Would you pay $49K for a Calvary Saber SAID to be found at the Greasy Grass?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• custer saber.jpg
    custer saber.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 87

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if proven for sure --yep worth the price -- but would it be legal to own? how and where was it gathered?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's basically a hunk of metal.

The only thing that makes this hunk of metal different than another hunk of metal, is a story.

When selling a story for $49,000, it should be a really great story.

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
It could be authentic but if so most likely carried by an Indian since Custer's men turned theirs in before the campaign. It does seem like 1 of Custers officers may have kept his but unlikely a 1811 Prussian one. I'd pass, especially @ that price. However, if this actually sells I have a Indian knife made from the tip of a broke sword w/ a rawhide handle... ;)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't pay that much for a sword still in stonewall jackson's left hand

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across a really nice sword on a local sale website here locally. She claimed it was from her family that was in the civil war. It was way too nice to be old. So I asked if she had any proof of the owner or had an authenticity letter. She panicked and took it off the sales list. She only wanted $1000 for it.......

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure ,I might pay that...if it came with a healthy team of surviving horses from the battle.:tongue3:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be authentic but if so most likely carried by an Indian since Custer's men turned theirs in before the campaign. It does seem like 1 of Custers officers may have kept his but unlikely a 1811 Prussian one. I'd pass, especially @ that price. However, if this actually sells I have a Indian knife made from the tip of a broke sword w/ a rawhide handle... ;)

What Injunbro says is true, sabers were not carried at the Little Big Horn. As far as it being Prussian, I don't know that, but it sure looks like the 1812 saber. I doubt this sword has ever been close to the Little Big Horn, and if so, it would have been in the hands of an Indian warrior, so how is anyone going to prove that. Here are three pictures of American Cavalry sabers, the firs one is 1812, second is 1847 and the third is 1860. Except for the adoption of the Springfield rifle/carbine, and the Colt revolver, the Indian Wars army was still using Civil War stuff.
sword 1812.jpg
sword 1847.jpg
sword 1860.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went to the ebay link tamrock provided. Should have done that first. The guy tells a pretty good story about how the sword could have got to the Little Big Horn, but not good enough for me to part with any money. All hopeful thinking and no hard proof.

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say "no". I have a great time looking at artifacts and really love the history behind them along with the thoughts that I'm looking at something that has survived from another time, but to possess it for my own private hoard just isn't in my interest. Spending the kind of money being discussed here is just hard for me to understand, the price of a new car or down payment on a house to purchase a sward to be used for nothing and only has value if another person is willing to pay also. Sort of as silly as the rock star that bought his girlfriend a jewel encrusted gold adult massage toy for a quarter million dollars.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ain't no way unless I had 100% authentication in form of a letter from a reputable source such as military arms expert and dealer, antique dealer,etc. I know that some people in Franklin,Tennessee at the antique shop where my husband has a booth would gladly pay double for what a regular 3 ring minie ball would cost if he said it came from The Battle of Franklin. He buys his bullets in bulk at various places so he would never claim that they came from the BOF unless he dug them himself,it's just dishonest. I guess my point is no,unless it can be guaranteed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread