Worst dove hunt I’ve ever had!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opening day for dove here in Va. Unfortunately our sunnies have not died enough to begin dropping seed. On the other hand, found this guy. White quartz. Not 100% sure on the type, but maybe a Savannah River?

C1F65098-2CFA-4233-9A14-4B9BAE3F7F42.jpeg

Savannah River Projectile Point

FA3C6EFA-51BE-4922-8F88-7E255DF2FB98.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 8 in my driveway this am. I don't hunt! Except at the grocery store!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older The Better - I needed that. We take ourselves way too seriously sometimes.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to have been there Dove hunting and eyeballing the ground with you! Your find has the look of a Savannah River and you're dead smack in the middle of it's zone. Thanks and congrats.

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have been there Dove hunting and eyeballing the ground with you! Your find has the look of a Savannah River and you're dead smack in the middle of it's zone. Thanks and congrats.

Ha! Initially I was trying NOT to look at the ground since doves tend to fly when I’m not paying attention, but I couldn’t resist.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrived 20 minutes before first light and by 830 only had three in the bag. This year was definitely a dove "Hunt" Went out at 4 PM for the evening and barely limited. Very interesting year. The no limit Eurasians seemed even more prolific and I had 10 of them yesterday. We made Jalapeño dove poppers and BBQd a tasty meal Then off to a sound sleep from the day in the heat. It was a buck 20 in Calexico

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrived 20 minutes before first light and by 830 only had three in the bag. This year was definitely a dove "Hunt" Went out at 4 PM for the evening and barely limited. Very interesting year. The no limit Eurasians seemed even more prolific and I had 10 of them yesterday. We made Jalapeño dove poppers and BBQd a tasty meal Then off to a sound sleep from the day in the heat. It was a buck 20 in Calexico

What’s your limit out there trdking? It’s 15 here

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice Savannah River. Looks like it's all there, the roughness just being from the coarseness of the material. The smaller quartz ones tend to be from later in the Late Archaic, transitioning into Early Woodland. Earlier on they seemed mostly obsessed with making big ones which meant they had to use quartzite.

It's a long season. In a week or two there will be so many doves on that field you could about just scoop them out of the air with a garden rake. (From my lips to God's ears!)

Personally I don't hunt doves. Part of it is, I grew up in Michigan, which has always been steadfast about not allowing it. More of it is, even with lots of practice, I'm just not a good shot. Below average talent for it. I will be out next weekend though, trying to knock a few squirrels out of the tops of the hickory trees.

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice Savannah River. Looks like it's all there, the roughness just being from the coarseness of the material. The smaller quartz ones tend to be from later in the Late Archaic, transitioning into Early Woodland. Earlier on they seemed mostly obsessed with making big ones which meant they had to use quartzite.

It's a long season. In a week or two there will be so many doves on that field you could about just scoop them out of the air with a garden rake. (From my lips to God's ears!)

Personally I don't hunt doves. Part of it is, I grew up in Michigan, which has always been steadfast about not allowing it. More of it is, even with lots of practice, I'm just not a good shot. Below average talent for it. I will be out next weekend though, trying to knock a few squirrels out of the tops of the hickory trees.

Cool--thanks for the info Keith! Good luck squirrel hunting next weekend! My brothers were squirrel hunting last year and when they came back up to the house to clean their quarry, they noticed one squirrel was missing and couldn't find it after a quick search. About a week later a smell begins to permeate the coat closet, so mom becomes fixed on finding the source of said smell. After feeling a soft lump in the game pocket of a hunting vest, she reaches in and pulls out the squirrel that was MIA. Gross.

And as for not being a good wing-shooter--shooting doves IS difficult! If someone tells you otherwise, they are lying; even Nash Buckingham admitted to being made a fool while dove hunting.

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And I forgot to ask—what do you like to use when you hunt squirrel?

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I forgot to ask—what do you like to use when you hunt squirrel?

I flop back and forth between a Ruger 10-22 and my trusty old H&R single shot 12 gauge. I wish I was better with the 22 but even with a scope and plenty of practice I basically suck.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s your limit out there trdking? It’s 15 here
15 with up to 10 Whitewing as part of your bag. No limits on Ring neck turtledoves or ring neck Eurasians Which I prefer as they are bigger and tastier

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flop back and forth between a Ruger 10-22 and my trusty old H&R single shot 12 gauge. I wish I was better with the 22 but even with a scope and plenty of practice I basically suck.

The 12 gets it done for sure but I use a match modified Ruger 10 22 with a weighted barrel. The scope is so dialed in you can pick off a squirrel or a ground hog at 150 Yards. Swear to God almighty. Such great shooter. and you don't chomp down on lead when your eatin

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith, Maybe try investing in a better scope? If you buy a cheap scope you will never get a decent shot with it. Dial it in and shoot it once and it is off. With a good scope you will be a dead eye dick That 10 22 is a mighty straight shooter

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!! Dove fields are crap around here as well, didn't even go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread