ABC 12.

Regulars and staff at Blue Water Inn became concerned after Jarvis did not show up to the bar after his last visit on September 19 when he was buying drinks for patrons.

ā€œSometimes heā€™s up north working, he wasnā€™t here all week and we thought, something is wrong,ā€ Talaski told ABC. Jarvisā€™s boss showed up at the bar on September 22 and informed patrons and staff that his employee had not shown up to work. His body was found on the private beach near his boat two days later on September 24.

Officers became concerned after discovering the winning ticket in Jarvisā€™s wallet. ā€œAt first, we were concerned about it but after the autopsy, and we interviewed people at the bar, he was well-liked around here, he was a nice guy, that took it off the table,ā€ Caseville Police Chief Kyle Romzek told ABC.

ā€œWe are thinking that he was tying up his boat, slipped and fell, hit his head, and thatā€™s where he ended up in the water, no foul play suspected,ā€ Romzek explained.

Jarvisā€™s obituary was published by Fischer Family Funeral Services and paints the picture of a hard-working American that cared deeply about his friends.

ā€œGreg was a hard working man that did many jobs throughout his life,ā€ the obituary reads. ā€œWhile working on a farm he hauled sugar beets and tended herds of cattle, and he attempted with success all types of construction projects.

ā€œWinter up north gave him the opportunity to make friends through helping winterize vacation homes and pull docks out of the water before cold weather,ā€ the obituary states. ā€œHe loved being counted on as he helped others. His many friends were like family to him.ā€

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a joke. How about his driver's license as valid ID? Sounds like they're looking for a reason not to pay out the prize.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a joke. How about his driver's license as valid ID? Sounds like they're looking for a reason not to pay out the prize.
State law, who knows what the card look like if it was paper. I have replaced mine several times.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jarvis was unable to claim his prize as his social security card was not in acceptable shape.
DigtoChina, he tried to claim the prize before he died, but his driver's license wasn't good enough. Seems really stupid to me.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Winning Lottery Ticket Found in Wallet of Dead Michigan Man Who Washed Up on Shore of Lake Huron​

Found in Wallet of Dead Michigan Man Who Washed Up on Shore of Lake Huron​

A Michigan man was found dead on a private beach in the Saginaw Bay area of Lake Huron with a winning lottery ticket in his wallet.

The body of 57-year-old Gregory Jarvis was found on a private beach on Friday, September 24, according to ABC 12. Authorities discovered a winning lottery ticket in his wallet and decided to investigate his death further.

Jarvis won a $45,000 jackpot playing the club keno add-on game ā€œThe Jack,ā€ at Blue Water Inn in Caseville, Michigan, on September 13, ABC 12 reported.

Jarvis was unable to claim his prize as his social security card was not in acceptable shape. One must provide a photo ID and a valid social security card to claim lottery winnings over $600 in the state of Michigan, according to the Michigan Lottery website.

ā€œHe couldnā€™t cash it because he didnā€™t have a social security card. It was like ā€“ it wasnā€™t any good, so he applied for a new one,ā€ owner of the Blue Water Inn Dawn Talaski told ABC 12.

Regulars and staff at Blue Water Inn became concerned after Jarvis did not show up to the bar after his last visit on September 19 when he was buying drinks for patrons.

ā€œSometimes heā€™s up north working, he wasnā€™t here all week and we thought, something is wrong,ā€ Talaski told ABC. Jarvisā€™s boss showed up at the bar on September 22 and informed patrons and staff that his employee had not shown up to work. His body was found on the private beach near his boat two days later on September 24.

Officers became concerned after discovering the winning ticket in Jarvisā€™s wallet. ā€œAt first, we were concerned about it but after the autopsy, and we interviewed people at the bar, he was well-liked around here, he was a nice guy, that took it off the table,ā€ Caseville Police Chief Kyle Romzek told ABC.

ā€œWe are thinking that he was tying up his boat, slipped and fell, hit his head, and thatā€™s where he ended up in the water, no foul play suspected,ā€ Romzek explained.

Jarvisā€™s obituary was published by Fischer Family Funeral Services and paints the picture of a hard-working American that cared deeply about his friends.

ā€œGreg was a hard working man that did many jobs throughout his life,ā€ the obituary reads. ā€œWhile working on a farm he hauled sugar beets and tended herds of cattle, and he attempted with success all types of construction projects.

ā€œWinter up north gave him the opportunity to make friends through helping winterize vacation homes and pull docks out of the water before cold weather,ā€ the obituary states. ā€œHe loved being counted on as he helped others. His many friends were like family to him.ā€

Very interesting mystery developing and I hope next of kin will be able to collect

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A third of my life was living in Michigan - whole lot of work up there for a Southern Boy :)

Oooooo yeah, got cold up there - not so much down here in the mountains of Virginia now - it's later October here and I could walk outside in my skivvies right now :)

I pray the man's family can collect the winnings - the State of Michigan don't need no more money from the public citizens .......

It certainly wouldn't go to the roads.......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor guy. He never got to enjoy it.

The Michigan Lottery Commission stipulates that claims for wins above $600 and below $100,000 require:

Original winning ticket (signed on back)
Original Photo ID (must be an unexpired, valid, government-issued photo ID)
Original Social Security Card (must match name on photo ID)
Completed Ticket Receipt Form

The family now have the ticket and, since he had already made an attempt to claim, he had presumably signed the ticket and completed the form. There shouldnā€™t be any difficulty re-submitting the claim once his replacement Social Security Card arrives, even though heā€™s now dead.

However, the rules say that the prize money will be directly deposited into his Michigan Lottery account and that will now have become part of his estate, subject to applicable laws relating to the execution of his will (if he made one) or other inheritance conditions.

Iā€™m struggling a bit with ā€˜estateā€™ issues since my mother has just died and all of her accounts have been frozen. Both I and my brother had Power of Attorney over her finances but that authority was cancelled by her death and the inheritance conditions in her will then take over. Thatā€™s not a problem, but we can do nothing until the will clears Probate, which could take six to eight weeks.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, so sorry for your loss. Probate court can be very frustrating. When my father died, I had to appear three times before they finally let me access his accounts. My father didn't leave a will, so the courts had to be sure there were no other heirs who had a claim to the money. Very tough to deal with the legalities of it all when you're still grieving over the loss of a loved one. Take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread