WV Creek Frame Update

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took some out and added some new finds. These are all from the same creek. 81446FC2-83F0-48AF-BBC2-627B02702FE3.jpeg

Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that frame/collection! I see bifurcated points, beveled types and more Blade tools. Gorgeous material. They really liked their dark materials. I thought that some of it is Coshocton Flint, seeing the telltale white quartz veins and shades of blue, black and grey.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, in much of West Virginia, Kanawha was pretty much all they had. Usually not much to write home about -- this shows the high quality end of the spectrum, which I hadn't suspected existed.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that’s an interesting fact, and I’ll take your word for it.
I just thought that Coshocton County, Ohio, which is within a few days walk to Charleston, WV would naturally provide a bountiful source of excellent material to more than than just the locals.
Im only repeating what I’ve read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Mercer_flint

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes and no. The more time passed, the more people there came to be. Which led to competition for territorial resources and boundaries. (And what seems to have been recreational as well as all-out warfare). This is a process first evident back as far as the Dalton era and continued. With the Benton Archaic you start seeing materials traveling over the span of a hundred miles or so, then continental movement of selective, high-status lithics with the Mound Builders.

Most of your points are Archaic, and from later than the early phase when trade in pretty/high-quality lithics (Dovetails for example) was a thing of the past. Maybe your local history was an exception to the general rule.

FWIW.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a Dalton at the bottom center?

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m beginning to see the subtle differences between the two lithic materials. Great post by reuellis.
Got us digging into the nitty gritty.
Love the journey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread