Wow! My Best Silver Day With My First SLQ, First Barber Half and First Silver Spill!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hello everyone. Can still hardly believe the day I had yesterday. Went out to a park that a new hunting buddy invited me to. His impression was that there was a tavern in the area of this parks woods. He's been going here for years with his Ace250 and has pulled Silver, IHPs and V Nickles ect.

Now we both have the Equinox and this was his first time using it there. After about an hour I saw someone else swinging a CTX 3030. Got to chatting and he said there used to be food stands on the paths in this park back in the day. He also said he had hit this park hard over the last 10 years, and that this was his last time coming to the park. He had managed a single Merc for the day.

We wished each other good luck and went on our separate ways. At this time I had only managed a wheat and a old pocket knife. I get a call from my buddy saying he had just found his first Walking Liberty half and a Washington quarter in the same hole!

Now I had some hope for some good finds. Made my way to where my friend was and stumbled on a nice quarter signal. Popped the plug and saw Lady Liberty standing and staring back at me! That would have made my day if it was all I found. But it was just the tip of the iceberg.

Things slowed down for us after that, but not for long. Noticed a very large rotted tree stump and started swinging around it. Two nice sounding can lids came first, then I had a screaming, tight 34 in all directions on the Nox. I was thinking its gotta be a half.

Sure enough, popped the plug and 3 inches down I see that sweet silver disc caked with dirt. Flip it over and see that glorious Eagle in my hand! No way! It's my first Barber, oldest silver and its beautiful! WooHoo!

Called my friend and said "Dude I just got a barber half!" At this time were both over the moon. We both have Halfs and Quarters. Gave it a quck rinse in the stream. 1915 D Barber half and its in very good shape.

Again I could have left there a very happy detectorist. But you know that sudden burst of energy we get when the finds keep coming. Kept at it and came across a nice 27 not far from the half. Popped out a merc dime. Check the hole another merc dime! Swing around the hole, solid 31 right there. Washington quarter! Felt kinda bad calling my buddy this time lol. "Dude 3 silver spill!"

We met up chatted a bit, swapped some stories and decided to call it a day. 5 hours in and our arms were sore and find pouches heavy with Silver lol. 5 silver for me and 3 for him from a known heavily hunted park. This was only the second hunt we had been on togther but one we will remember forever. Hopes for more hunts like this in our future and start of a good partnership.

Hope you enjoyed my story. Here is some pictures for your enjoyment and hopefully motivation to keep hitting those pounded parks.

Good luck out there and happy hunting everyone!

-Centsless

20220417_075545_Film1.jpg

20220417_075356_Film1.jpg

Resized952022041695123529.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 46

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great results from a well hit park, congrats on the silvers.
Goes to show that most sites are ever done with completely.
Yet some cause one to think how can it be that so many silver can be missed.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great results from a well hit park, congrats on the silvers.
Goes to show that most sites are ever done with completely.
Yet some cause one to think how can it be that so many silver can be missed.
Thanks pepper! My friend and I were thinking the same thing. Makes me wonder if that guy I saw was trying to discourge me from detecting the park. Anyways we will be going back for sure.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks pepper! My friend and I were thinking the same thing. Makes me wonder if that guy I saw was trying to discourge me from detecting the park. Anyways we will be going back for sure.
Protecting the home turf that's all.
That or his detecting skills are like all ours-they suck. :laughing7:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hello everyone. Can still hardly believe the day I had yesterday. Went out to a park that a new hunting buddy invited me to. His impression was that there was a tavern in the area of this parks woods. He's been going here for years with his Ace250 and has pulled Silver, IHPs and V Nickles ect.

Now we both have the Equinox and this was his first time using it there. After about an hour I saw someone else swinging a CTX 3030. Got to chatting and he said there used to be food stands on the paths in this park back in the day. He also said he had hit this park hard over the last 10 years, and that this was his last time coming to the park. He had managed a single Merc for the day.

We wished each other good luck and went on our separate ways. At this time I had only managed a wheat and a old pocket knife. I get a call from my buddy saying he had just found his first Walking Liberty half and a Washington quarter in the same hole!

Now I had some hope for some good finds. Made my way to where my friend was and stumbled on a nice quarter signal. Poped the plug and saw Lady Liberty standing and staring back at me! That would have made my day if it was all I found. But it was just the tip of the iceberg.

Things slowed down for us after that, but not for long. Noticed a very large rotted tree stump and started swinging around it. Two nice sounding can lids came first, then I had a screaming, tight 34 in all directions on the Nox. I was thinking its gotta be a half.

Sure enough, popped the plug and 3 inches down I see that sweet silver disc caked with dirt. Flip it over and see that glorious Eagle in my hand! No way! It's my first Barber, oldest silver and its beautiful! WooHoo!

Called my friend and said "Dude I just got a barber half!" At this time were both over the moon. We both have Halfs and Quarters. Gave it a quck rinse in the stream. 1915 D Barber half and its in very good shape.

Again I could have left there a very happy detectorist. But you know that sudden burst of energy we get when the finds keep coming. Kept at it and came across a nice 27 not far from the half. Popped out a merc dime. Check the hole another merc dime! Swing around the hole, solid 31 right there. Washington quarter! Felt kinda bad calling my buddy this time lol. "Dude 3 silver spill!"

We met up chatted a bit, swapped some stories and decided to call it a day. 5 hours in and our arms were sore and find pouches heavy with Silver lol. 5 silver for me and 3 for him from a known heavily hunted park. This was only the second hunt we had been on togther but one we will remember forever. Hopes for more hunts like this in our future and start of a good partnership.

Hope you enjoyed my story. Here is some pictures for your enjoyment and hopefully motivation to keep hitting those pounded parks.

-Centsless

View attachment 2021423

View attachment 2021424

View attachment 2021425
The silver is out there....maybe not...I think you found it all...save some for us! That is my ideal day of detecting... congratulations!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT DAY !!! CONGRATS

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Protecting the home turf that's all.
That or his detecting skills are like all ours-they suck. :laughing7:
Both are possible for sure. However it seems like I live closer than he does.
outstanding hunt! that barber is in beautiful condition. Congrats!
Thanks jewlerguy. Couldn't believe the condition it's in. Must have been lost very early.
The silver is out there....maybe not...I think you found it all...save some for us! That is my ideal day of detecting... congratulations!
Thanks CM! Sure hope we didn't find it all... yet. Absolutely my best day for silver and best hunt in years.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now I had some hope for some good finds. Made my way to where my friend was and stumbled on a nice quarter signal. Poped the plug and saw Lady Liberty standing and staring back at me! That would have made my day if it was all I found. But it was just the tip of the iceberg.

-Centsless

View attachment 2021423

View attachment 2021424

View attachment 2021425
You killed it! I love that Barber! It’s a beautifully designed coin! Congratulations and keep it up!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are possible for sure. However it seems like I live closer than he does.

Thanks jewlerguy. Couldn't believe the condition it's in. Must have been lost very early.

Thanks CM! Sure hope we didn't find it all... yet. Absolutely my best day for silver and best hunt in years.
I look forward to seeing more of your finds...those coins need saving!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You killed it! I love that Barber! It’s a beautifully designed coin! Congratulations and keep it up!
Thanks FF. Waited 6 years to find a Barber. Never thought my first would be a big one!
You had a grand time and found some very nice coins. Congrats.
You can say that again IronMan. Thanks a bunch.
I look forward to seeing more of your finds...those coins need saving!
Same here CM. Love saving coins. Relics too. We'll see what next weekend brings. Just a bit too sore to get out there today lol.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FF. Waited 6 years to find a Barber. Never thought my first would be a big one!

You can say that again IronMan. Thanks a bunch.

Same here CM. Love saving coins. Relics too. We'll see what next weekend brings. Just a bit too sore to get out there today lol.
If you are too sore let me help...be right there... where's that spot again? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread