Would You ( Equinox 800) ?

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

I currently have an older Spectra V3 (not "i" and my workhorse) and a Excal II (for beach, and where-ever). Both bought new a ways back. I consider them both pretty
rock-solid and reliable. I use the Eclipse 950 coil on the V3 with wired Grey Ghost 'phones. Some areas I hunt are fairly steep razorback ridges with undergrowth so you
know that V3 & coil takes a beating sometimes.

But I admit I'm intrigued by some vids I'm seeing of the Equinox 800; It kinda reminds me of a 2020's version of the V3 or my use-to-have DFX. I like the wireless
headphones and I bet the programs are similar to the older White's ones. Any thoughts on this machine? Specifically - Ruggedness & reliability? Price point? Any issues with it?
Coil OK in shallow water streams? How does it do with filtering out trash? If you had my machines would you still think maybe a new Equinox and then E-Bay the V3:crybaby2: or what?
FWIW, the parks I hunt are incredibly trashy and I mostly dig only for strong signals (coins, CW bullets, modern cartridge shells, the occasional ring or what-ever.)

TIA,

Cathexis

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good overall machine, and like all machines you will dig the good and the bad. If you have steep slopes with roots and overgrowth the stock coil will catch them, so you may want to spend more $$$ for the smaller coil. Shallow streams ok. Do not submerge the head if at all possible. It is not an Excal II and (apparently) because the head flexes, water can get in there, lots of folks have had water egress problems, but it does have a 3 year warranty, so if you do want to submerge it you would just be with no machine for a bit while they service it (give you a new control box, no one "fixes" anything these days). And 3 years is 3 years. You don't get additional time if the head breaks at year 2 or such. You will also want to get an after market shaft. Another $100 more or less. The build quality is lacking.

I know lots of folks who take the coil cover off after every use to get dirt or sand out of it. I never bother doing that with any of mine.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11")
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an EQ800. I haven't put it through rough use, and have hunted trashy areas mostly. It can pick good things out of trash if they are there.
But you must remember it will be a noisy beast in such an environment. That is, if you want to find good thing it will be important to use the "horse shoe" mode to hear everything when you are guessing on a target.
As with anything today there are pros and cons. Below is a short list of them I've observed.
PROS
rechargeable batteries
firmware upgrades
simultaneous multi-frequency
Minelab will do warranty work without much fuss if needed

Cons
Multiple reports of water leaking into unit. Well known to happen (this is bad because it is supposedly good to 10 ft down in water)
Reports of sudden control pod problems which required replacement under warranty
Known issues with rod wobble and broken coil ears.

I notice you mentioned the V3. I'm not familiar with that model and how it differs from the V3i version but the V3i had so many settings it is a tweaker's dream. The Equinox 800 will never equal that level of possibility when it comes to settings. There are settings but not to that extent. The Target ID has been a bane to some on the Equinox series. A lot of people feel the numbers are too close, count me in on that to a certain extent.
The stock wireless headphones in my opinion lack character and the audio is "weak" and "flat". I use the wireless module that comes with the EQ800 and a set of Gray Ghost wired headphones to remedy that problem.
I don't feel like the coil cover is all that great, and can be annoying as it holds in every little speck of dirt or dry grass. Must be careful with it while removing for cleaning.
Mine has never been submerged nor do I plan to submerge it. The coil seems well capable of being submerged but for me, mine will never be immersed past the lower rod.
A screen protector is also recommended for the display.

The equinox 800 has found me a lot of coins. The only other detector that has done better is a Teknetics T2 with a Cors shrew coil.
I feel the Equinox 800 will go deeper than the V3.
A couple years ago the Equinox 800 was a little cheaper to buy than it is now. At the price it is now, not quite as appealing as it once was at least for me.
I'm pleased with the 800, and had an EQX600. The 800 is the only way to go. For me it was a lot better.

Will not answer the question about ebaying the V3. I'm sure you know that one like the back of your hand. It's hard to get that kind of bond and takes time. The question for you is, how much would you miss it if sold? Advice on the 800, don't buy it at full retail. Talk to a dealer about it. Do not pay full retail. There are deals to be had on NEW units.. Yeah, it's good but it isn't worth $950 not counting tax and shipping. Get one, but find a good dealer that will give you a deal.

Greetings!

I currently have an older Spectra V3 (not "i" and my workhorse) and a Excal II (for beach, and where-ever). Both bought new a ways back. I consider them both pretty
rock-solid and reliable. I use the Eclipse 950 coil on the V3 with wired Grey Ghost 'phones. Some areas I hunt are fairly steep razorback ridges with undergrowth so you
know that V3 & coil takes a beating sometimes.

But I admit I'm intrigued by some vids I'm seeing of the Equinox 800; It kinda reminds me of a 2020's version of the V3 or my use-to-have DFX. I like the wireless
headphones and I bet the programs are similar to the older White's ones. Any thoughts on this machine? Specifically - Ruggedness & reliability? Price point? Any issues with it?
Coil OK in shallow water streams? How does it do with filtering out trash? If you had my machines would you still think maybe a new Equinox and then E-Bay the V3:crybaby2: or what?
FWIW, the parks I hunt are incredibly trashy and I mostly dig only for strong signals (coins, CW bullets, modern cartridge shells, the occasional ring or what-ever.)

TIA,

Cathexis

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine. No problems, and its an excellent detector in my opinion.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the fast & helpful replies. I will keep an eye out for deals.

Cathexis

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get one, a lot of my friends use Steve's detector rods, for the aftermarket shaft and really like them.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, bought my in March 2018 and got it in one week. Big fan of the 800 but...

You got a good chance of getting one that will leak. But buy a new one and it will be fixed under 3 year warranty.
You will get one with a wobbly shaft.
The electronics and software are top drawer.
the warranty is very, very good for 3 years.

Buy a steve's detector rods carbon fiber shaft with the counter balance weight.
Maybe think about buying the coiltek 10 x 5 Nox coil. Lighter and pretty good.
Now you will have a better detector maybe still with the water problem.
buy 3 of clive clynick's books on the equinox 800 this will help you learn the machine quicker.
stay in the standard modes for maybe 30-50 hours.

Keep in mind it is not a specialized detector but sort of a very good jack of all trades detector. It will do all types of detecting, but there are other makes and models that specialize in a type of detecting like beach or relic that are better.
Just my opinion.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

If I could have a wish it would be: Best depth over mineralized soil in woody, hilly areas and tunes out the trash too! (Area was farm field up to maybe 70+ years ago but dating into Antebellum period (no structures though, parts were dumping grounds for metallic and construction trash, documented archaic Indian occupation and into historic times.) Oh! and by the way the scene of a documented CW running skirmish as Jonny Reb evacuated a camp against Union assault and some of it is public park but none of it is NPS or Nat'l Battlefield. I've found about 6 or 8 minies, some pristine. But that trash! Jeepers!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I were you I WOULD NOT sell my existing detectors until you had and used your 800 for at least a year.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 100% agree with pulltabfelix. Worst mistake I ever made was "assuming" one of my new machines was better than the old one. I resold the "new" machine at a loss and still have the old machine.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I now agree. I was shocked to see on E-bay the other day that not one V3i were for sale. A few used DFX's (had one I loved but sold it after I got the V3). So if I sell it the Equinox is not really at the same level, even if it is a good machine. I haven't hunted in a while and was feeling the itch. I was watching older You-Tube vids on the V3/V3i and saw some programming tips for hi-trash areas like adjusting offset and using Loctrac vs. Autotrac to stop it from constantly trying to rebalance over noisy ground. A lot more ideas I might not find on the Equinox 800. But mostly, if I bought an Equinox, then sold the V3, then wanted to change my mind and get another V3i it might not be possible. You get the idea <wink> Thank you gentlemen for your wise advice.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding Ebay. Have you received the notice to update your info? I did am will not. Which means I will never sell on Ebay again. They want you social security number so you can be taxed. I really don't want to pay my account a few hundred a year to sell stuff at a loss. I never had a business buying or selling "stuff". So...I am giving stuff away, like Goodwill, keeping it forever, or giving it to friends.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold in a while. Wonder if Craig's list does the same? E-bay and PayPal have been a pain for a long while. I went to some trouble to make sure my PayPal was linked to an account with ZERO connection to any of my money other than the $20 I used to open it. You give them the right to go into your bank account (or ANY other account you had with that bank, even if a joint one!) and recover monies even if it overdraft's you and bounces the mortgage. And if some dispute is later resolved in your favor, they will restore the monies but owe nothing for any fees or other financial damage it may have caused. Not much later, E-Bay made accepting PayPal mandatory if you were a seller. Back in the day, Ebay favored the Seller and vigorously urged sellers to list. But some lady CEO took over a while back and flipped it on its head. Now they only want you to buy. It gets harder and harder to sell for profit. The range is getting fenced-in pardner.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold in a while. Wonder if Craig's list does the same? E-bay and PayPal have been a pain for a long while. I went to some trouble to make sure my PayPal was linked to an account with ZERO connection to any of my money other than the $20 I used to open it. You give them the right to go into your bank account (or ANY other account you had with that bank, even if a joint one!) and recover monies even if it overdraft's you and bounces the mortgage. And if some dispute is later resolved in your favor, they will restore the monies but owe nothing for any fees or other financial damage it may have caused. Not much later, E-Bay made accepting PayPal mandatory if you were a seller. Back in the day, Ebay favored the Seller and vigorously urged sellers to list. But some lady CEO took over a while back and flipped it on its head. Now they only want you to buy. It gets harder and harder to sell for profit. The range is getting fenced-in pardner.

It's even worse that that now with eBay. They have switched from forcing sellers to work with PayPal to doing all of the money transfers "in house" like Amazon does - the customer pays eBay directly, eBay takes their commissions & shipping costs out, then the seller has the remainder deposited directly to a bank account - think it is twice/week. Also, any direct communication between seller & customer has to go through eBay - there is no practical way to have the customer "be your customer," all customers are eBay's customers. Been selling on eBay since 1998, we still sell about $3K/month with them, so we make all of the necessary adjustments to work with their system. But, we have our own website as well, and other online venues, so we aren't "stuck" with eBay.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All online platforms are doing it now. It's a new federal law. Hello Goodwill! I am not giving out my social number anymore.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All online platforms are doing it now. It's a new federal law. Hello Goodwill! I am not giving out my social number anymore.

Yes, better to get an EIN and a business bank account, if you're going to sell online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions