X-terra 705

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't tried prospectin yet with the 705 and was wondering if anyone has used it. Curious about your thoughts on how it does for gold hunting???

Welcome! I'm sure someone can help you with your question. I own the 705, but in all honesty, I've used it mainly for coin hunting, and it's got a hot coin circuit for sure. It really snaps out the signals.

As far as gold hunting with it, I've never seriously used it for that yet. My wife used it a bit, but she's still learning. When I get serious and go to hunt gold with it, I'll buy the smallest DD sniping coil you can get for it.

I spend the vast majority of my time hunting for gold with the GPX 5000.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Yeah i got the small waterproof dd coil sittin in the package. Its my first detector and wow is it a tough one to learn on. ID numbers everywhere just gotta get use to diggin the right ones.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get out and cover a lot of ground with it. Keep a list of the numbers that show up for specific targets (you can search the Web for people that have posted target ID charts as well for the 705--they do exist).

The more you swing that detector, the more your brain, through feedback from your ear, will sensitize your brain to the highness or lowness of those tones, and pretty soon you'll get a lot more comfortable with the feedback from your detector.

If you're out coin hunting and you get a hit, switch to all metal to help with pinpointing--it makes a difference, very quickly.

All the best,

Lanny

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The X-Terra 705 is a good machine for nugget shooting. Pretty good depth and with the small double D coil it will pick up some pretty small gold. I've been using one for a couple of months now and really like it.

My main use for it is shooting the walls of the wash we've been working to make sure that we stay on the pay streak of gravels. We've dug into the wall about 3 feet and am now in an area where I'm certain that any targets are not lead. If a bullet could get that deep with all the rock we've removed then someone has been shooting armor piercing rounds.

If you're going to use it for prospecting, switch it to that mode and get out of the "All Metal". After a while you'll find the tones for gold, junk metal, hot rocks etc and won't have to dig every target.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only use the 705 for gold. had a gpx4000 but sold it as since I bought my 705 in 2009, I have only found one piece og gold with 4000. All the rest found with my 705. have you seen the banner for the minelab websight on the 705 gold page? those nuggets around the dime and the 1758 coin are my finds. I will never get rid of my 705 for gold hunting.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny, its goldseeker4000. How have you been? We got a Cabela's here in Kalispell, Mt now. I work there and we have a prospecting and detecting section of the store. I work in that department as well as camping.

OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Cool and congrats on the finds! Glad to know its a great gold hunter! I wanted it to be my first machine. even though tough to learn on it sounds like a solid machine that i wouldn't need to really trade up to another, from what everyone has said about the 705 gold pack.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny, its goldseeker4000. How have you been? We got a Cabela's here in Kalispell, Mt now. I work there and we have a prospecting and detecting section of the store. I work in that department as well as camping.

(NNieto--please excuse me for jumping in here.)
You fell off the face of the earth man. What happened to you? I was just at the store last week with my wife. PM me and send me your new cell number and I'll call you.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Heck no. I don't mind at all! Just thanks for all feedback about the 705

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread