WooOOooW! This made me laugh my butt off.....

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Halfway through a box of halves, I see a suspiciously familiar marked coin pretending to be Silver. I know it right away that it looks suspiciously familiar and that it isn’t Silver and pop it out anyway. “NOT SILVER LOL!” It says in sharpie on both sides. For a second I was a bit annoyed but then studied the handwriting and realized much to my chagrin..... it was one of my own markings. I was literally laughing out loud. A few rolls later..... I was sound checking and saw 3 of my own coins...... all emblazoned with my monogram and handle.

The box was a skunk, but it was comforting that I got some of my own markings. Here’s a pic.....

I have a rich history of marking, but this was a first.

A346D878-D9E7-4AB4-934F-2FC251F32C74.jpeg

CC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC , please enlighten me - what possible benefit could there be from marking coins ? Do not think that I haven't given thought to this subject - You either do or don't find some quantity of coins you wish to save ( silvers , nifc's, proofs , etc.) What possible reason (behavior that is reasonable ) can you offer for putting pen marking on coins ?? Have no fear I'm not unfairly picking on you coin markers , I have equal disdain for all of you who save non silver "nifc's " the mintages are in the millions , and the coins are an eyesore ! If you think I'm wrong , bring any non silver "nifc" into a coin shop, and see how eager they are to purchase it from you for even one cent over face value .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coincrazed

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
CC , please enlighten me - what possible benefit could there be from marking coins ? Do not think that I haven't given thought to this subject - You either do or don't find some quantity of coins you wish to save ( silvers , nifc's, proofs , etc.) What possible reason (behavior that is reasonable ) can you offer for putting pen marking on coins ?? Have no fear I'm not unfairly picking on you coin markers , I have equal disdain for all of you who save non silver "nifc's " the mintages are in the millions , and the coins are an eyesore ! If you think I'm wrong , bring any non silver "nifc" into a coin shop, and see how eager they are to purchase it from you for even one cent over face value .
Hey Argentium- it is a territorial/psychological thing with me more than anything. It’s kind of a “this is my hunting area, keep out, or you will be constantly reminded of my presence!” It’s a psychological thing more than anything. Plus the satisfaction of knowing the people out there marking on their own are getting your marked coins and reminded of your name. My handle Coincrazed is fairly unique. I’ve used it for nearly a decade starting in 2009 when I joined here. And I agree with what you said about NIFC 100%. In fact, I target and save out all the NIFC and mark those first. Again, psychological. I also think it would be funny if a damned Youtuber doing videos and live streams found one on camera and is like “who tf is this Coincrazed mofo anyway? grrrr!!”

Last edited:

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Argentium- it is a territorial/psychological thing with me more than anything. It’s kind of a “this is my hunting area, keep out, or you will be constantly reminded of my presence!” It’s a psychological thing more than anything. Plus the satisfaction of knowing the people out there marking on their own are getting your marked coins and reminded of your name. My handle Coincrazed is fairly unique. I’ve used it for nearly a decade starting in 2009 when I joined here. And I agree with what you said about NIFC 100%. In fact, I target and save out all the NIFC and mark those first. Again, psychological. I also think it would be funny if a damned Youtuber doing videos and live streams found one on camera and is like “who tf is this Coincrazed mofo anyway? grrrr!!”

Or they just throw them into their dump bags and never even think twice about you.

But it could be what you said too. :rolleyes:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are dreaming if you think your psychological warfare has any effect on anybody. Your just wasting your time. What do you think somebody is going to do, see a marked coins and just say, oh man somebody marked this coin, I better just stop CRH and dump these silver halves back at the bank.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done very little searching rolls, always found nothing the times I jumped in.

I kinda like the OP's strategy.

It is amazing (maybe) that his searches came back to him. That may mean the "highway" of coin rolls keep coming back.

There's always turds in our paths!!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"what possible benefit could there be from marking coins ?" fun or boredom?. "bring any non silver "nifc" into a coin shop, and see how eager they are to purchase it from you for even one cent over face value". Pour some drops of MEK down the coin & watch the sharpie ink wash away. Is it REALLY that big of a deal? Don't know you, but WOW! sounds like someone woke up to an empty coffee cup!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hay guys, can we dispense with all the negative comments and get back to the hobby of CRH and coin collecting. If you both can't take it either way, then don't make us part of the problem. The MODS will be checking in shortly and then you all will be banned from posting anything. Keep it a clean hobby please. I enjoy this hobby, searching, and the thrill of the HUNT, finds or NO FINDS.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . Advertising the hobby decreases the finds for others, marking does not . . .

Marking coins en masse is a potential danger to the hobby. It advertises to (actually, rubs into the face of) the banks and coin processors that they are bearing material, labor, and transportation costs of these coins for an outright frivolous purpose.

Of course they know it already, but it cannot be helpful to regularly remind them that they are spinning their wheels for nothing but our enjoyment - with no chance of a return from their efforts/expense. Right now, there might not be anything that they can do about it. But, policies change. We shouldn't arm them with additional evidence of the scale of the CRH blight on their P&L.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincrazed, please end the insults and attacks, this is not your thread, once you hit enter it becomes TreasureNet's thread and anyone can post on it as long as it is done by the rules, the only person who can tell members to not post on a thread are mods or admins.

Only rules that matter here is TreasureNet rules, please post by our rules.

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincrazed, please end the insults and attacks, this is not your thread, once you hit enter it becomes TreasureNet's thread and anyone can post on it as long as it is done by the rules, the only person who can tell members to not post on a thread are mods or admins.

Only rules that matter here is TreasureNet rules, please post by our rules.

Ahh. This sure brings back memories. LOL!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find plenty of silver alongside the marked coins - in the same boxes very often. I just keep plugging along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread