WW1 button and some other old items from DC

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked a new stretch of shoreline along DC. I was hoping that this stretch would produce some finds since I was finding bottles nearby. I was NOT expecting civil war bottle fragments and was NOT expecting a civil war button to be found today, and in very stellar condition. It seems to say 10 C on it with swords crossing I think it’s confederate but I don’t know how any confederate soldier managed to make it this far down south, especially since they attacked further north at fort Stevens. I also found a ceramic button, a spoon, an unknown ceramic artifact, a lightbulb fixture, and a lot more. Today was great, I will be coming back here in the hopes a complete civil war era bottle pops up sometime. Maybe some more buttons would be in order as well that’d be cool. Or a gold coin. I’m very excited to find civil war era artifacts so close to where I live it’s pretty awesome.

All the finds:
A0E91CA2-94F8-4904-9A38-1F9A0F03F555.jpeg

The two buttons I found:
EC855975-1FC9-4EDB-B658-AB42A2964745.jpeg

The swords crossing each other is insane. I never thought I would find a button like this in DC proper. This was not found out at some farm field this was eroding from the banks. I don’t have words to describe how awesome this is!

Buttons flipped:
E765B326-9C9A-4DD4-A291-B94C5D679614.jpeg

This is an awesome button, excellently preserved.

Bottle fragments:
710FFD7A-75C3-4F7A-A732-542156F19ACA.jpeg
C82A6D82-655E-403A-8192-0D3547947DF0.jpeg

This glass is olive colored and extremely thick. I think it’s either beer or some alcoholic beverage. Either way, it’s extremely old. Much older than the stuff I’m used to. I want a complete bottle out of here!

Spoon:
67BAC116-5A63-4D55-A2C0-798569D9668E.jpeg

Spoons are always fun to scoop up. Whether this is civil war or younger I cannot tell but it sure looks very old!

Spoon flipped:
0BF3C7EC-7174-4E91-830F-43AEC0129255.jpeg

Weird artifact that I don’t know:
B1215FF2-82BF-42F8-86AB-71C389373CB5.jpeg
95945757-BCED-4ED5-9A67-5AF0D6F62FB2.jpeg
I have no idea what this is…

I also found some interesting items along here that signify some bad deeds. Here’s some of the photos I got:

All the ankle monitors I found:

F0AB008E-8977-4537-B886-C0DE4E4A3C2C.jpeg
5DB47057-DC91-469A-A6DE-33CDFDCC383A.jpeg

Cutting your ankle monitors is very very bad 👎 collecting civil war artifacts seems to be a lot more joyful of an activity than running away from cops personally. I guess everyone’s gotta have a hobby to keep them occupied but this seems very counter productive to leading a good life but oh well I guess.

It was fun being out at the DC shoreline I really hope to come back to this spot again! I hope I don’t run into somebody cutting their monitor while here that would be kinda bad. Let me know what you guys think of the button! Is it confederate? Is it civil war era?

Upvote 4

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That round item is NOT a button. That is a brass collar disc that is placed on the lapel of a military uniform, on the left side of the uniform. The opposite side would have another collar disc with US on it. I don't think its Confederate, nor Civil War.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good looking collar disk.

US WWI Type Collar Disc, 10th Cavalry, C Troop​

Value $30.00
The 2 shards are probably wine, pontil would put them in the 1880 era

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very ecstatic about the button. It's really cool! It's over a century old and I'm a sucker for the first World War! Not that it happened because wars suck but the fact that it's from that timeline is really cool. I will definitely return here.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked a new stretch of shoreline along DC. I was hoping that this stretch would produce some finds since I was finding bottles nearby. I was NOT expecting civil war bottle fragments and was NOT expecting a civil war button to be found today, and in very stellar condition. It seems to say 10 C on it with swords crossing I think it’s confederate but I don’t know how any confederate soldier managed to make it this far down south, especially since they attacked further north at fort Stevens. I also found a ceramic button, a spoon, an unknown ceramic artifact, a lightbulb fixture, and a lot more. Today was great, I will be coming back here in the hopes a complete civil war era bottle pops up sometime. Maybe some more buttons would be in order as well that’d be cool. Or a gold coin. I’m very excited to find civil war era artifacts so close to where I live it’s pretty awesome.

All the finds:
View attachment 2056993

The two buttons I found:
View attachment 2056994
The swords crossing each other is insane. I never thought I would find a button like this in DC proper. This was not found out at some farm field this was eroding from the banks. I don’t have words to describe how awesome this is!

Buttons flipped:
View attachment 2056999
This is an awesome button, excellently preserved.

Bottle fragments:
View attachment 2056996 View attachment 2056995
This glass is olive colored and extremely thick. I think it’s either beer or some alcoholic beverage. Either way, it’s extremely old. Much older than the stuff I’m used to. I want a complete bottle out of here!

Spoon: View attachment 2056997
Spoons are always fun to scoop up. Whether this is civil war or younger I cannot tell but it sure looks very old!

Spoon flipped:
View attachment 2056998

Weird artifact that I don’t know:
View attachment 2057000 View attachment 2057001 I have no idea what this is…

I also found some interesting items along here that signify some bad deeds. Here’s some of the photos I got:

All the ankle monitors I found:

View attachment 2057002 View attachment 2057003
Cutting your ankle monitors is very very bad 👎 collecting civil war artifacts seems to be a lot more joyful of an activity than running away from cops personally. I guess everyone’s gotta have a hobby to keep them occupied but this seems very counter productive to leading a good life but oh well I guess.

It was fun being out at the DC shoreline I really hope to come back to this spot again! I hope I don’t run into somebody cutting their monitor while here that would be kinda bad. Let me know what you guys think of the button! Is it confederate? Is it civil war era?
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done, Fossil Adult...
Might want to turn the ankle monitor in to the local constabulary. The ones used here in Texas have a read feature that will tell when and where it was removed.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done, Fossil Adult...
Might want to turn the ankle monitor in to the local constabulary. The ones used here in Texas have a read feature that will tell when and where it was removed.
I might do a second sweep into that area and they offer reward money. Figured nobody else frequents that area since it’s so desolate so I will probably pick them up when I have sufficient storage options. I only had my pockets to carry these items I wasn’t about to walk around SE DC with broken ankle monitors out and about that would have put a big red target on my back. They’ll remain there until I return there next time to turn them in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread