Wow!! Just found the beautiful Solid Silver Trigger Guard to the 1700s Flintlock!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last week I recovered the 1700s flintlock that made banner. Well, I was hoping all week to find other pieces to the gun like the trigger guard or butt plate at the trashy, muddy location! Yesterday, after digging through so many junk targets, I finally got the missing trigger guard!! Still on cloud nine!! The silversmith is John King. The London date hallmark on bottom is for 1774.

:headbang::tongue3: 0569A4A5-AE39-49B3-8E21-02CF120B3B9B.jpeg 41A82E2E-D849-453D-BF15-0B95DA6261A3.jpeg 0E99A98B-F5F3-4AB1-A871-8D1BDACACA82.jpeg 17CD7198-367F-40A2-8168-DD163160D8B4.jpeg F456C853-F2A2-46CE-8184-AA8C8185E255.jpeg 8FBD4DBB-B319-4B9E-A0F7-0E7303FC84CF.jpeg

Attachments

• 3C97544F-F30D-42DE-94E3-7DF4A5736FC0.jpeg
    3C97544F-F30D-42DE-94E3-7DF4A5736FC0.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 122
  • CFB18C29-87F8-4D10-8161-4B1F457B0EF5.jpeg
    CFB18C29-87F8-4D10-8161-4B1F457B0EF5.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Upvote 74

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes that is gorgeous! My old ticker would have skipped a few beats upon digging that up....Congratulations! I would be out there with a rake and a sifter for sure.

Steve

Last edited:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just awesome. I never knew that there were guns with big old chunks of silver like that. What a find! I'm hoping you can find more of that awesome old flintlock.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking, the butt plate will be silver as well. That was a high end fowling piece, congratulations on a great find.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an Incredible piece of History. Beautiful. Here is hoping you can find more pieces to this old Flintlock musket. This piece is still beautiful and ornate after all this time. Very Well Done and Congrat's. Thanks for sharing this with us.

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that you had to sit down for a few minutes after this piece came out of the ground. What an unbelievable find.Congratulations.!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some good water that saw a lot of colonial activity down there Keith. I wonder what could have been the circumstances for a gun with a side plate and trigger guard like that to be discarded into the water? You would think they would have salvaged those parts. I wonder what the inlays and butt plate looked like?

Maybe you can get the mods to post a picture of the side plate and trigger guard together on the Banner?

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Non coin colonial silver/gold finds especially with engraving are as good as it gets imo. My banner silver pomander still remains my favorite

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats on an extraordinary recovery. I imagine you feel intensely motivated to find the the butt plate. :notworthy:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn!! What an incredible find!!! Congrats on a really rare find! :notworthy:

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you find the buttplate we can change the picture & text & squeeze it in somewhere, CHEERS ! :icon_thumright:
SC Keith's Flintlock Pistol#1.png

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some good water that saw a lot of colonial activity down there Keith. I wonder what could have been the circumstances for a gun with a side plate and trigger guard like that to be discarded into the water? You would think they would have salvaged those parts...

As I said in an earlier post, my guess is that the events leading up to this exceptional firearm ending up in the swamp were probably not pleasant, but just the opposite. No way that anyone in their right mind would discard a gun like this. The imagination runs wild on this one whether related to hunting, warfare or who knows. I don't know how isolated this area is, and not trying to sound macabre, but it's conceivable that there may be a body in the vicinity.

On another note, I just wonder if it's possible from the hallmarks to pin down the possible gunmaker, then could there be museum examples of that maker's work somewhere. I know that's really stretching things, but I keep wondering what this gun may've looked like. Beautiful metalworking aside, the stock had to have been equally as beautiful.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome. Non coin colonial silver/gold finds especially with engraving are as good as it gets imo. My banner silver pomander still remains my favorite
. Yes! I love the pomander!

When you find the buttplate we can change the picture & text & squeeze it in somewhere, CHEERS ! :icon_thumright:
View attachment 1869345
Thank you Jose for making this image! I really appreciate you doing this!! Love it!!! Hope I can add to it!

As I said in an earlier post, my guess is that the events leading up to this exceptional firearm ending up in the swamp were probably not pleasant, but just the opposite. No way that anyone in their right mind would discard a gun like this. The imagination runs wild on this one whether related to hunting, warfare or who knows. I don't know how isolated this area is, and not trying to sound macabre, but it's conceivable that there may be a body in the vicinity.

On another note, I just wonder if it's possible from the hallmarks to pin down the possible gunmaker, then could there be museum examples of that maker's work somewhere. I know that's really stretching things, but I keep wondering what this gun may've looked like. Beautiful metalworking aside, the stock had to have been equally as beautiful.
Barrel is in bad shape but I have a probable ID as Joseph Heylin the barrelsmith. I have here a pic of my barrel with his mark and his mark on an intact pistol. The finest gunsmiths in England were using John King silver mounts.
3341B5A6-14BC-43E4-8C2D-3315E1189820.jpeg 170B8A12-0DBD-49F6-8749-9C8838192ED1.jpg

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish it could talk and tell us it's story.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Joseph Heylin/John King Here's a link to some fabulous pictures of Joseph Heylin creations that have silver side plates, buttplates &
trigger guards (has hallmarks) that look like John King creations.Guard in last photo is attributed to King. (see last picture at bottom of link)8-)
LINK: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LrLaR
Actually, upon further review, all images in link are the same pistol. Looks like there may be more silver & brass pieces to be found judging from the "furniture" on the pictured pistol.
Author of the photos & text "Dana K. Williams" would most likely enjoy the finds of "SC KEITH" & may have some input on
the find & might even want to join TNET being the history buff that he is. Also, although the sideplates & trigger guards In "SC KEITH's" find & Mr. Williams' photos are very similar but not exactly the same, it's possible that Mr. Williams has some, or can direct
us to, a database of some kind that pinpoints who the pistol was made for, if in fact, John King and/or Joseph Heylin kept records that can be searched that identify the pistol & its buyer by the designs on the silver "furniture", as Mr. Williams calls them.
(the drum with arrows and swords on the trigger guard for example)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread