Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! We found this old piece of glass near an old spring that has a history of Native Americans. It looks worked? Is that a thing? The glass itself looks very old, thick with bubbles. It looks black but you can see it is olive green held up in the sun. Can't think of another reason for these marks. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input! 20210801_071043.jpg
20210801_070500.jpg
20210801_071116.jpg
20210801_071226.jpg 20210801_071018.jpg

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a typical black glass shard that I find on a few old sites of mine. Depending on what instrument broke it, sometimes the break appears worked. At my site, they were shot with roundballs as target practice and i get all sorts of break or shatter marks like this one. Natives did however use glass shards as worked tools, but i dont see that in yours.

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a typical black glass shard that I find on a few old sites of mine. Depending on what instrument broke it, sometimes the break appears worked. At my site, they were shot with roundballs as target practice and i get all sorts of break or shatter marks like this one. Natives did however use glass shards as worked tools, but i dont see that in yours.

Thank you! That groove on the bottom right pic has us stumped because the glass on either side is not really damaged and cannot figure what would follow the curve of the glass around like that. Looks like a rope burn? There was a lot of shooting in that area as well. I didn't know the balls could leave marks like that! Thanks!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
First pic right side does look like a tiny bit of intentional chipping....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Villagenut is correct. Glass has a conchoidal fracture, which is obvious in your piece.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php
any flake of glass has conchoidal fracturing. But some are made by Man. All the pics of your piece look like "natural" fractures except for that small area which to me looks intentional when the rest looks all random.

Attachments

• ML3.jpg
    ML3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
couldn't have said it better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread