Would you consider west Texas to be a desert environment?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming from the Ohio River Valley, um yes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends what part of Texas you're talking about. Panhandle is desert-ish in places, while the Gulf Coast isn't. Where are you?

OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted in another tread "in the desert in texas "and an individual that lived there their whole life told me Texas has no desert. Just wanted other opinions to see if I was experiencing something else. Thanks

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was desert when I was there about 40 years ago during the summer, but it's all about perception, and I'm from Appalachia. Do you think Appalachia is a jungle environment, ever been here in the summer?

OP
OP
B

Bkfinds

Apr 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there 8 times,no jungle but is known as a temperate rain forest even though it's not as large as the rain forests of the world

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider West Texas to be like Grandma's Wookie. Everyone knows its down there, but no one gives a ****!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Desert = Anything west of the Mississippi. 😂

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
West Texas is almost like a desert, except it isn't all sand kind of desert! But either way, you have a good bit of harsh environment there as well as dust storms!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was in San Antonio doing Basic Training, it sure looked and felt like desert back then. But, with Global warming and climate change, maybe its a tropical rain forest now!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Defined as a "semi arid desert". Not the Sahara which is a true desert.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Would you consider west Texas to be a desert environment?"
Yes.It gets hot around Pecos ,home of Judge Roy Bean.
And yes, a known desert in West Texas is the 'Chihuahuan Desert' .
But I've Mule deer hunted out around Sanderson and it is desert like.My opinion.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you have a patch of ground 6 feet or more, that is desert. try not to kill too much when your out there. Most of us are too young to remember the dust bowl.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I lived in the Great State of Texas in the mid 70's. When I got there I was told anything West of Ft. Worth was West Texas. When I got to Ft. Worth, they said "Anything West of Ft. Worth was West Texas." I lived 25 miles from the EXACT Geographical Center of Texas. Deep in the Heart of. Where everyone was "afixin" to do things. Ah pass me a Pearl.
The only trees grew along the water courses, except Mesquite trees. While there, they recorded 1 % Humidity with warnings about driving across pastures as the catalitic converters were setting anything that had been green on fire. I don't know just how dry it has to be to be considered desert, but if while sitting in a bar of the Holiday Inn in Central Texas someone comes in and yells "It's raining!" and the bar empty's, don't be surprised when you go outside and see you wouldn't fill a shot glass with the amount of rain in the parking lot. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions