WW-2 closed army camp. Camp Livingston, Louisiana. 1941 Photo added!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good site to hunt in Louisiana. Very large old army base shut down in the late 1940's, near Ball, and Pineville, La. I have walked some of the paved streets and found 1940's and 1930's Wheat penneys on the roadway ...It was BIG when the Gov. shut it down. I remember my Uncle had built a feed storage house out of ammo boxes from the site. Check it out. I am showing about 3/4 of it, it extends to the right even more. The road that heads north with a bend in it is about the middle of the base.
DG

Shown below the present day photo is one taken in 1941 showing the extent of the camp at the beginning of ww-2. The photo is large so I had to take a picture of it rather than scan it. Just use the road with the bend as a reference point. and invert the bottom photo.
DG

Attachments

• Camp livingston, La..jpg
    Camp livingston, La..jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 4,072
  • Camp livingston 1941.jpg
    Camp livingston 1941.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 3,781

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WW-2 closed army camp. Camp Livingston, Louisiana.

Wish it was closer you could spend months out there :)

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have an old aerial photo from about 1944 that I might post for a match up on what was there if anyone is interested.
DG

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Please post it. I'm interested.

Kisatchie

Feb 20, 2007
Winnfield, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

I am sure interested also. I dont live that far from there, its only about and hour or so drive for me. Sure would like to find more info on this area.

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
dg- Thanks for posting the old picture for comparison. It is amazing what a difference 60 years makes. I'll bet thatthat is a great place to detect. Too bad I'm 2000 miles away!

Thanks again for posting!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong that would take a year or so to md :o

Kisatchie

Feb 20, 2007
Winnfield, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks for posting the pics, I plan on going there soon to check it out. I have talked to a co-worker that had gone there on training while in the Guard. Sounds like a very interesting place.

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
Wow, looks great.
By chance is there anywhere you can land an airplane around there?

Nick
Have plane will travel.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DG39,
Wow what a find, that could take years to hunt and rehunt and rehunt..., since we know that you can never truly find all the coins and treasures the first time around.
Happy hunting.

tmaster

Sep 26, 2011
The camp is run by the Forest Service and they have clear posted rules forbiding using a metal detecors in the camp. Just having one with you can get you fined.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TREASURE HUNT IN THE CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmaster said:
The camp is run by the Forest Service and they have clear posted rules forbiding using a metal detecors in the camp. Just having one with you can get you fined.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TREASURE HUNT IN THE CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
are you with the forest service ?

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
It is not run by the Forest Service. It was turned over to the Louisiana National Guard years ago.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The U.S. Forest Service manages the property where the camp was previously located, and most of the original concrete streets can be accessed and some are used on a daily basis for traffic passing through the camp. The footings from many of the buildings are still in place as well as most of the original parking lots and parade areas. At least two of the swimming pools can be located and one of those up until recent years was used as an unauthorized civilian shooting range. The U.S. Forest Service also maintains the Little Creek and Hickman Trails, which are multiple-use trail systems utilized by ATV enthusiasts throughout the area. The original water treatment plant that was built to serve the camp is still in operation today, and now serves Water Works District No. 3 in Rapides Parish."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Livingston

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread