Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no options left for field hunting i got invited by a buddy who recently got permission to a large farm all in pasture, roughly located near roman settlements, but mostly in the autumn 1944 front line. Looking over the many acres of grass i decided to try a small valley with old trees west of the farmhouse.
41262801pt.jpg

We soon started finding rifle ammo both German and US. Here .50cal and glasses of a gas mask.
41262802cn.jpg

41262804no.jpg

Another hole with two handfull of .50s
41262805ft.jpg

41262807hz.jpg

Fresh dug Garand clip
41262808jk.jpg

Cut off top of a 90mm casing, you see the crimp where the shell was sitting. No idea why this was cut off, start of some trench art?
41262809ir.jpg

Coil of a German Petromax pressure lamp, like the Coleman ones used by US.
41262810qr.jpg

41262817hs.jpg

41262818qo.jpg

Collection of a hand grenade fuze, rifle casing, bullet and an instant coffee sachet.
41262811vq.jpg

Closeup ot the sachet coming out of a ration box.
41262812mc.jpg

41262813lk.jpg

Coins of the day with a near mint state 1876 50 Pfennig silver and the roman bronze scrappie surprise.
41262814qz.jpg

41262815cz.jpg

Other bits 'n pieces...
41262816mc.jpg

Thanks for looking! :occasion14:

Upvote 29

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Westfront,

Nice little hunt, the scenery looks peaceful - never would have taken it for a battle site. I really like the silver 50 pfennig coin - silver is always tough. Got a chuckle out of the Roman scrappie, you never know where those will turn up. The way the ammo shortage is going over here I may have to ask you to share some of the rounds you found - lol. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront,

Nice little hunt, the scenery looks peaceful - never would have taken it for a battle site. I really like the silver 50 pfennig coin - silver is always tough. Got a chuckle out of the Roman scrappie, you never know where those will turn up. The way the ammo shortage is going over here I may have to ask you to share some of the rounds you found - lol. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Very nice place to sit down and relax Walt. Too bad you're no longer close. Nothing looks like it was bloody ground once.... The silver made my day, 50 Pfennig is pretty rare to get the coil over and in beautiful condition too.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your very nice recoveries and showing us the beautiful scenery

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to the last field you said that you loosely gridded 25% of it?
If that has been drilled, then at least you still have a large area to explore. Good news you got scrappies in grass, that's rare over here! (unless ploughed in past years)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post Westfront, thanks for all of the in-situe pics. :thumbsup:
Your first pic of the small valley with old trees literally took my breath away.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see any of the 'old trees' that you were talking about... if you want to see 'old trees', you should see the sites I hunt. :laughing7:

Love this little tag too,
Dave

Attachments

• 41262816mc-crop.jpg
    41262816mc-crop.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 250

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt and thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. In my way of thinking it would be VERY DANGEROUS over there with all the Unexploded ordnance in the ground. Please be safe !!!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicest silver coin I've seen from you in awhile! Nice hunt Lu.
Hi Tim, yes, one of the best i ever found condition wise. You just don't get this quality out of fields and i rarely detect pasture as you know.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to the last field you said that you loosely gridded 25% of it?
If that has been drilled, then at least you still have a large area to explore. Good news you got scrappies in grass, that's rare over here! (unless ploughed in past years)

Unfotunately the farmer seed sugar beet this week and ours don't like footprints in fresh seeded fields. If seed in-no detecting. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Westfront, thanks for all of the in-situe pics. :thumbsup:
Your first pic of the small valley with old trees literally took my breath away.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see any of the 'old trees' that you were talking about... if you want to see 'old trees', you should see the sites I hunt. :laughing7:

Love this little tag too,
Dave

Thanks Dave. Old trees is a matter of opinion. Here, with very litte forestry a site with 150-200 year old oaktrees you can call old. I like to see some of the trees you have!
Don't know the use of these tags. We found 5 or 6 there, most broken. Could been ear marks, could also been tags for other use.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt and thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. In my way of thinking it would be VERY DANGEROUS over there with all the Unexploded ordnance in the ground. Please be safe !!!

Very quite and peaceful there. Love this place. Sometimes it's dangerous. Most of the "bigger" stuff in fields is cleared by the plough, in pasture it is like it is. I'm grown up with that. :dontknow:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfotunately the farmer seed sugar beet this week and ours don't like footprints in fresh seeded fields. If seed in-no detecting. :dontknow:
oh well, it's there next time if things get desperate.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds. interesting that the coffee is still completely readable. Hopefully you won't come across any unexploded mines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread