WW2 relic.....knowing where to look!

Jdarby

Aug 20, 2013
I wanted to share this item with the group. An old worthless piece of rusting metal. Not sure if it was from a ration tin or might have been part of a battery case. The story of it's find is what makes it priceless. Several years ago I went on a tour of Italy and Southern France to retrace the steps of my father's WWII unit. On the tour we had two of the surviving veterans. We were on our tour bus and headed up into the mountains to the town of Castillon, France. While winding up the switchback roads, one of the vets suddenly said...."we camped right near here!" 70 years later and he still recognized the landmarks. The bus stopped and this vet with a few others walked off into the woods. Within minutes they emerged with their hands full of rusted pieces of metal and barbed wire salvaged from the encampment's garbage pile. For all I know, my father could have handled this same piece of metal back during the war. So, while it's not much to look at....it's an amazing testament to a veteran's memory! No metal detecting tools were required!

IMG_2352.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to share this item with the group. An old worthless piece of rusting metal. Not sure if it was from a ration tin or might have been part of a battery case. The story of it's find is what makes it priceless. Several years ago I went on a tour of Italy and Southern France to retrace the steps of my father's WWII unit. On the tour we had two of the surviving veterans. We were on our tour bus and headed up into the mountains to the town of Castillon, France. While winding up the switchback roads, one of the vets suddenly said...."we camped right near here!" 70 years later and he still recognized the landmarks. The bus stopped and this vet with a few others walked off into the woods. Within minutes they emerged with their hands full of rusted pieces of metal and barbed wire salvaged from the encampment's garbage pile. For all I know, my father could have handled this same piece of metal back during the war. So, while it's not much to look at....it's an amazing testament to a veteran's memory! No metal detecting tools were required!

View attachment 2017192
Kinda looks like the end plate of a 1/4 pound block of TNT!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread