Woman finds treasure chest full of coins on Norfolk beach

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THINGS TO DO
BUSINESSPROPERTYLIFESTYLESUBSCRIBE
Eastern Daily Press > News

Woman finds treasure chest full of coins on Norfolk beach​

Author Picture Icon
Owen Sennitt

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwic...-norfolk-beach-8780152#article-comments-coral
Published: 4:34 PM March 25, 2022

Updated: 6:58 PM March 29, 2022
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with the treasure chest, and its contents, that she found on a No

Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with the treasure chest, and its contents, that she found on a North Norfolk beach. Picture: Lauren De Boise - Credit: Lauren De Boise
Beach cleans usually turn up bags full of rubbish but for one Norfolk woman it turned up a haul a pirate would be proud of.
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Norwich, travelled to north Norfolk to take part in a beach clean on Sunday, March 20, when she made the unlikely discovery.
A treasure chest and its contents which were found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. Pi

A treasure chest and its contents which were found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
While searching for litter between Cart Gap and Happisburgh, Mrs Fitzgerald spotted something hiding behind a mound of sand which turned out to be a chest full of old coins and other trinkets.
Mrs Fitzgerald, 38, said: "I've never found anything like this on a beach before. Normally I'm looking for sea glass and shells so it was incredible to find something like this.
A ring which was part of the contents of a treasure chest found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie F

A ring which was part of the contents of a treasure chest found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
"I found the chest at the bottom of the cliffs behind a raised bank. It was covered in sand but is in fairly good condition considering how old it is."

Mrs Fitzgerald, who works as a medical secretary at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, had to carry the heavy chest two miles back to Sea Palling where her family was waiting.
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with the treasure chest, and its contents, that she found on a No

Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with the treasure chest, and its contents, that she found on a North Norfolk beach. Picture: Lauren De Boise - Credit: Lauren De Boise
Upon returning home, Mrs Fitzgerald, along with her two children, began carefully cleaning the sand away from the chest with toothbrushes.

"The chest was locked shut but the bottom had started to fall off so we were able to take out its contents carefully.
"We found about 100 coins, mostly Victorian and some dated to George III's reign but there were also others that looked to be medieval and Roman.
Some of the contents of a treasure chest that Jennie Fitzgerald found on a North Norfolk beach. Pict

Some of the contents of a treasure chest that Jennie Fitzgerald found on a North Norfolk beach. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
"My kids think they are going to be rich."

As well as the coins, the chest also held a collection of gems, a rusted pocket watch, an old perfume bottle, a signet ring and a silver matchstick holder that had been engraved with the name 'Ernest'.
Aside from the engraving Mrs Fitzgerald said there wasn't any other traceable evidence inside.
She is currently awaiting a response from experts who will hopefully be able to provide more detail about the finds.
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with some of the contents of a treasure chest that she found on a

Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with some of the contents of a treasure chest that she found on a North Norfolk beach. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
A treasure chest and its contents which were found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. Pi

A treasure chest and its contents which were found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
Norwich woman finds chest full of coins on Happisburgh beach

A rusted key found inside a chest discovered on a beach in north Norfolk - Credit: Jennie Fitzgerald
Norwich woman finds chest full of coins Happisburgh north Norfolk

A broach found inside a chest discovered between Cart Gap and Happisburgh beach - Credit: Jennie Fitzgerald
Some of the contents of a treasure chest that Jennie Fitzgerald found on a North Norfolk beach. Pict

Some of the contents of a treasure chest that Jennie Fitzgerald found on a North Norfolk beach. - Credit: Lauren De Boise

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just need to expand your treasure hunting hobby, to beach cleaner-upper person.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet the "detectorists" walked over it many times, thinking it must be junk. :coffee2:
Of course they did... all that metal rejection caused most to walk on thinking it was trash or iron.

That large iron lock presided over any other possible signal.

I have been telling / saying this for years here to those who avoid iron... this would be a prime example of what YOU WONT find. heh

NOW... imagine a REAL chest... which would be ALL iron in most cases.

And that chest would be loaded with real treasure... as in Silver and gold treasure... heh... which would be completely lost in that iron mask.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never for the life of me understood the want to avoid iron...

I mean i get it... nails scrap etc... yep its all evrywhere... but so would be so many other REALLY great things that involve iron... like a cannon ball... a whole damn cannon for that matter... or like aforementioned...

