Wow! Impressive! The New Coiltek 10x5 coil for the Equinox

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Loving mine. Coiltek can't keep up with the demand, unfortunately.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to do a review.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one on order for months, got fed up and canceled the order. Went on ebay and purchased one from the UK. Got it in about 4 weeks. Perfect

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the size. I also noticed it was basically identical to the XP elliptical. But the XP elliptical is 9.5? x 5? (not 9x5, though the round XP HF coil is 9? in diameter). So yeah, CoilTek is ?rounding up? by calling it a 10? coil. Used it at the beach and the depth was just as impressive as what you saw in your test garden. High sensitivity to micro targets too, as expected.

BTW, I normally run with Iron Bias F2 at the default setting of 6 and it mitigates square nail falsing well with minimal non-ferrous masking. Suggest folks really take advantage of that F2 Iron Bias filter to mitigate ferrous falsing without fear of masking. It is implemented much better than the Fe IB filter, which I did run at 0. On the beach, I really throw caution to the wind and run F2 IB up to the max at 9, really makes crown caps irrelevant. Cleans them up into a practically pure ferrous signal with a slight non-ferrous burp tone off the coil edge. Folks, don?t fear Iron Bias F2. Use it to your advantage. Minimal chance of non-ferrous target masking, therefore practically nil downside to using it.

HTH

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I have my next test garden video, I'm going to try the F2 at 6. Compare it. Thanks!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still wish Coiltek would make a nice 8" round coil!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still wish Coiltek would make a nice 8" round coil!!

Yeah, they should have focused on providing a couple of coils smaller than the stock coil vs. the two larger coils. First of all, it addresses the nose heavy balance of the Equinox. Second, depth performance is really optimized by the 11" coil and coverage by the 12x15. Providing a larger 15" round coil barely increases depth performance and does nothing to increase swing coverage at the expense of a huge weight penalty and cost. Not worth the trip IMO. I'm just happy they saw fit to at least make the 10x5.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine arrived from the UK, took 15 days from the time I ordered it until it was delivered. It took 12 days to get from New Jersey to Texas :) I'm looking forward to getting out and giving it a test run.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_181627850.jpg
    IMG_20210617_181627850.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 211

Indywar2

Greenie
Jun 27, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video.

A quick question for everyone: do you plan to use this coil as a replacement for the stock Equinox coil, or for certain situations? If certain situations like parks, what would determine when you would switch? I certainly see a big advantage with tight area such as woods and areas with overgrowth. How much better does it do with separation around junk/ferrous items. The video certainly suggests TID and depth are similar to the stock coil.

Rob

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With half the width I would think it has a bit less depth than the stock 11" coil. The Coiltek 10x5 should be good for tight areas or anywhere else you are not looking to go really deep. Most coins are in the top 6" if the ground has not been built up by silting, landscaping or in deep woods. The video shows it banging an 8" quarter and 6" dime with great effect so it would be good for most uses, and it is lighter making the machine better balanced although personally I don't find balance a problem as some others seem to. Coiltek coils are also known to be "hot" and quality built although expensive, and any addition to the "arsenal" is a plus. I do think a round 8" would probably be a little deeper than the 10x5 , width of a DD coil has a direct influence on depth capabilities. Bharpring has his sensitivity up to 22 hunting his garden, most places I hunt I cannot go over 20 sensitivity or I get too much chatter, I am usually down around 16-18 and I think the stock coil will be deeper than the 10x5 at such a setting. Minelab made more coils for the explorer series, I have no idea why they don't for the Nox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fine with the performance of 10x5. I personally am not wanting for the 8" round as I value the wider 1.5" swing coverage associated with the 10x5 (9.5x5) amore than the minor depth improvement with the 8" round. The total coil footprint area which correlates roughly to coil depth performance is 149.2 sq. in for the 10x5 and 201 sq. in. for the 8 inch round. So maybe 20 to 30 percent more depth at most. So the 8" round probably easily hits that dime at 8-9" while the 10x5 hits it at 6 to 7+" depending on the soil conditions. The elliptical will see less ground so should perform better than the round in hot ground.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the best comparison for a smaller coil chosen to tease out good signals in trashy areas be to compare this Coiltek elliptical with Minelab's 6" DD round coil (which I think is also cheaper?)?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Wouldn't the best comparison for a smaller coil chosen to tease out good signals in trashy areas be to compare this Coiltek elliptical with Minelab's 6" DD round coil (which I think is also cheaper?)?

That will get my attention when that side beside comparison with the 6" coil is done. My 6" gets great depth.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 6" and the 10x5. The 10x5 gets better depth and you actually have useful swing coverage as a bonus. Will be putting the 6" hockey puck up for sale as it no longer serves a purpose for my detecting needs.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the 6 inch ML only hits targets in the center of coil, i assume at depth. this makes no sense to me as it's a double D coil. should be hitting all through centerline, what am i not getting?? EDIT after watching this video I'm impressed with the depth and separation on the quarter. 8 inches and "surrounded by nails", plus 3 1/2 longer sweep. awesome.

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 15" Minelab coil never comes off unless I'm water hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great video and post. Our customers love the Coiltek Equinox 10x5 coil. Sure fits in tight spaces! I'm going to have to get out and use it more.

Last edited:

nwdetectorist

Greenie
Oct 23, 2021
In my limited experience using both the Minelab 6" and the Coiltek 10 x 5 in trash dense city parks and parking strips, informs me that the 6" EQ Coil separates better and a bit more quickly and accurately. On the other hand I get more coverage and essentially the same depth, perhaps a smidge more, with the Coiltek --- its just that as it sees more of the ground matrix, it also sees more of the other junk nearby my desired targets. For the time being I am sticking with Coiltek and taking it to fresh water beaches soon. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread