Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gary, I did join the forum a long time ago but I took hiatus as well due to life and so forth. This is definitely the best treasure forum on the internet. I'm not giving up on this effort here, I should have more information soon, but that depends on someone else. Give me a few days, it will either be a yes or a no to posting 1 picture of the contents.

Cheers,

Prime

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime you seem to really have an Affinity for this particular book. 10 Years ago you were equally excited about it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-leads/45458-u-s-treasure-atlas-thomas-p-terry-others.html

B0F189F1-7CC7-458B-B13E-A4A31DA4982F.jpeg

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Eyyy. Yeah, I find it invaluable in researching new spots to dig or further research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm adding in pictures of a sample of the contents. As you can see the stories are divided by world regions, and then further by countries. In the case of Canada they are further broken down into provinces. They are listed in numbered format, so everything is neatly organized and to the point.

Attachments

• book22.jpg
    book22.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 62
  • book11.jpg
    book11.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember when these books were around and way cheaper in the early 80's. I guess I should have bought some as a investment. I am number 95, joined in 2003. I am also 74 YO so it figures.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still trying to find out more information, but the search has now narrowed quite considerably. The claim made by 1 poster here that the book was common and is somehow still common today, is misleading.

Last edited:

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm still trying to find out more information, but the search has now narrowed quite considerably. The claim made by 1 poster here that the book was common and is somehow still common today, is misleading.

I had that book! Gosh, I clicked on this thread out of shear curiosity and, well, I'm now very interested. Back in 2006-08, I attended Macomb Community College and Oakland University in SE Michigan. I was just getting serious about metal detecting and during one of my visits to the library, I checked out that book. I wrote an email to record a half dozen notes about treasure sites and noted the purple cover so I could easily find it again. I returned it, graduated....moved to Florida and never followed up. Today, I can't recall which schools library i was at, but I did use the web login to search both libraries online database. Neither yielded any matching results. Weird....but if it is as rare as you believe, someone probably thought it was worth the overdue fine and kept it. lol. Meanwhile, y'all might want to start searching other libraries.....never know what you might find!

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, the book is possible to find in a few dozen libraries in the US. Outside of that you're out of luck, as there are 4 copies in Canada, 1 in all of Europe, 1 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand.

You won't find it online however as that would violate the copyright. I base the rarity of the book on the fact it took me a decade to get a copy. Most owners are in their late 50's or 70's as they acquired it when it was originally published in 1978. They sure as hell won't sell theirs. There is not much use asking rare book shops about it either, as they likely have not heard of it. Treasure is something people typically don't discuss seriously, which works to our advantage in some ways, and disadvantage in others...like trying to sell the book with few people knowing it even exists.

Last edited:

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Demand, much more than rarity, really demands price. I own dozens of books that are exceedingly scarce that I'd be hard-pressed to get much money, if any, for. And a 40 year old book of treasure hunting history in an information age that thrives on new information just doesn't seem like something that would appeal to a lot of people. If you want to determine the book's true worth, throw it up for auction and, as they say, let the buyers decide.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm selling the book for what I think it's worth, my urgency to sell has passed so the price is staying as is. Letting buyers who know nothing about the book decide the price is silly. I know that the idea of buried treasure existing in the real world, outside of movies and iphones and video games seems ridiculous to the every day person, but the fact remains that it's there waiting for someone to find it.

The number of people interested in the hobby is probably slowly dwindling at best, they're more interested in the yearly consumer market treadmill of what new thing to buy this year that is marginally better than the one they got last year with a higher price tag.

Treasure, unlike this crap I just mentioned, doesn't change or lose its appeal. It sits there, for hundreds or thousands of years, still as valuable as the day it was buried, making its way into our stories and fantasies in forgotten books, or more commonly told on the big screen. It is the stuff of dreams, above the passing fancy of today's technology. It is not cheap, not to be thrown away and replaced like an overpriced electronic device. To me it means something, and if someone doesn't get that then they are not the kind of person I would deal with in this context.

If the atlas really was not valuable, then you'd be finding multiple copies for sale online at any given time. I treasure it, and I don't need 100 people to see it the same way as I do, 1 is enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've contacted the copyright owners and after they conducted their search of notes and other things related to the book, they were unable to determine how many copies were printed. The same goes for the hardbound edition. It's oddly fitting that a book on treasure has its own mysteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread