Word icon not showing up next to .doc and .docx files?

Patrick37

Feb 24, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I recently bought a new computer running Windows 8. I installed my own copy of Office 2010 on this computer and started to transfer my files from my old machine to the new one. When I got the files onto my new computer, first of all, Windows didn't know what programs to use to open each file, even though Office was already installed, and the file extensions were visible. I had to navigate through my "Programs" folder to find the appropriate programs for each type of file (and I'm not sure why I had to do this at all, but that's not my main question). So anyway, after I got all the programs reset, I noticed that although the other Office program files (.pdf, .xls, .xlsx., .ppt, and .pptx) retained the icons for their appropriate program in the Documents folder, Word files (.doc and .docx) did not. The icon is a plain, blank page icon. The files still open properly in Word, but the icon is missing in the Documents folder.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found in the Microsoft Community...

Lost File Association
(solution applies to Microsoft 365 and Office / Word / Windows 8 / Office 365 Home)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread