WW2 Bayonet?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up in the Philippines back in the 80’s.
The man said it was from WW 2
But had no more information.
Can anyone here help me identify it?
Thanks
6EB34810-8EC9-4446-A757-B718DDD7B6CB.jpeg
BEF5D2AE-77AB-4D97-950B-DF677CA9CC1D.jpeg

Attachments

• 53DBBE78-DD25-4A30-AE65-DCA0A65DE51E.jpeg
    53DBBE78-DD25-4A30-AE65-DCA0A65DE51E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks
View attachment 2005939 View attachment 2005940

As said a bayonet for the M1 Garand rifle.....Yours is a purpose made 10 inch blade version. This can be verified by the Fuller Groove (Erroneously referred to as a Blood Groove). Your Fuller does not go to the end of the blade, on modified bayonets (Converted 16 inch M1905 bayonets were referred to as M1905E1 bayonets and were cut down to 10 inches ) the Fuller continues off the blade.

Here's my bayonet along with a shot of it with the M1 Garand in my collection.

20220128_132017.jpg
20220128_132104.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe yours might be a American Fork and Hoe (AFH) made bayonet based on the dual circle "Flaming Bomb" Ordnance Mark, and what appears to be the remains of the AFH markings above the "Flaming Bomb".

Great link for IDing the markings.

Main page of the link.

AFH marked bayonet markings, your style would be the one of the far right.

23-06.jpg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Nice M1 bayonet. The USA essentially owned the Phillipines back then so there was probably a ton of US equipment left there after the war, also alot of Japanese stuff too since they occupied the islands for awhile.

You know there was a ton of treasure hidden in the Philippines during this time. Some say there is more WWII-era treasure hidden on those islands than anywhere else in the world.

For starters the US/Philippine government dumped their entire silver treasury into the Pacific ocean somewhere off the island's shore so it wouldn't fall into Japanese hands - most of this treasure was recovered after the war but not all of it (we're talking litteral sunken treasure chests here).

Then there's the Japanese treasures. According to some accounts, some more credible than others, the Japanese plundered China and all the Pacific areas of all their treasures and hid the collected loot in several dozen secret locations under ground in the Phillipines- with each hoard containing billions in gold each.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to remember M1 Garands were used by the US during WWII in the Philippines, followed by post WWII into the Korean War era. Plus the Philippines itself used M1 Garands for many years.

While a WWII bayonet, it could have been lost anytime from WWII up to shortly before it was found. Regardless it's a cool relic.....

I believe the last of the Garands, we loaned to the Philippines, came back to the US in the 2018/2019 period.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to remember M1 Garands were used by the US during WWII in the Philippines, followed by post WWII into the Korean War era. Plus the Philippines itself used M1 Garands for many years.

While a WWII bayonet, it could have been lost anytime from WWII up to shortly before it was found. Regardless it's a cool relic.....

I believe the past of the Philippine loaned Garands came back to the US in the 2018/2019 period.
True that. And the M1 was used in Viet Nam at least for a while. Just thinking out loud. Sure you knew that. Good posts on here, sir.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, I believe in limited use and numbers, between 1963 and 1965, with the exception of Sniper Variants possibly. Don't quote me on the dates, trying to remember......
They were still used in the battle for Huáşż in early 1968. I do not know after that.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
They were still used in the battle for Huáşż in early 1968. I do not know after that.

In US use? I know ARVn, South Korean, Filipino and Thai troops used them. Plus the Sniper Varients used by US troops.

I know the Navy/Sea Bees used them when supporting the landing of Marines.

I'm not an expert on the date range for the M1 Garand in US use. Just passing on what I've read over the years.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In US use? I know ARVn, South Korean, Filipino and Thai troops used them. Plus the Sniper Varients used by US troops.

I know the Navy/Sea Bees used them when supporting the landing of Marines.

I'm not an expert on the date range for the M1 Garand in US use. Just passing on what I've read over the years.
Primarily Sout Vietnamese but I am not sure the Marines also did not have limited use. Marines had some M1A1 Thompsons for sure. I am sure you know way more than me on it. Just by chance there was an article recently in American Rifleman about battle for Hue. I bow to your knowledge.

See Lance Corporal C. D. Bradford in Hue city 1968.

Attachments

• 20220128_180316.jpg
    20220128_180316.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Primarily Sout Vietnamese but I am not sure the Marines also did not have limited use. Marines had some M1A1 Thompsons for sure. I am sure you know way more than me on it. Just by chance there was an article recently in American Rifleman about battle for Hue. I bow to your knowledge.

See Lance Corporal C. D. Bradford in Hue city 1968.

I am human, and prone to screwing up what I know from time to time. My wife constantly reminds me of that.....!

While a student of history, I'm constantly learning, and having to unlearn at the same time as new information becomes available.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am human, and prone to screwing up what I know from time to time. My wife constantly reminds me of that.....!

While a student of history, I'm constantly learning, and having to unlearn at the same time as new information becomes available.
You are going to the same school as me, brother. Welcome to our journey of learning.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You are going to the same school as me, brother. Welcome to our journey of learning.

Good but long read on the weapons used in Vietnam.

Below is the opening paragraph of the "Use (or non-use) by American Forces" section of the article.

"There was no official unit-level use of standard (non-sniper) M1 Garands by American forces in South Vietnam after 1963, which is quite certainly not the same as guaranteeing that none whatsoever happened."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread