Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello folks!

Was super happy with this 50 cent sterling ww2 pin I found at the thrift store today. I looked on ebay, and it's going for around 40-60 dollars. Not sure if I could get that for it. But still cool.

Need some advice about this possible sterling spoon. There is markings on the back but it's Mexican or something. Anybody able to tell me if this is sterling or just plated? I think it's sterling but not sure.

Thanks for looking! Happy hunting.

20230401_182754.jpg
20230401_182817.jpg

Attachments

• 20230401_182856.jpg
    20230401_182856.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230401_182847.jpg
    20230401_182847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
Upvote 18

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks!

Was super happy with this 50 cent sterling ww2 pin I found at the thrift store today. I looked on ebay, and it's going for around 40-60 dollars. Not sure if I could get that for it. But still cool.

Need some advice about this possible sterling spoon. There is markings on the back but it's Mexican or something. Anybody able to tell me if this is sterling or just plated? I think it's sterling but not sure.

View attachment 2076885 View attachment 2076886
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. The spoon is a tourist souvenir from Mexico and probably vintage. It’s too worn and out of focus to interpret the marks but usually these are silver and to the sterling standard of .925

The design is loosely borrowed from an Aztec ‘sunstone’ calendar. This one is the Monolith of the Stone of the Sun in the National Museum of Anthropology and History, Mexico City:

Azztec Sunstone.jpg
[El Comandante, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons]

hampton detector

Feb 15, 2023
Hello folks!

View attachment 2076885 View attachment 2076886
Nice job!!!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds. The spoon is a tourist souvenir from Mexico and probably vintage. It’s too worn and out of focus to interpret the marks but usually these are silver and to the sterling standard of .925

The design is loosely borrowed from an Aztec ‘sunstone’ calendar. This one is the Monolith of the Stone of the Sun in the National Museum of Anthropology and History, Mexico City:

View attachment 2076983
[El Comandante, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons]
Great to know!! Thanks for the interesting facts.
Gotten good about spotting the difference between plated and the real deal. But still, I hate it when I don't know for certain. Will maybe get it checked out at some point.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are only pictures, but to me the known reproductions, just seem to lack in the details compared to what Mvgirl has posed.
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea about how/where to get it verified as the real thing?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally agree with Tamrock, the devil is in the details, and yours looks like the real deal, congrats on a nice score!
Hope so! Thanks. Was thrilled. Either way, it's silver, can't complain.

Just wish I knew for certain. Wonder if there's a place that can get it verified. Hmm....🤔

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions