Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was one of my first finds in Civil War camp site. But also did find civilian items there also flower buttons. I know it is brass and is painted enamel. and trying to find out the symbol in the middle of it. At first i thought maybe native American or from Turkey, I did not know if someone could help me ID it. to me looks like a native american bird or road runner, it does have crescent moon with dot in middle of it. and also bracelet, necklace, Chocker. Thanks for helping. i have it by it self, with penny front of it and rev on last picture
pendant 1.jpg
pendant 2.jpg
pendant 3 rev.jpg

OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in Wilson County, NC, i just cant tell if bird symbol or what and the crescent moon throws me to think India, Turkey, i just dont know

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It won't be Civil War related, that's for sure. The star and crescent supports it relating to the Islamic world and the other part of the design appears to be a 'tughra', but it would need to be this way up:

Tughra.jpg

The tughra I have shown is just an example. Originally these were used as the monograms of the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire but they're notoriously difficult to read in terms of which Sultan and therefore what time period. Each part of the tughra has a specific calligraphic meaning and there are countless variations. Even after the Ottoman Empire dissolved in 1922, these monograms continued to be used as general decorative emblems and, more recently still, calligraphy artists created them for use by individuals in representation of their own names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tughra

Upvote 1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Kokopelli at first but, after editing the photos a little I am not sure. There are images of Kokopelli and the moon on the internet so it may be possible but the enameled patterns on the ends don't seem right for Koko. I think this is how it should be oriented.

Attachments

• pendant 3 rev.jpg
    pendant 3 rev.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 50
  • pendant 1.jpg
    pendant 1.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star and crescent was the emblem of the Ottoman national flag from 1844 to 1923 (and is still used by several Muslim countries). Tughra calligraphy continued to be used long after that. Here’s a combination of Tughra with star and crescent from a Pakistani coin (they used this symbolism between 1947-1974) but it’s not confined to Pakistan.

Pakistan.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, thank you for the information, I would have never known... I have holding it wrong all these years. That gives me more information so I can investigate... you never know what you going to dig, til you get it out of the ground.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star and crescent was the emblem of the Ottoman national flag from 1844 to 1923 (and is still used by several Muslim countries). Tughra calligraphy continued to be used long after that. Here’s a combination of Tughra with star and crescent from a Pakistani coin (they used this symbolism between 1947-1974) but it’s not confined to Pakistan.

View attachment 1921532

I was typing my reply when you posted yours. I bow to your knowledge on the subject.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It won't be Civil War related, that's for sure. The star and crescent supports it relating to the Islamic world and the other part of the design appears to be a 'tughra', but it would need to be this way up:

View attachment 1921518

The tughra I have shown is just an example. Originally these were used as the monograms of the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire but they're notoriously difficult to read in terms of which Sultan and therefore what time period. Each part of the tughra has a specific calligraphic meaning and there are countless variations. Even after the Ottoman Empire dissolved in 1922, these monograms continued to be used as general decorative emblems and, more recently still, calligraphy artists created them for use by individuals in representation of their own names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tughra

Thank you so much for your insight, I have been wondering about that symbol for years, i just could not tell if a bird, i did think turkish because of the crescent moon, Since researching on what you found, i thought painted enamel, but it is called Pietra Dura, the type of painting they did on it. Now just have to find out what it came off of AARC thinks might be Fob. Might be, bracelet, pendant, fob. Still pretty cool to know what the symbol is now. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1921532
Red Coat, going through some of saves. I forgot about this one. I found in same area. Just thought was a cool pennant or something. But has the same Tughra surrounded by 12 stars and Letter P. It is about size of dime and very thin. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• D4981B3E-17AE-464D-8EA0-0160D4B35F09.jpeg
    D4981B3E-17AE-464D-8EA0-0160D4B35F09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 05D7B0CA-82D8-4D42-982B-53828CF97222.jpeg
    05D7B0CA-82D8-4D42-982B-53828CF97222.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • BF760B4F-6935-44A3-AE3A-1DD006FA8677.jpeg
    BF760B4F-6935-44A3-AE3A-1DD006FA8677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Upvote 0