A chest.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean if you had valuables that you were gonna bury... and this is in the day PRE plastics,,,

Would you choose a wood box ?... or metal box ?

I rest my case.

How about all the metal lidded cans and jars... which we all know historically being made using IRON.... and DEFINATELY used by EVERYONE to bury coins... heh

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean if you had valuables that you were gonna bury... and this is in the day PRE plastics,,,

Would you choose a wood box ?... or metal box ?

I rest my case.

How about all the metal lidded cans and jars... which we all know historically being made using IRON. heh
In reading a lot of older posts in order to learn all I can,I,ve run across several in which an individual essentially "cleaned"all the iron by digging it all.Some great finds were then detected once the iron had been removed.This took some time,but was worth it in the long run.HEH?

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THINGS TO DOBUSINESSPROPERTYLIFESTYLESUBSCRIBE

Author Picture Icon
Owen Sennitt
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwic...-norfolk-beach-8780152#article-comments-coral

View attachment 2018092
Beach cleans usually turn up bags full of rubbish but for one Norfolk woman it turned up a haul a pirate would be proud of.
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Norwich, travelled to north Norfolk to take part in a beach clean on Sunday, March 20, when she made the unlikely discovery.
View attachment 2018093
While searching for litter between Cart Gap and Happisburgh, Mrs Fitzgerald spotted something hiding behind a mound of sand which turned out to be a chest full of old coins and other trinkets.
Mrs Fitzgerald, 38, said: "I've never found anything like this on a beach before. Normally I'm looking for sea glass and shells so it was incredible to find something like this.
View attachment 2018100
A ring which was part of the contents of a treasure chest found on a North Norfolk beach by Jennie Fitzgerald. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
"I found the chest at the bottom of the cliffs behind a raised bank. It was covered in sand but is in fairly good condition considering how old it is."

Mrs Fitzgerald, who works as a medical secretary at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, had to carry the heavy chest two miles back to Sea Palling where her family was waiting.
View attachment 2018094
Upon returning home, Mrs Fitzgerald, along with her two children, began carefully cleaning the sand away from the chest with toothbrushes.

"The chest was locked shut but the bottom had started to fall off so we were able to take out its contents carefully.
"We found about 100 coins, mostly Victorian and some dated to George III's reign but there were also others that looked to be medieval and Roman.
View attachment 2018097

As well as the coins, the chest also held a collection of gems, a rusted pocket watch, an old perfume bottle, a signet ring and a silver matchstick holder that had been engraved with the name 'Ernest'.
Aside from the engraving Mrs Fitzgerald said there wasn't any other traceable evidence inside.
She is currently awaiting a response from experts who will hopefully be able to provide more detail about the finds.
View attachment 2018098
Jennie Fitzgerald, from Sprowston, with some of the contents of a treasure chest that she found on a North Norfolk beach. - Credit: Lauren De Boise
View attachment 2018096
View attachment 2018095
A rusted key found inside a chest discovered on a beach in north Norfolk - Credit: Jennie Fitzgerald
View attachment 2018091
A broach found inside a chest discovered between Cart Gap and Happisburgh beach - Credit: Jennie Fitzgerald
View attachment 2018099

it s ernest money

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach below cliff, Captain Kidd is said to have done that also.

"I found the chest at the bottom of the cliffs behind a raised bank. It was covered in sand but is in fairly good

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Author Picture Icon
Owen Sennitt

View attachment 2018092
View attachment 2018093
View attachment 2018100

View attachment 2018094

View attachment 2018097

View attachment 2018098
View attachment 2018096
View attachment 2018095
View attachment 2018091
View attachment 2018099

What a find. By a beachcomber no less. Well good for her!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Author Picture Icon
Owen Sennitt

View attachment 2018092
View attachment 2018093
View attachment 2018100

View attachment 2018094

View attachment 2018097

View attachment 2018098
View attachment 2018096
View attachment 2018095
View attachment 2018091
View attachment 2018099

Thanks for the post!
I hate to be the only one to not believe this, CLASSIC treasure find, but I want more proof, like a pic of the chest or one of the “contents” would help me ease intro the reality of it all!
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post!
I hate to be the only one to not believe this, CLASSIC treasure find, but I want more proof, like a pic of the chest or one of the “contents” would help me ease intro the reality of it all!
Thanks again!
The article has pictures.

1657980655644.png

1657980685820.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread