Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone in my neighborhood threw this away today. I did alot of research on it for you guys. It is a French 75mm shell casing that has been made into an oil lamp.
20200812_020227.jpg 20200812_020334.jpg

The shell casing was produced by the 'Ateliers de Construction de Rennes' company in 1915 in Rennes, France. The artillery shell it was meant to fire was used by the 'Canon de 75 Modele 1897' which was perhaps the single most common artillery cannon of the era.

gun-French-cannon-introduction-World-War-I-1897.jpg

The flame mechanism is from a salvaged Pigeon Gasoline lamp, invented in 1884 by Charles-Joseph Pigeon (29 March 1838 – 18 March 1915) and showcased to much acclaim at the 'Exposition Universelle' in 1900 in Paris. The Pigeon Gasoline lamp offered the first widespread and practical use for gasoline before automobiles took over in the ensuing century.
d1f45446c09c0b27c3fcd2d326ff9469.jpg 20200812_020227.jpg
(a genuine Pigeon Gasoline lamp) Contrast with the handmade one, they look quite similar but the biggest difference is the original top unscrewed to accept fuel and to change the wick. The handmade one's top is soldered shut and only way to add fuel is threw a small screw cap to the side of it.

Edit: As pointed out by user Westfront the copper handle of this lamp is also a piece of salvaged military hardware. It is infact the copper driving band from the base of an artillery shell with the inside checkered pattern facing outward. Driving bands were most commonly used to make bracelets by the soldiers who would cut them off broken, or un-exploded shells.

17-637-5.jpg
(Note the checkered pattern on the inside of this trench bracelet matches the same pattern on the handle of the lamp)

I can only speculate to the idea that this item was constructed by a French soldier some time around 1915 and that it served a practical use in lighting the trenches he was fighting in. It seems plausible that he found a broken Pigeon lamp in the rubble of the destroyed French countryside and rebuilt it using war debris.

Manufacture_2.jpg men_making_trench_art_z.jpg
These French soldiers have dedicated an entire wagon for the purpose of building things from war debris.

TA_making_1.jpg trench_art_manufacture_z.jpg
Here are some soldiers making vases from the casings.

trench_art_manufacture_z1.jpg 2321666419_1.jpg
Newspaper article from the time showing French soldiers making things from shell casings. It appears the most common thing they made was vases, they also commonly made ash trays, letter openers, and lighters.

Last edited:
Upvote 34

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great find. Glad you rescued that from heading to the landfill.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe the soldier made it to use as a cook stove . If I was in a trench on the battlefield I would not make myself an easy target with such an item marking my location.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting post - nicely done. Great find. Congratulations.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Great find and presentation ! You have a very good eye for interesting finds, and the period photos add much significance to the piece. Thank you for this post. Good Luck, and keep 'em coming !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great save.

really appreciate the research and the photos.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the handle is bent out a shell driving band. I've seen similar imprinting on the inside of them before. It's a true keeper. :icon_thumright:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice and great piece of history! Thanks for saving it and for sharing with us!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the handle is bent out a shell driving band. I've seen similar imprinting on the inside of them before. It's a true keeper. :icon_thumright:

Lol, you're correct. I was trying to figure out how the pattern on the handle was made. As you point out that is the pattern on the inside of the artillery shell driving band. Soldiers would cut the bands off the shells and make jewelry out of them.
17566b.jpg
In this example you can see the same pattern on the inside of this soldier-made trench bracelet.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe the soldier made it to use as a cook stove . If I was in a trench on the battlefield I would not make myself an easy target with such an item marking my location.

I think you're right. I also think this only served a bare bones practical use and was not meant to be a souvenir either. Most trench art I've researched has decorations, names, or places of manufacture written on it, but this has none of that, nothing personal etched on it in any way. Odd until you realize it was likely made just becasue he needed it, not that he wanted a trinket like the others did in memory of battle.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow never surprises me what people will throw out good save

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find and post!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is super freaking cool! Thank you for saving it from being doomed to the garbage pit :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread