WW2 Dog Tag Found in Fox hole on Guam. Help me build a profile.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came across this post today, what an amazing story. I’m a retired detective and I commend you on your patience and perseverance in trying to find this Marines family. I hope you find them, especially if they would be excited to have his dog tag. I think this story would make a great movie, especially if you’re able to bring it to a successful conclusion. Good luck.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing story. Thanks for sharing it and for being dedicated to the task. I shared it with my grandson that is currently posted to Anderson AFB. He's visited some of the WWII sites on the island.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came across this post today, what an amazing story. I’m a retired detective and I commend you on your patience and perseverance in trying to find this Marines family. I hope you find them, especially if they would be excited to have his dog tag. I think this story would make a great movie, especially if you’re able to bring it to a successful conclusion. Good luck.
Thank you for your encouragement. Life is all about road blocks and getting around them. I have never given up on anything that i feel is important.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing story. Thanks for sharing it and for being dedicated to the task. I shared it with my grandson that is currently posted to Anderson AFB. He's visited some of the WWII sites on the island.
Thank you sandog. Tell your grandson to be careful out in the jungle. Still lots of ordinance to be found and the older it gets the less stable it might be.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ammorman, I'll pass that along also. He probably would not be as surprised as I was to find unexploded large bomb detonator on nearby FL beach. Also described as unstable by the bomb squad. I imagine those islands are really loaded with them.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can now put a face to the dog tag.
Thank you so much to Nguyen Duc Khang for making a trip to the national archives and finding PVT Dales file!

Attachments

• IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 17

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this tag while digging in a fox hole on Guam back in the 1980's I tried for several years to locate next of kin with no success. I then lost the tag about 10 years ago.

View attachment 1915659

Yesterday, i found the tag and i am super excited to get back to building a profile on this fallen HERO with the ultimate goal of returning the tag to his next of kin.

Here is what i know.
William H. Dale gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. He died between July 21st and August 10th 1944 while participating in the liberation of Guam. He was one of 1866 soldiers who was killed or died of wounds as a result of the battle.
His name is listed on the war in the pacific wall located at the battle site.

View attachment 1915660

I have no other information on him.

If anyone here would like to help me find more information on him please feel free to post on this thread.
Place of birth? next of kin? Place he might be buried? Anything about his service would be helpful.

Thanks so much!
I also was stationed on Guam back in 83 to 85. I was a Air Force.. I have found world war two dog tags when I was stationed at Seymour Johnson, Air Force Base in North Carolina. There is a website Angelo’s Angels.. google it. She specializes in finding relatives of old dog tags. She found relatives of two or three that I found..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread