Wyoming find

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20220924_184957-jpg.2047925

My fossil buddy has been at a site in Wyoming Dino digging off and on all summer. He gave me this from one of his trips. I'm not too familiar with western stuff but it looks like a Cody type. Shame it's damaged.

Attachments

• 20220924_184957.jpg
    20220924_184957.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 322
Upvote 13

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first impression Cody, but I’m not well versed with Cody stuff so I’d call it mostly a hunch. Is the bottom right corner damaged?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Take a look at the flaking patterns of a few in the above link. Plainview's are contemporaneous w/Angostura and many others sharing common characteristics. Wyoming is well within their distribution range.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains

Take a look at the flaking patterns of a few in the above link. Plainview's are contemporaneous w/Angostura and many others sharing common characteristics. Wyoming is well within their distribution range.
Plainview/Goshen projectiles certainly are in Wyoming. However, as I said, I have not seen an obliquely flaked example from the Northern High Plains. In the southern Plains I have seen examples the people down there call Plainviews which are obliquely flaked but then again “Plainview” tends to be a catch-all for a hodge podge of points. The page you directed me to is a great example of, “if not sure what it is, call it a Plainview”.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plainview/Goshen projectiles certainly are in Wyoming. However, as I said, I have not seen an obliquely flaked example from the Northern High Plains. In the southern Plains I have seen examples the people down there call Plainviews which are obliquely flaked but then again “Plainview” tends to be a catch-all for a hodge podge of points. The page you directed me to is a great example of, “if not sure what it is, call it a Plainview”.
Thanks for the education. I won't for get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread