WWII 1943 .50 cal Live Round, Misc. Bullets

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my second live .50 cal marked 43 on the base. It's the one on the right. Last year I found the other buried like a dart in the hillside. These were about 300 yards apart buried around 2" deep. I have not found any .50 cal spent rounds or fired bullets. Since we didn't have any bases in this area, I am surmising that these were jams cleared at altitude from planes strafing a nearby island as part of the coastal defenses. This rolling wooded area has always been undeveloped and is not far from the ocean. Eastern Long Island guarded the approaches to the CT coast and NYC. Real mix of ballistics today.

Attachments

• tres264.jpg
    tres264.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 5

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my second live .50 cal marked 43 on the base. It's the one on the right. Last year I found the other buried like a dart in the hillside. These were about 300 yards apart buried around 2" deep. I have not found any .50 cal spent rounds or fired bullets. Since we didn't have any bases in this area, I am surmising that these were jams cleared at altitude from planes strafing a nearby island as part of the coastal defenses. This rolling wooded area has always been undeveloped and is not far from the ocean. Eastern Long Island guarded the approaches to the CT coast and NYC. Real mix of ballistics today.
Nice 50s,your theory sounds good too. The bullet on the left in your pic looks like a Brenneke rifled slug,for a shotgun.One on the right looks like either a 45 ACP or 9mm FMJ. Good work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread